1999 Explorer - Passenger door will not lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer - Passenger door will not lock

EricJRW

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Door will not lock with ether the door lock switch or the knob (?) on the door.

I have the panel off, and am looking around inside, but can't make heads or tails of the mechanics.

Is there something I should try?

Thank you in advance for your help, Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If all else fails I would take the driver's side panel off and compare the two. I'd expect to find some plastic part in the linkage, or a spring has failed.

Pretty vague symptoms. Can you unlock, or is there any noise when using the door switch?

Can you lock the door with the key? Is the door latch moving freely? Other door locks working?

Pretty vague symptoms. Can you unlock, or is there any noise when using the door switch?

Can you lock the door with the key? Is the door latch moving freely? Other door locks working?

Such a brilliant question. The key turns freely and does not seem to be moving anything (I was not looking inside the door). The latch does not seem to move freely, in the sense it goes nowhere. It moves up and down about 1/4 of an inch. Other doors and locks are working. Makes me think two things have gone wrong...

Other doors are working.

Not liking the idea of pulling the other panel, but I think that's what I need to do, as I need to lubricate the window slide mechanism anyways, as the window does not go down, or up, freely.

I'm thinking 18 years is too much time on this Explorer.

Thank you, Eric

Before doing anything, open the door and flush the latch out with WD-40 or similar. If you look in the latch, there are two crescent shaped "claws" that must open and close freely. Use a flat head screwdriver to free them up if they're sticking.

My guess is that you have a broken spring inside the door latch mechanism. I had this happen on my '97's driver's door latch. It would work 80% of the time but 20% of the time it wouldn't lock or unlock. I was about to remove the latch when I noticed a small (ball point pen-sized) spring loose inside the latch by looking through the jaws. I was able to carefully remove the spring with a dental pick and then the latch worked fine for years. Later I found out this spring breaking is a fairly common Explorer latch failure point. It's worth a look.

As far as the key just spinning, the key cylinder has a rod connected to it that connects to the door latch. If the key just spins it sounds like that rod has fallen off. Check for that too.

Yeah, spray some WD-40 or light grease into all the lock mechanisms for good measure. Don't forget the back hatch, gate and glass mechanisms.

My guess is that you have a broken spring inside the door latch mechanism. I had this happen on my '97's driver's door latch. It would work 80% of the time but 20% of the time it wouldn't lock or unlock. I was about to remove the latch when I noticed a small (ball point pen-sized) spring loose inside the latch by looking through the jaws. I was able to carefully remove the spring with a dental pick and then the latch worked fine for years. Later I found out this spring breaking is a fairly common Explorer latch failure point. It's worth a look.

As far as the key just spinning, the key cylinder has a rod connected to it that connects to the door latch. If the key just spins it sounds like that rod has fallen off. Check for that too.

Good tips, thank you. This did fail over time. So your 80% rings true with me.

I dread going back behind that door panel.

Eric

Another thing to look for which helps diagnose the spring,
with the door panel off, take note of the exterior handle door rod. It's the top vertical one.
Push it up with your hands, then check operation of the door lack and latch. Is there a lot of up and down movement? There is a spring which is supposed to hold it up in it's home position, and if it isn't nothing will work inside the latch.

After cleaning, lubing, and looking for the broken door latch spring, the first step is removing the glass run channel for visibility. Remove the bolt and make sure all wiring is free before pulling the channel straight down. Make sure ALL lock rod linkages are connected. Here are a couple threads NOT specific to your LOCKING issue, but the pics may help. Also, a small mirror and flashlight may help to inspect. Be careful, lots of sharp edges. Many here with experience, door locks are not one of the Explorer's stronger points.

Write Up - Door won't unlock? Quick and Free Fix!!! | Ford Explorer and Ford

door latch problem solved - temporarily maybe?? | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

@swshawaii, Interesting point about the window. Does the window need to come out when the "glass run channel" is removed? It is such a tricky/tight place to work, that maybe getting as much stuff out of the way as possible is a good idea.

Thank you for those links too. Looking now.

Thank you, Eric

^ No, window does not need to "come out", just roll the window UP. Read OP from first link.

I thought Id mention that I had the rivet that holds the locking solenoid to the door break. The door lock solenoid was loose inside the door, so it would not 'pull' the locking mechanism down when locking. The fix was a nut and bolt rather than the large rivet that broke. When your inside the door panel, it might be worth grabbing that solenoid and making sure its solidly mounted.

Before doing anything, open the door and flush the latch out with WD-40 or similar. If you look in the latch, there are two crescent shaped "claws" that must open and close freely. Use a flat head screwdriver to free them up if they're sticking.
Thank you. I am familiar with those claws, and do need to pry and lube them periodically.
I may get back inside this door today, but it's been on hold do to other things.
Eric

Back