2020 LED Upgrades - Links Added | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

Have the backup LED's on order from Amazon, should be here to tomorrow, took one tail light assembly apart to have a "look see" easy to change out the bulbs. License plate lamps not a priority for me, can't see them while driving or backing up.
T Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the backup LED's on order from Amazon, should be here to tomorrow, took one tail light assembly apart to have a "look see" easy to change out the bulbs. License plate lamps not a priority for me, can't see them while driving or backing up.
T Bill

Yet you still know they are there mentally.. :thumbsup:

Here are the Reverse Lights
And the Signal Light

20191113_074249.jpg

20191113_074236.jpg

Yet you still know they are there mentally.. :thumbsup:
I know, right, like how can he sleep at night knowing every time his license plates lights come on they are s l o w l y powering up with their weak incandescent glow of a fragile filament, a technology dating all the way back to 1761 which hasn't been much improved upon since the 1800s? You can almost imagine an old and feeble Henry Ford himself screwing in the bulb muttering to himself, "This will be adequate." TBill can probably hear the bulb's resonant hum as he drives like the Tell-Tale Heart screaming out to him:

"I felt that I must scream or die! and now --again! --hark! louder! louder! louder! louder!
"[Passengers]!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the [light assembly]! here, here! -- It is the [buzzing] of of [the] hideous [bulbs]!"​

T Bill
Your post had me just check the Manual on mine and found out all interior and exterior bulbs are LED.

Peter

Your post had me just check the Manual on mine and found out all interior and exterior bulbs are LED.

Peter

So are mine :laugh:

OK, I installed the reverse LED lamps today, guess you guys got to me, I'll order the license plate LEDs next. It was super easy to pop out the rear lamp assembly by simply removing the 11 mm bolt.
Thanks,

TBill

Replaced the marker plate lamps with the Philips LEDs today, definitely check the bulb orientation, had to reverse both of them, both worked fine after changing the orientation.

Replaced the marker plate lamps with the Philips LEDs today, definitely check the bulb orientation, had to reverse both of them, both worked fine after changing the orientation.

50/50 chance on getting it right the first time.. hope you don't play the lottery :laugh:

LEDs emit a much brighter light and the only thing that the incandescent bulbs have in common is that they are all at the rear of the vehicle. I doubt that is a coincidence.

Peter
That is kind of an incorrect statement as LED's are more efficient but the color (brightness) is determined by the Kelvin (K). For example a 4000k lamp is considered neutral which is equal to the full moon on a clear night, 3000k being warmer or more yellow and 5000k being hotter or more white. In the case of the mentioned license plate lamp linked below he is using 6000k which is very bright or white.

So used the same LED turn signals and theybare a vast improvement.

Also did the LED license plate lights but went with more expensive Philips LEDs. Didnt want to deal with cheap LEDs and starting to flicker with how much these lights are on (as opposed to interior lights). Left side LED, right side halogen in video (to compare)

View attachment 172842

Is it the two torx screws at the top that release the taillight to replace the backup and turn signals?

Is it the two torx screws at the top that release the taillight to replace the backup and turn signals?
It’s the two torx screws and also a screw which is behind a cover on the inside of the hatch.

Nope, pop the small square trim cover and it will expose the 1 piece you have to unscrew.

It’s the two torx screws and also a screw which is behind a cover on the inside of the hatch.

You do not have to remove the torx screws. There is only 1 under the plastic cover that is required.

You do not have to remove the torx screws. There is only 1 under the plastic cover that is required.
On both of my lights I couldn’t get them off without removing the torx screws. They were locked down by the bracket with the torx screws. How’d you get them off without removing? I’d like to know for the next time you upgrade your led lights and I have to go do the same. Lol

Removed that white plastic piece (screw or whatever you call it) from behind the cover and pulled the taillight out sideways. It popped right out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While it is possible to remove the rear lamp housing without removing the two Torx screws securing the bracket above the lamp housing, I chose to remove the screws and the black bracket. It allowed me to make sure the black plastic trim piece that snaps into the housing on the inside exposed edge was back where it belonged when I put the lamp housing back. No big deal, remove the 2 Torx screws as well as the 11 MM plastic bolt under the little access cover. Should take no more than 5 minutes.

TBill

Back