1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

98 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

I wanted to wait till the truck was done b4 posting here, but here I am, the truck is done.... FINALLY.

The gears and locker are in, and the new driveshaft is in, and it works great, I had it out on the highway and it seems to get a better ride at higher speeds..... Good thing....

Specs:

D44 Front axle from a 84 Grand Waggy wide-trac
4:10 Gear ratio Locked
Warn Manual hubs
Leaf spring suspension
Rancho 5000 shocks all around
94 X steering box
Tom Woods custom front driveshaft
Woodring driveshafts custom rear driveshaft
rear SOA and 3" blocks
Modified Tranny Crossmember (to allow driveshaft to fit)
all the rest of the SAS is custom fabricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey lizardtrac i was wondering if you had any pics of where you mounted your steering box
thanks

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

crap.. pics of steering.... next on my list....

Just got done with the manual t-case swap...

shifter1.jpg

shifter2.jpg

i know you probably posted this before but what are 20 or so switches for? and I am surprised your interior is so clean with all the wheeling you do. Good job

i posted this in the other thread too. what perches did you use for the SOA conversion.. i need to know what to ask for at A&A tomorrow.

thanks

Originally posted by Bigcheck1
i posted this in the other thread too. what perches did you use for the SOA conversion.. i need to know what to ask for at A&A tomorrow.

thanks
I bought generic perches from a local 4x4 shop and grinded on them to fit the axle tube. I payed $12 for the pair. But if you wanna go spend $45 plus shipping for some that say they are for the 8.8 off a website, then go right ahead. :D

Originally posted by Johnstone
I bought generic perches from a local 4x4 shop and grinded on them to fit the axle tube. I payed $12 for the pair. :D

I did the same thing.

then thats what i'm gonna do

I just went to a&a and asked for 2" leaf spring pirches... they gave me the correct ones, and they are pretty beafy too.. $20

hey lizard ... do ya still got your old shift motor of the auto t case if so ill take it off your hands.....
thanks

Originally posted by hardazz04
hey lizard ... do ya still got your old shift motor of the auto t case if so ill take it off your hands.....
thanks

yeah.. actually I have 2 shift motors and one good 4405, and one beat on 4405

how much u want for it? the good one that is...

the whole 4405 w/shift motor, or just the shift motor, both shift motors were tested and work fine.

heres updated pics of the t-case shifter...

shifter3.jpg

shifter4.jpg

Now that's pretty...where'd you get that?

made it.... had the diamond plate sitting in the garage for over a year now...

Very, very nice touch...like the Ford emblem on it too.

Well im not sure i might need both the t case and the shift motor.... when i took my old shift motor off i could only turn the t case a little bit manually... does that sound right or does that sound like my t case is locked up? can you give me prices for both?
thanks alot

Make sure you have the truck in Neutral with the e-brake on when you try to shift the t-case by hand ...you should be able to put a pair of vise grips on the selector and enguage both positions, try turning the input, and front output shafts while trying to enguage it, if it still doesnt go into gear, the t-case may be shot. Which front output shaft do you have on yours? the round cup w/cv joint, or half moon type for cardan joints?

Lizard, I'm assuming the rear brake hose is the same between the XLT and the Sport.

Did you use Stainless Steel Extended Brake lines?

I think I read that somewhere...I may be wrong...

Do you have a Part# for the Rear and who you got it from, I put the Bronco knuckles on the front and have the Bronco tubes I'm going to try and fit to the axle for the front...I need to locate a Stainless line for the rear. What length did you use?

Thanks.

cdsl227 said:
Lizard, I'm assuming the rear brake hose is the same between the XLT and the Sport.

Did you use Stainless Steel Extended Brake lines?

I think I read that somewhere...I may be wrong...

Do you have a Part# for the Rear and who you got it from, I put the Bronco knuckles on the front and have the Bronco tubes I'm going to try and fit to the axle for the front...I need to locate a Stainless line for the rear. What length did you use?

Thanks.
This is the same thing I need to know.. What are the gen 2 guys doing for the rear brake hose for SOA.
-Martin

Back