3.5L Ecoboost: Cold Start Noise

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I could use some help.
2017 Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost with 100K miles.

The engine makes a rattling sound on cold start and goes away after 1-2 seconds.
No noise made on any further starts through the day. Seems to repeat every morning on 1st start.

Unsure if this is related... on occasion the engine won't start on the 1st try.

Dealer suspects it's from the bottom end and is steering me to a new car.

This is the noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea what that might be but it doesn't sound good. Curious as to why it only happens at the first start of the day. Hopefully another member may have some insight into that noise.

Peter

I was going to say timing chain/tensioner related, but after listening to the video, that sounds different.

Before your next cold start, hold throttle to floor and push start button to crank engine without firing for a few seconds (2-3).
Then start normally and see if it goes away.

It’s a bad cam phaser. I’ve seen videos of other Fords / Lincolns with ecoboost engines with this same noise upon startup.

Below is a tech talking about this issue

Hope this helps

I also suspect cam phaser is ticking because its not getting any oil. Like mentioned if you prime the engine first and then start it normally I bet it will not make that noise.

How frequently are you changing the oil?

The no start issue would be unrelated to this noise by the way. I suspect something else is going on there.

Have you checked for any codes?

Back