410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

12" of wheel travel

I cannot run a 2.5" shock, the shock will start to hit the axle shaft with this 2" kit, so we are going to run a 2.0, 10" travel threaded body and a 2.0 bypass on the front corners.

Drivers side is mocked up and tack welded, I am now working on the engine, valve train is going together, putting the 5.0 together and wiring it along the way. Updates are coming!!!! I have more time in the shop then I do in front of the pc (good thing!!)... but I will get progress posted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running the same set up on a 1997 v8 Explorer with BW 4406 manual transfer case, spring over rear and a superlift and true travel +2 front on 35" tires. Running a fox 10" with a 10" 500lb upper coil and a 12" 650lb bottom coil... this is my first post...trying to figure out how to post pics..

20210108_095435.jpg

Figured it out. As you can see its all very new. hoping to have things finished up with it today so I can take it down for alingment and get it in the snow tomorrow

A 2" body shock should be fine unless you are racing. I have 2"x14" travel coil overs on the front and have driven at fairly good speeds through 30 miles of dirt road and the shocks don't even get warm. My Radflo's have the same shaft diameter as larger body shocks.

Yeah a 2" body coilover is perfect most race teams don't even bother going above a 2.5. The coilover shock is literally there to hold the vehicle at the proper height. Using a dual rate set up allows the softer upper spring to take in the drops (suspension fully extended) and the firmer lower spring to absorb the hits and compression. Dampening is all done with an additional bypass shock. I have yet to receive my bypass shocks as they are on backorder but it's not necessary to have them in to drive. I'll throw them in when the show up in a few weeks.

Well HELL YEAH!!!!! nice setup, great minds think alike LOL

What are you using for a bump stop? (hard to see in pic)

What gears ratio are you running?

Thanks for sharing your setup! I love the dual coils and had planned to do the same

Ditto, good ideas. I'd much prefer a progressive spring or that dual spring that does the same thing.

Well HELL YEAH!!!!! nice setup, great minds think alike LOL

What gears ratio are you running?

Thanks for sharing your setup! I love the dual coils and had planned to do the same
Running 4.56 right now and it's working great, keeps RPMs around stock but they're left over from a previous version of this build when I was running 33's. Ideal for 35's would be a 4.88 but I want to move up to 5.13's in the next few months, just picked up another front and rear axle to rebuild with the bigger gear. With a 5.13 I'll be able to push 37's for winter driving in the snow with no problem but still maintain highway speeds while running 35's in the summer. It'll also take a lot of the stress off the rig while towing my offroad camper trailer.

@410Fortune , have you had any issues with your RCV axles? My drivers side is literally 4 thousandths of an inch too big in diameter on the spline side going into the diff and won't fit. Just figured this out today as I was trying to wrap it up. Hopefully get and answer back on Monday from either true travel or RCV.

I have not tried to install them into the diff yet no! Now that you said this I am going to
Thanks for bringing this up. I will let you know what I find out
I have sent Brett about 3 different shock options for the front end for pricing. I expect to have the info back soon and then we can put in our order!
It's getting very exciting as this truck starts to take shape!

Going to be running a fox 2.0 bump in there... again waiting for them on back order.

A lot of changes going on at Fox with their move but I'm also in no hurry.

If you need anything feel free to reach out. I'm a dealer for Fox, King, and Eibach springs among other things offroad. My volume is low so for the most part I just order as needed but if you're having trouble getting anything we can probably help each other out.

Also I look forward to hearing about your CV fitment. Hopefully it goes better than mine.

@JoleneTheExploder, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for bringing this up. I would hate to have the truck all built just to find out the cv axle will not stab (LIKE YOU!!!)

The drivers CV axle does not fit
I measured and measured and still it will not go in. I have the stock cv axle for comparison, I have the diff out of the truck.

The machined portion of the axleshaft is exactly the same size in all dimensions measured with a micrometer.
Comparing to the stock shaft
They are both 27 splines
The splines simply do not appear deep enough to fit inside?
That is the only difference I can come up with, the actual depth of the splines is about half vs a stock shaft.
Very odd since pretty much all 27 spline axle shafts are the same.
I removed the circlip to make sure it is not just getting hung up.
The cv axle simply will not fit in there and I am not about to take a file, emery cloth, or start beating on a custom shaft to make it go.
I plan to remove the diff cover and try again, see if I can spot the hang up.

On paper all dimensions are identical EXCEPT the depth of the splined (inner diameter of the shaft itself)
You said "My drivers side is literally 4 thousandths of an inch too big in diameter on the spline side going into the diff and won't fit"
Can you tell or show me where the .004" too large measurement is taking place?

I am going to call True Travel today to see what gives.

@JoleneTheExploder, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for bringing this up. I would hate to have the truck all built just to find out the cv axle will not stab (LIKE YOU!!!)

The drivers CV axle does not fit
I measured and measured and still it will not go in. I have the stock cv axle for comparison, I have the diff out of the truck.

The machined portion of the axleshaft is exactly the same size in all dimensions measured with a micrometer.
Comparing to the stock shaft
They are both 27 splines
The splines simply do not appear deep enough to fit inside?
That is the only difference I can come up with, the actual depth of the splines is about half vs a stock shaft.
Very odd since pretty much all 27 spline axle shafts are the same.
I removed the circlip to make sure it is not just getting hung up.
The cv axle simply will not fit in there and I am not about to take a file, emery cloth, or start beating on a custom shaft to make it go.
I plan to remove the diff cover and try again, see if I can spot the hang up.

On paper all dimensions are identical EXCEPT the depth of the splined (inner diameter of the shaft itself)
You said "My drivers side is literally 4 thousandths of an inch too big in diameter on the spline side going into the diff and won't fit"
Can you tell or show me where the .004" too large measurement is taking place?

I am going to call True Travel today to see what gives.
Yeah I should have clarified better. It's the inner diameter/spline depth that's 4 thousandths of an inch too big. If you have an old passenger side cv axle it's input side is the same as the drivers input side on the diff. You can use the old passenger cv to verify fit of the new drivers side cv.

I'm slightly frustrated as it did take 6 weeks to get the kit but as a fabricator of offroad components myself I do understand mistakes do happen. I just hope it can be rectified expediently.

@410Fortune just measured it again, it's actually 4 hundredths if an inch not thousandths.

See the pictures of inner spline diameter

20210111_082039.jpg

20210111_082110.jpg

no prob. just wanted to help you get the correct info across to the manufacturer. machinists play dumb when they dont hear machinist language

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THAT is exactly what I found!!

Pics coming on my end also
I just sent my contact at TTD a message

Back