2016 Explorer Pre Collision System Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Pre Collision System Issue

Meyerhoffj

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer - Platinum
I just sold my 2011 Explorer and bought a new 2016. I love the truck except the pre collision system does not work properly. I took it to my dealer and they had my Explorer for two and a half days. They said they calibrated the system and it was working properly. I left the dealership and immediately knew it wasn't

With my 2011, the system gave you plenty of notice before you got too close. On my 2016 it does not come on until you almost hit the car in front of you. I scared the heck out of the service advisor showing him. The warning light and alarm will come on but not until you are 3-4' behind the car ahead of you.

We took another 2016 off the lot and it was the same.

The assistant service manager said he would send a note to the Ford hotline, but I don't have a lot of faith I will hear back.

I don't have any error messages and the adaptive cruise, lane keeping and parking assist all work so it seems to me to be a sensor distance adjustment rather than a system failure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are settings for it on our Platinum. I'm not with the car right now, but if memory serves there were three levels of sensitivity to choose from.

Yup, there are sensitivity settings on the left display of your instrument cluster, Low, Normal and High.

Have you read your manual?? Page 102...

I just sold my 2011 Explorer and bought a new 2016. I love the truck except the pre collision system does not work properly. I took it to my dealer and they had my Explorer for two and a half days. They said they calibrated the system and it was working properly. I left the dealership and immediately knew it wasn't

With my 2011, the system gave you plenty of notice before you got too close. On my 2016 it does not come on until you almost hit the car in front of you. I scared the heck out of the service advisor showing him. The warning light and alarm will come on but not until you are 3-4' behind the car ahead of you.

We took another 2016 off the lot and it was the same.

The assistant service manager said he would send a note to the Ford hotline, but I don't have a lot of faith I will hear back.

I don't have any error messages and the adaptive cruise, lane keeping and parking assist all work so it seems to me to be a sensor distance adjustment rather than a system failure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If your setting is on LOW then I would question the Service Advisor's knowledge of the vehicle's systems.
Also, please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That sometimes makes it easier to address certain concerns. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks for the replies. It is a Platinum and I am aware of the settings. I should have stated that. It is set on high.

Yes, I have read the manuals.

Even on high setting no warnings sound (lights in dash or tone) when I approach a car ahead of me.

I should have also added my 2011 Explorer Limited also had collision avoidance which worked properly so I do know what it is supposed to be doing.

Thanks again for the responses.

I keep mine on Normal so if you are not getting much warning, then clearly as you stated there is an issue.

Sorry, can't be any more help then that.. the dealer will have to see what Ford says.

yeah on normal i find it too obtrusive with in-town driving... with what you describe, doesn't sound like it's working correctly.

Back