4.6 oil cooler & remote filter mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 oil cooler & remote filter mount

06bluez

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Does anyone know if the FRPP part M-6881-A5 remote oil filter housing will bolt up to the Explorer iron block 4.6?

F53217751.jpg

http://ampperformance.com/i-9568175-ford-racing-m-6881-a5-water-inlet-adapter.html

I'd like to replace the stock oil filter mount/oil warmer circuit with this, and add a remote filter mount, and an air to oil cooler. From what I have read, the stock oil warmer in the lower coolant circuit is a big restriction to coolant flow, and it doesn't really cool the oil, more intended to warm it up faster at startup..

Anyone have any input on this?

well after looking at the oil filter bracket on the ex 4.6 closer, it does not have an oil warmer, just the coolant neck, and the filter mount. I guess this mod would be to cleanly install a remote filter without using an adaptor sandwich.. still researching..

I installed a remote cooler and filter mount on my truck. I used a Hamburgers adapter at the block mount with fittings at the top. They will be going forward and down when installed. I then installed a remote filter mount up in the alcove ahead of the drivers tire behind the bumper cover. Mounted right onto the sheet metal filter facing down. I also installed a Setrab cooler in the bottom of the radiator cowling. I cut a hole the size of the cooler fin area only and mounted it from the bottom. This allows the pressurized air in front of the radiator to flow down through the cooler. The low pressure area from front chin spoiler allows it quite well. I suggest a billet style mount for the filter. The cheap priced and low quality cast mounts break. Ask my how I know this:frustrate !!!! It works well enough that I noticed that the engine was a bit quieter at idle after driving and running around town. Don't go with a huge cooler. An efficient stack plate design works the best and can be small to. I think I used a medium width 10 row cooler. Plenty for a street vehicle. Too cool of an oil temp is worse than a higher temp to the engine..

Back