2020 ST EXPLORER THAT BACK UP STOP ASSIST IS NOT AVAILABLE. . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 ST EXPLORER THAT BACK UP STOP ASSIST IS NOT AVAILABLE. .

reichm

Reaction score
City, State
MEBANE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
BACK UP STOP ASSIST NOT WORKING AFTER GETTING BLUE SCREEN RECALL TAKEN CARE OF? FORD CLAIMS ITS THE WINDSHIELD IS CAUSING IT NOT TO BE CALIBRATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BACK UP STOP ASSIST NOT WORKING AFTER GETTING BLUE SCREEN RECALL TAKEN CARE OF? FORD CLAIMS ITS THE WINDSHIELD IS CAUSING IT NOT TO BE CALIBRATED

Some folks have had the issue after having the recall done. It seems to be the "luck" of the draw. Our '20 ST never experienced the issue so I never had the recall work done. No sense "fixing" something that isn't broken.

Some folks have had the issue after having the recall done. It seems to be the "luck" of the draw. Our '20 ST never experienced the issue so I never had the recall work done. No sense "fixing" something that isn't broken.
I'm on my third camera in 4.5 years and so far so good with this one but it's only been a few months. The last two cameras, the original factory and replacement both worked well for about a year or so then started having the blue screen. But there were also software updates and a new wiring harness I believe.

On my 2020, I never saw the blue screen until maybe 2 years after I bought it. Coincidentally, I see a IMPB module update they did for a deep sleep TSB. Well a couple of recalls later (IMPB updates), the blue screen is even worse. The latest IMPB update 1/2024 seems to have fixed this problem on original camera hardware no less. So no, will not be going in to get the new camera and harness installed! They are likely to mess something else up. Also, I read the recall doc and there is no mention of calibrating the 360 camera system, which in my car is perfect right now. No thank you!

Are you getting a fault light or code, or just noticed it isn't working? I've had the recall done on my 2020 ST and the rear cross detection or rear emergency braking is not functioning. The car has been into the dealer twice now and they can't find a fault.

Are you getting a fault light or code, or just noticed it isn't working? I've had the recall done on my 2020 ST and the rear cross detection or rear emergency braking is not functioning. The car has been into the dealer twice now and they can't find a fault.
It just says its unavailable with a message and beeping. I got my front window replaced because they said it needed to be recalibrated to make it start working again. Now with a new window they say it has to be a ford window and that's why it's not working. I'm not going to pay 500.00 to replace a new window with a new window. Previously they tried an update at least 5 times saying that was going to work and somehow charged my extended warranty even after the recall fix caused it to stop working. Not even sure what to do other than leave it turned off which still comes up with message saying its turned off.

In the warranty period, I'd have Ford fix it, outside of the warranty period, I'd just as soon forget about it. I just don't like all this new nonsense.

It just says its unavailable with a message and beeping. I got my front window replaced because they said it needed to be recalibrated to make it start working again. Now with a new window they say it has to be a ford window and that's why it's not working. I'm not going to pay 500.00 to replace a new window with a new window. Previously they tried an update at least 5 times saying that was going to work and somehow charged my extended warranty even after the recall fix caused it to stop working. Not even sure what to do other than leave it turned off which still comes up with message saying its turned off.
I have an aftermarket windshield and zero issues. I have heard of issues from aftermarkets but fortunately haven't experienced any. Didn't even have to have my camera recalibrated.

I can say that my third camera has a better quality image than the first two. Also, the reverse assist fault used to occur with or without the blue screen intermittently until I had the recall work done. The reverse brake assist not available message is part of the camera/blue screen recall.

I can say that my third camera has a better quality image than the first two. Also, the reverse assist fault used to occur with or withouth the blue screen intermittently until I had the recall work done. The reverse brake assist not available message is part of the camera/blue screen recall.
That’s what I thought too but Ford seems to think differently.

That’s what I thought too but Ford seems to think differently.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I, for one, fail to see what the calibration of the windshield has to do with the Reverse Brake Assist? :dunno::dunno:
The front calibration is not for the windshield but is for the sensor features such as Lane Keeping/Centering, etc which are located in the base of the rearview mirror and as far as I know, have nothing to do with backing up.
Unless there is something that I'm not aware of, I'd suggest a different dealer.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I, for one, fail to see what the calibration of the windshield has to do with the Reverse Brake Assist? :dunno::dunno:
The front calibration is not for the windshield but is for the sensor features such as Lane Keeping/Centering, etc which are located in the base of the rearview mirror and as far as I know, have nothing to do with backing up.
Unless there is something that I'm not aware of, I'd suggest a different dealer.

Peter
Thanks, I agree, and the bad thing is that the dealer/service is saying that's what Ford is telling them to do.

Back