2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't been to a JY in over a year, but usually for every 10 Explorers I saw then, about four had good console pieces. I'd say go look there once a month or so, and you should find one before too long. I was buying the old 95/96 console pieces when I looked last, I wanted that version with the ashtray that had a closing lid. I found one in decent shape, but like most they need repainting etc. They all have a rubber coating, and almost none of that survived after this long.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Spent a few hours cleaning up the console and interior pieces I had yanked out of the truck... ick, lol. Also found my stupid console lid where the screws go into the bottom of it to hold the plastic pieces together that the piece the fabric is attached to a number of the screw hole insert pieces are shattered and the screws cannot screw in to hold it firmly in place.. Need to find a new lid or something :-/

I noticed on eBay that there are many aftermarket console lids. I was after a leather one, but there are lots with vinyl or other fabrics. The big key was many had new main sections, so that will replace yours well, even if you wanted to recover that later.

I noticed on eBay that there are many aftermarket console lids. I was after a leather one, but there are lots with vinyl or other fabrics. The big key was many had new main sections, so that will replace yours well, even if you wanted to recover that later.
Yeah, that's what I will probably do and then swap the leather fabric and foam from my current lid over onto the new fresh plastic piece.

I ordered up some cleaning items such as a small steamer and a carpet cleaner type deal to super clean the seats, and also some stuff to treat the interior plastics to look nice. Need to get some wire brushes or something to strip down the funky looking rusty seat frames and maybe spray paint those or something to keep them looking good before I put seats back together.

Finished up cleaning the seats... had them pulled out and used some upholstery spray foam cleaner, let it soak a bit, and then used an extractor tool to suction them down and man it pulled out some funky colored water, lol. Also did a decent repair job on the driver seat where the foam had collapsed in the bottom bolster. I pulled the broken bits out and then stuffed the gaps with some foam filler material and it seems pretty solid. Also re-hooked a couple seat wires that somehow popped loose and 1 spring that cam undone.

I got my replacement console lid from Amazon a few days ago and pulled apart my old one (which I had ordered off some website years ago with the upgraded foam padding and leather material) and went to attach the foam and leather onto the new lid and realized my upholstery stapler sucks and just ordered a pneumatic one (should be here Monday). Need that to finish up the console lid. Hit the rusty chair leg attachment points with steel wool drill bit thing to clean them up decently and will order carpet next week and finish cleaning up the interior before I buckle it all back together :D

I got my replacement console lid from Amazon a few days ago and pulled apart my old one
I recovered my armrest a couple of years ago. I also got it from Amazon and have been very pleased with it. It is amazing how such a small item can make such a big difference. When you get that new carpet in it's really going to pop.

Ditto, the armrest is a big deal item. I kept the leather one from a console I got from my 99, wrong color grey, but it's better than the vinyl by a lot.

The pneumatic staple gun worked awesome and I got the console lid finished up!

The replacement console:
IMG-20210205-123107-01.jpg

New lid vs old lid underside, can see all the broken screw posts:
IMG-20210205-134115-01.jpg

Old lid pulled apart:
IMG-20210205-133445-01.jpg

Old lid with the leather and foam removed... under it is some old lid from I don't know what year Explorer, lol. I forgot the place I bought the lid from but you can buy it full price and they send it with the leather, foam, on a used lid, or, you can send your lid in for a discount:
IMG-20210205-134647-01.jpg

I just put the foam and leather around the new lid (didn't take the old lid cover off or anything):
IMG-20210205-134849-01.jpg

All done! Turned out pretty good:
IMG-20210208-174239-01.jpg

New finished lid next to old lid and broken bottom plastic piece:
IMG-20210208-174223-01.jpg

Minty

Crazy Texas super winter storm delayed a bunch of things... My carpet I had ordered is currently MIA somewhere in the hands of UPS... Hopefully it arrives eventually so that I can install it and get the interior back in and get to working on the brakes and such, plus get the AC checked out/charged :D My oldest is getting her learners permit and told her she can drive this thing, lol.. Def not touching my ZL1 :D

I hope you did okay with the power outages.

BTW, there's a turbo system available now if you wanted to go back to that Explorer toy zone. It's Dono's truck, he had two relays die, and an oil leak that may be the thrust bearing again. He sold it and the drivetrain will come out of it soon.

I hope you did okay with the power outages.

BTW, there's a turbo system available now if you wanted to go back to that Explorer toy zone. It's Dono's truck, he had two relays die, and an oil leak that may be the thrust bearing again. He sold it and the drivetrain will come out of it soon.
Yeah, I saw about the Dono build.. unfortunate! haha.. maybe down the road I'll go back into crazy Xploder mode :D Haha. Right now I'm getting the car freshened up finally. Got an email earlier with an update that the carpet should arrive tomorrow finally so hopefully this weekend is calm and I can begin getting everything back into the car and then work on looking into the brakes and try to figure out the front center console pieces.

Well... UPS now shows my package with carpet is "severe weather delay" lol.. and.. no ETA right now, lol.

Carpet came in, woo! Only issue... I should of kept my original carpet to template from to make the various cuts for center console/etc... ugh, lol. I tossed it as pretty much a biohazard sooooo... this will be interesting!

IMG-20210302-223026.jpg

Very good, I hope you like it. Let me know how that goes and how it fits compare to the original.

Very good, I hope you like it. Let me know how that goes and how it fits compare to the original.
Will do! Kind of wish I kept the nasty old carpet now as a template... Lol.

Been a little busy but still cleaning up interior pieces I left in the car as good as I can and cleaning the trunk carpet and trunk carpet floor mat. Will do some additional clean up of the metal floor in the passenger compartment and hopefully begin on installing the new carpet... lol :D

Spent a few hours cleaning the metal floor and interior trim, dash, etc, as best as I could and also yanked the super old walmart radio (probably find a cheap newer replacement). Also need to maybe grab a new cheap AF gauge to replace the old falling apart one and then maybe some kind of USB pod to plug into where the old boost gauge was lol.

IMG-20210314-183045.jpg

IMG-20210314-183039.jpg

IMG-20210314-183117.jpg

IMG-20210314-183145.jpg

Also yanked out old left over amp wiring, the old boost gauge vac line, etc. Will probably swap in the new hood release cable I still have as well as new set of cruise control switches and a figure out something for the radio surround piece that had a spot for a super old sat radio faceplate lol.

Excellent, that is great work. How is your steering wheel, is it something you might want to replace some day? I'm not close yet to getting my 99 running again, but I plan to reinstall the old two spoke wheel. I had swapped a very nice four spoke wheel in thinking it would be better to steer with one hand but I do just as well with the two spoke wheel. I won't need the two spoke wheel when I get the truck going again.

I would like to find a couple of spare clock springs from 98-01 Explorers(with the two spoke wheel). Have you yet explored your local area for good salvage yards?

Back