3rd gen Explorer Coilovers | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the 2nd gen has a bump on the frame , may be an option to look at,, just weld a bolt on, and thread an external bump into it,
4603200244%202.jpg

Day 3 after the install and I loving the coilovers. Way better ride, and better flex. I highly recommend this to any one who wants to do this. If anybody as questions, just let me know. Only thing I have left to do is a limit strap, and I am changing the coils to 750lbs.

Day 3 after the install and I loving the coilovers. Way better ride, and better flex. I highly recommend this to any one who wants to do this. If anybody as questions, just let me know. Only thing I have left to do is a limit strap, and I am changing the coils to 750lbs.

This is an excellent thread, and I've been following it since the beginning. How about writing up a comprehensive how-to? And use this thread as a discussion for it. This thread has most of the info one would need, but its scattered over several posts. I mean, I'm looking at 14 pages on my phone at the moment....

This is an excellent thread, and I've been following it since the beginning. How about writing up a comprehensive how-to? And use this thread as a discussion for it. This thread has most of the info one would need, but its scattered over several posts. I mean, I'm looking at 14 pages on my phone at the moment....

I can do that, will take me a little time but I'll do it and Ronin can add some stuff too.

I can do that, will take me a little time but I'll do it and Ronin can add some stuff too.

I think he's already got one in the works for the 4th gen. section.

You did a great job on this mod,, it looks killer and i am guessing works great,,
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

also any questions on the stuff i helped with , i am an open book, ask away, willing to help any way i can,,

congrats on this thread becoming a sticky,,
you worked pretty hard on this,, it's a nice reward,,

congrats on this thread becoming a sticky,,
you worked pretty hard on this,, it's a nice reward,,

Thanks Corkey. One week and still loving these! Waiting on my new springs and limiting straps to come in. Plan on going to Coal Creek(Windrock) to do some wheeling in Feb. to really test these out.

now, you need to get the back going,,

lol,,

just kidding, take your time,, you deserve it,,

Great write up congratulations on this becoming a sticky. i may have to let a friend know about this thread.

Alright got the 750lb springs today, much better. Need to drive some more and then adjust the preload. Right now I am at 38.75" Front, 39" Rear.
DSCN0218_zpsb604255a.jpg

DSCN0216_zps45e7c4b4.jpg

DSCN0213_zps85fd3017.jpg

Like the hunter orange springs! Truck is looking great!

Only thing holding me back from doing a 1.5" body lift is all the bs with the front and rear bumpers, won't move up easy like the third gen. Oh well, have to remember that my new truck isn't going to be as modified as the last.

Only thing holding me back from doing a 1.5" body lift is all the bs with the front and rear bumpers, won't move up easy like the third gen. Oh well, have to remember that my new truck isn't going to be as modified as the last.

I don't think there is much more I am going to do, may do the rear coilovers. I would like to do a bumper, but without a plasma cutter would be a little harder.

looks damn good.

I would like to do a bumper, but without a plasma cutter would be a little harder.

Maybe there is a shop in your area that could do the cutting for you. Just mock everything up with cardboard pieces and then take that to them so they know what to cut. Then just weld it all together yourself.

Yea I got the PAC racing springs only come in the orange. We always say we will not modify, but then before we know, we are doing mods and planning more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made some extended sway bar links to today and installed them. I adjusted the preload on my drivers side to get both sides even. I am at 38.75 front and rear. I have 13" clearance front crossmember and 13" at the frame. Here's a couple pics.
DSCN0222_zps3f14f5a6.jpg

DSCN0221_zps354383a9.jpg

DSCN0223_zpsee720d44.jpg

Back