2008 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 AWD (Ford Explorer) Engine Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 AWD (Ford Explorer) Engine Replacement

dwonzer

Reaction score
I am having to replace the engine on a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 and am looking for any advice, recommendations, tricks and instructions. We've already grabbed a used engine from a local salvage yard. I should be able to get the instructions off of All Data but was wondering if anyone had any other pictures or step by step instructions.

Did that few years ago. Not that bad after all.

Biggest issue was to remove the AC compressor and PS pump while on the engine, could not do that.
Also, remove the intake manifold to get to the top 2 transmission bolts. Also, the enigine will come out easier.

Why did I pull my engine out twice in a month - long story.

Did that few years ago. Not that bad after all.

He says with a certain swagger :laugh:

I can't help but I wanted to remind you of the real purpose of a engine hoist -

ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

"... with a certain swagger" - that was a good one :chug:

I would not want to do it again though. Getting too old for that, but the son's 4.0 is making stupid noises and if those are timing chains, it will have to come out. Although my plan is to sit back with a cold 6 pack and tell him what to do, he's only 16 but can turn some wrenches.

Yep Eddy, engine hoist - used to test how much you can stretch sensor wires, coolant hoses, engine harness !!!!!!!!

That's was funny too.

PS: Make it 12 pack

Back