4.0L Engine Year Compatibility? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Engine Year Compatibility?

the timing components got stronger over the years
Otherwise intakes changed and some plumbing.
97 sohc has return fuel and uses a fuel line and regulator that is near impossible to find anymore
the 01+ SOHCs we see high miles from them
The 04 SOHC we see VERY high miles from them with regular oil changes,, Im talking 250-350K miles
Once the weak timing components are addressed these engines are tough as nails!
the early ones simply had crappy timing parts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the timing components got stronger over the years
Otherwise intakes changed and some plumbing.
97 sohc has return fuel and uses a fuel line and regulator that is near impossible to find anymore
the 01+ SOHCs we see high miles from them
The 04 SOHC we see VERY high miles from them with regular oil changes,, Im talking 250-350K miles
Once the weak timing components are addressed these engines are tough as nails!
the early ones simply had crappy timing parts
Thanks for the reply. So do you feel that a 97 dated longblock and an 04 dated longblock rebuilt by the same place would be identical?

I’m not sure if there were changes to the heads or anything in the lower end on the sohc, I think all of the updates to the longblock were to the timing components
Others here will know
More than I, I have only owned one sohc personally and we blew it up! I have repaired and swapped and worked on many. But never deep inside the block… never needed to. Instead we just swap them with a later model lower mile (plentiful) usually i get the engine for free by recycling the rest of the truck

The engine rebuilder should be competent enough to update your old 97 block to use all the new goodies. However that’s a discussion you should have with them.

Most sohcs simply need a light hone, new rings, bearings, heads and the latest timing components to be near bulletproof. The lower end is extremely tough. The 97-98 recalls were for the cassettes and tensioners, those outdated parts are long gone now. I have never seen a sohc fail due to a lower end issue, they always go way before their time due to a timing issue (and lack of clean oil)

Picked up a 04 Mazda b4000 last week with 156k miles on it sohc runs like a top, trans is perfect l, it has a 4.10 rear axle. Somebody hit a rock or something it broke a knuckle and shattered the front diff. The seats and cats were gone before I got to it… but I can sell the rear axle for $600 (4.1 limited slip) keep the engine trans t case exhaust then we will keep the 4 door cab as it has a perfect roof and glass…I wish I had the seats too… the b4000 buckets are the best paid $800 for the truck no title

I’m not sure if there were changes to the heads or anything in the lower end on the sohc, I think all of the updates to the longblock were to the timing components
Others here will know
More than I, I have only owned one sohc personally and we blew it up! I have repaired and swapped and worked on many. But never deep inside the block… never needed to. Instead we just swap them with a later model lower mile (plentiful) usually i get the engine for free by recycling the rest of the truck

The engine rebuilder should be competent enough to update your old 97 block to use all the new goodies. However that’s a discussion you should have with them.

Most sohcs simply need a light hone, new rings, bearings, heads and the latest timing components to be near bulletproof. The lower end is extremely tough. The 97-98 recalls were for the cassettes and tensioners, those outdated parts are long gone now. I have never seen a sohc fail due to a lower end issue, they always go way before their time due to a timing issue (and lack of clean oil)

Picked up a 04 Mazda b4000 last week with 156k miles on it sohc runs like a top, trans is perfect l, it has a 4.10 rear axle. Somebody hit a rock or something it broke a knuckle and shattered the front diff. The seats and cats were gone before I got to it… but I can sell the rear axle for $600 (4.1 limited slip) keep the engine trans t case exhaust then we will keep the 4 door cab as it has a perfect roof and glass…I wish I had the seats too… the b4000 buckets are the best paid $800 for the truck no title
Thank you for your insights! The rattle I heard in my 97 Sport with 90k was more then likely the belt tensioner. I plan on changing the cam tensioners as a preventative measure soon, but will probably replace the engine with a rebuilt instead of doing the chains as I don't have the ability myself. I'm hoping this doesn't happen anytime soon, but it is good to be prepared. Now I need to figure out what the best way to go is if the tranny goes.

If I had a good running sohc with no cold start rattle and planned to keep it
I would:

replace both tensioners every 60-80k miles and use ford parts (or at first sign of cold start rattle)
Or
Install manual tensioners set them once and forget it

I would also open the front cover and delete the balance chain and upgrade the main chain tensioner

Change my oil very often
Consider a pre oiler

Some of the 97-98 engines that had the factory recall done (and the owners change their oil 3500-5000 miles w full synthetic) are the ones I/ we see the 300+k miles from. Likely has to do with the dealer doing the install of the upgraded parts (some dealers Better than others)

And the informed consumer who is now aware how important oil changes are to the sohcs timing system!

As I said before by 2002 Or 2004 (newer intake) they are very strong engines, hard to kill. And they make v8 power. The transmissions (4r 5r55e) also improved with later years. Finding a good 04-11 auto trans low miles is like Gold to me! Allows me to save another ranger / explorer and put it back on the road

If I had a good running sohc with no cold start rattle and planned to keep it
I would:

replace both tensioners every 60-80k miles and use ford parts (or at first sign of cold start rattle)
Or
Install manual tensioners set them once and forget it

I would also open the front cover and delete the balance chain and upgrade the main chain tensioner

Change my oil very often
Consider a pre oiler

Some of the 97-98 engines that had the factory recall done (and the owners change their oil 3500-5000 miles w full synthetic) are the ones I/ we see the 300+k miles from. Likely has to do with the dealer doing the install of the upgraded parts (some dealers Better than others)

And the informed consumer who is now aware how important oil changes are to the sohcs timing system!

As I said before by 2002 Or 2004 (newer intake) they are very strong engines, hard to kill. And they make v8 power. The transmissions (4r 5r55e) also improved with later years. Finding a good 04-11 auto trans low miles is like Gold to me! Allows me to save another ranger / explorer and put it back on the road
Thanks 410! Good Intel! I am good with the oil changes. I am getting into my Sport a bit more now. Looking at her system by system. The truck looks like it has been well maintained at one time. At 90k it still has alot of original parts that are at or near service interval. I just did the exhaust and belt tensioner. I was worried about the cam chain rattle, but the tensioner was the most of it! Not so worried about the engine now, but definitely looking at Accusump.
Would you have any suggestions for any other parts good for the SOHC? Of course I want to use the best parts I can find, but are there any to definitely avoid? Junk? Any to definitely seek out?

Aluminum thermostat housing before yours goes south. The $50 ones on amazon work fine however I always install the factory sensors when available instead of the ones they come with

Aluminum thermostat housing before yours goes south. The $50 ones on amazon work fine however I always install the factory sensors when available instead of the ones they come with
The 1 pc. Or the 2 pc.? I was reading a bit about them. Apparently alot of companies that manufactured quality parts are no longer producing them or are no longer in business at all. Or maybe I don't know where to find them.

I'm not a big amazon guy. I've been disappointed by quality before and non-spec'ed parts scare me. I'm more of a mil-spec guy when possible. Doesn't help that I'm broke. Also the link was for a Mustang. Simmons seems to be a smaller US manufacturer with a good reputation for a good product. $160 is alot in comparison to other parts but maybe worth it. I like to support American business for my American truck.

4.2 v6 is nowhere near the 4.0 ohv nope
The 4.2 uses the 5.0 bellhousing and v8 transmissions

Your 4.0 is a 60 degree cologne block will only fit 4.0 transmissions

You might be able to fix the noise it has?

Just fyi from this old 2019 thread I personally have disconnected about 10 balance chains over the years…. No I’ll effect

The sohc 4.0 was made from 97-2010
They are all interchangeable
However I would stay far away from the 97-00 engines. The sohc got much better in the later years. Anytime you are changing years you will be using the new
Long block only…. You will bolt all of your intake plumbing accessories to the new engine block. There are several changes to intakes, plumbing, and sensors over the years
I have the same problem with myn2004 Ford Explorer, I need another engine. But my question is, I have found a 2008 donor car, but could I swap the transmission out of my 2004 and put it into the 2008?

I'm not a big amazon guy. I've been disappointed by quality before and non-spec'ed parts scare me. I'm more of a mil-spec guy when possible. Doesn't help that I'm broke. Also the link was for a Mustang. Simmons seems to be a smaller US manufacturer with a good reputation for a good product. $160 is alot in comparison to other parts but maybe worth it. I like to support American business for my American truck.
I have had my Simmons thermostat housing for years! He has great products and customer service! 👍💯♥️🇺🇸

Well, 230k miles and the timing chain gave out on my '03 4.0L without warning. I'd like to put a used engine back in the car, already have the old one out, and figure $800 or less for an engine with under 150k miles is worth it, and for sure put new gears, chain, and tensioners in it. I'm pretty frugal, so figure this is my cheapest option, being that the car is in tip top shape. The valves are bent, need to pull the heads, but I can guarantee the pistons are going to have some dents in them, and not worth the risk of using, being so the price of new (used) heads, unless these heads are rebuildable, which is unlikely, and how much time it takes to pull the engine.

I've tried looking up engine compatibility, but there's a lot of "this year should work" and not "this year will work". I'm looking at either buying a parts vehicle with a bad transmission, wrecked, etc. or a complete used engine, which is easy enough to find on ebay, craigslist, marketplace, etc. My car has the 8th vin digit as a "K", and is flex fuel. All I need is a long block that is compatible with my year. What years of engines can I use? And what's the difference between 2wd and 4wd engines? Must I use a 4wd engine? Lake Stevens Junk Removal
Hello, I have a 2000 cherokee sport with the 4.0 eng. I have removed the old eng. that threw a rod. I am searching for a replacement and wondering about compatibility with other years/models. what will work with my 2000 chasis (auto trans; 4X4)???...thanks!

Jeep forum maybe able to help

Back