• Register Today It's free!

4 Runner vs. Explorer

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I just looked at the 4 Runner specs on the Toyota web site. It looks superior to the current generation Explorer in every way (full time 4WD,skid plates, diff, etc). Yet, Explorer remains "the best selling SUV on the planet". What am I missing?

(Just looking ahead because my 92 Ex will ptrobably need to be replaced in a few more years)

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the diff? Probably $$$. My boss was in the market recently for a higher-end SUV. He settled on Lexus because it didn't cost that much more than a 4-Runner. The new 4 runners sure look nice. I prefer them to Lexus, lookswise anyhow. I didn't dare tell my boss because he loves his new ride. ;)

Base model 4 Runner is only about $800 more than a base model Explorer... I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that the Ex remains the best selling because there are a large number of people who refuse to buy a foreign car. Just my theory, and I may be completely wrong.

B94Sport said:
Base model 4 Runner is only about $800 more than a base model Explorer... I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that the Ex remains the best selling because there are a large number of people who refuse to buy a foreign car. Just my theory, and I may be completely wrong.

Probably a good theory. There's also the conception that parts and service for "foreign" cars are a lot higher than domestic. Probably less of an issue these days since so many of these vehicles are actually made in North America. Parts are pretty plentiful I'd imagine.

Reasons:

1) Fleet sales
2) Factory incentives tilt the price advantage towards the Explorer
3) People who work for Ford or one of its suppliers get a massive discount

Mike

I remember buying my 98 Ex because:

1) It was a great "overall" vehicle by most measures.

2) Jeep wouldn't finance me :(.

For purely offroad use, I'd take a stock 4 Runner or Jeep any day, but for broad appeal and utilitarian use, the Explorer is probably still as good a middle of the road choice as it was in 98.

Bwana Bob said:
I just looked at the 4 Runner specs on the Toyota web site. It looks superior to the current generation Explorer in every way (full time 4WD,skid plates, diff, etc). Yet, Explorer remains "the best selling SUV on the planet". What am I missing?

(Just looking ahead because my 92 Ex will ptrobably need to be replaced in a few more years)

Bob
If you're wanting it for offroad than the new 4-Runner is better than the Explorer. Doesn't it have a 4-link rear? The new X is IFS and IRS, so it'll ride well but won't be a good 4x choice. With the X you get a V8 option though. It's #1 selling because the first SUV to come to most minds is the Explorer, it was the first and has always been the most popular, and everyone knows Ford is the best manufacturer ;)

Good points, all. To be honest, I don't take my Ex off road, except for the normal Jersey roads which are bumpy, pothole-riddled, and often unplowed when it snows. It gotten me home through some pretty horribel winter weather that one included flooded roads along with the ice. That's the beauty of Jersey: no place to wheel offroad, but onroad gives you almost the same experience.

Seriously, the Ex still is probably the best all-around ute. I just wish they still had the manual tranny option.

Bob

huskyfan23 said:
With the X you get a V8 option though. )

The 4 runner has one now as well..you can even get a SC for it with the TRD package.

Bwana Bob said:
Seriously, the Ex still is probably the best all-around ute. I just wish they still had the manual tranny option. Bob

This is to be debated, but for certain, there are 3rd generation (I have seen 2) 4 door Explorers with manuals. XLS V6 only. One of them had Control Trac. However, I am not certain whether this was available for 2003, 04, or 05.

GaSouthern1 said:
The 4 runner has one now as well..you can even get a SC for it with the TRD package.
Wow. I remember hearing the Pathfinder has a S/C, didn't know about the Runner. I'd like a supercharged V8 4-Runner, but don't know about those Asian V8's. The only one I've seen is the 5.4L from Nissan, seems like a strong engine from what I've heard.

the 4runners v8s are very nice..... the toyota with trd also has an e-locker for the rear... ti is only suppsoed to be able to be activated in 4x4 low, however, smart savy people have doen what is equivalent to fords brown or grey wire mod and made it a standard locker

This is a ford explorer ENTHUSIASTS board right??
Why not just sell the Ex and get a runner if they are better in every possible way? I was not impressed with the runner and chose the Ex because I thought it to be a superior vehicle...I haven't paid for any repairs besides normal maintenance such as oil, tranny flush, etc... I chose the ex, I didn't settle for it.
I was actually more impressed with the Tacoma if I had to choose a Toyota.

You, hit it, RedEB! Although I'm comparison shopping, I really don't want to sell the Ex. I really love this truck, even though its getting old (1992, 172,000 miles). And, yes, I have become an Explorer/ford truck enthusiast. I always liked the Bronco II but the cargo volume was just too small. When I first saw an Ex in 1991, I knew at once that it was the vehicle I wanted. No other vehicle has excited me like that, so maybe I'll just wait and see what the 2006 or 2007 Explorer update looks like.

Bob

I have to agree the discrepancy in sales is due in no small part to people wanting to buy American. The X is also slightly bigger and therefore has more people / cargo capacity than the 4Runner, which could also be a factor. I also think the Xs has a more refined / posh interior - cept for maybe the third gen 4Runners, which have traditionally been more spartan.

If buying American isn't a big factor for you, and if you're looking to build an off-road or even dual-purpose / weekend warrior vehicle, I'd personally go with the 4Runner. Wether we like it or not, the current fact is that the aftermarket embraces the 4Runner much moren than the X.

Hopefully this is slowly beginning to change as I am seeing more and more Xs in 4x4 / offroad mags, etc., but currently, unless you do your fab work or pay high dollars to have something custom made, you can't even get basic off road necessities like solid sliders, bumpers, whinch mounts, etc. for our Xs. There's only 1 company that makes a lift kit for the 96+s (Superlift), and since I have it, I can tell you that (1) it only allows for the minimal tire size you'd want for even moderate offroading, and (2) it's more cosmetic than functional since it doesn't increase ground clearance nor travel in the front.

Conversely, there are scores and scores of places that make all kinds of commercially avaialble, bolt-on-anything for the 4Runners that can more easily turn them into much more capable off-roaders, and probably for less dollars. Additionally, their smaller size makes them more trail friendly than our Xs - at least for the tight-woods trails of the NE. 4Runners are also supposedly extremely, extremely reliable and hold their value better than our Xs.

Now, don't everybody go getting' your panties in a bunch... I love my X and I bought it over a 4Runner -or anything else for that matter - because buying American matters to me and for my needs, I personally like the bigger size of the X better. Just keep hopin-n-hopin that the aftermarket catches on...

Good luck, I don't think you can wrong either way. Figure out which drives better and which better suits your needs - at least 80% of the time and go with that one.

The Explorer will most definately be the last Ford product I buy. Its been far from reliable, never left anyone stranded but its had probably 70% of its large components replaced in the 150,000 miles it has on it. Visibly its held up fine, still looks good and rides pretty good but thats because we've kept up on the maintenance. In the hands of someone who didn't do that it would be a real bomb. Nowadays it can't drive past the ford dealer for less than $800 and it hardly even gets driven. Not to mention the abysmal resale of the Explorer.

The 4 Runner is an excellent truck, good looking, lots of room, good reliability. I find it far more appealing than the current generation Explorer. I too like it better than the Lexus GX470 (which Lexus SUV did your boss buy celly?). If I were buying something in that market today I would probably buy a 4 Runner especially now that its significantly larger than it used to be. That was a problem when I looked at the 4 Runner back in 97, the Explorer was larger.

The Explorer will most definately be the last Ford product I buy. Its been far from reliable, never left anyone stranded but its had probably 70% of its large components replaced in the 150,000 miles it has on it.
My dad's 99 Limited has 163K miles on the clock and we have only replaced the idle pulley. Extremely reliable truck, most people I know with an X at my university say the same thing.
Don't take this the wrong way as I don't intend it to be malicious or mean in any way, but if you truly hate your X and don't like Ford...then why are you part of a Ford Enthusiasts board?

Sure, its really a hit or miss deal. I know many people with Explorers that have had little to no problems whatsoever.

I don't hate my Explorer at all, I love my Explorer (hence why I've spent all that money on it and still have it). As for Ford, I tend to somewhat dislike Ford because of the way they do business. Just because I wouldn't charge out and buy one of the new Explorers doesn't mean I still don't like mine ;)

Fair enough. ;) :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the four runner does look better more rugged then the newer x,, but hopefully w/ the new design comming out in 06-07, It too will look more rugged and not the take the soccer team out for ice cream in the suburbs. Stephen sorry you had sour exp w/ your's, my father just bought a 2004 toyota seqouia (sp) very nice and very large! He has had problems w/ a few things on his eddie b, 99 model. Idling was off, 3 x's had to go to ford. The phantom wiper, where the windshield wipers turn on w/ out even hitting them, and last the inferior sun roof! In the summer when it gets hot, and anyone in the dc area know's how hot and hummid it gets, the glue comes around the seal and smears looks horrible ! Ford said that it was a common thing and that they would not cover it. They either will be very nice and help you out, or they will drop you and not even guide you as to help w/ service questions! But i love the X's and will more then likely shoot for the eddie b in a year or 2! Unless toyota has something lil cheaper! :D j/k

Back