5R55E band adjustment bolt issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E band adjustment bolt issue

TECH SUPP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
Hello Everyone!
I have read posts from this site before but have posted so here it goes.

I had the problems with the OD blinking and getting an PO741 code after a few miles down the road then I came to a stop and no forward or reverse. I replaced the fluid, filter, valve body and solenoids with a supposed to be rebuilt/updated Ford unit from ebay which looked to be accurate. I have forward and reverse but still get the blinking & code PO741.
I was going to adjust the bands and see if my problems were any better after checking electrical connections.
Problem: The lock nut on the forward band only backed off maybe a turn (very hard to turn) will now not turn in or out without a great degree of difficulty and starting to bend/round the stud end. I now have no way to know exactly how far this has moved due to my alignment marks are gone on the stud. I am afraid to completly remove the stud from the trans to replace this nut with a vice due to the band tensioner falling out of alignment.
Question: Will full removal of the forward band adjustment stud cause problems replacing while trans is in the truck with pan and all installed on reassembly?

Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

loosening band adjusting screw

I suspect that if you loosen the band adjusting screw more than several turns the screw may disengage from the band anchor strut. If that happens and the strut moves out of position it may be necessary to disassemble the transmission to reposition the strut and engage the adjustment screw.

According to my ATSG 5R55E manual the locknuts are not supposed to be reused and it should be possible to remove them completely from the adjusting screws. Have you tried cleaning and lubricating the exposed threads on the adjustment screw? Is the locknut frozen to the adjusting screw? If so, and they won't loosen together then possibly the threads are damaged. The band anchor strut could be broken and wedged against the adjusting screw internally.

I agree, 2000StreetRod, the band anchor strut will likely drop out of position. And I don't think it is accessible without pulling the pump.

try heating them up good with the torche? good ol oxy/acet. always been good to me.....

I have the same problem on my 99. The exposed threads of the adjustment stud are rusted almost completely away so I can't adjust my bands. I am removing the VB for another issue and I was going to try to fab a tool of some sort to hold the band in place while I replace the stud. Any ideas?

Back