91 expo on full widths | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 expo on full widths

this is my 91 ford explorer on 79 braonco axles. full size dana 44 and 9 inch. i used the cage early bronco coils in the front and the stock leafs in the rear with a shackle. i extended the radius arms 12 inches and added a 1 1/4 hiems at the end. hope ya like. any quesation please ask.

brandonexplorer-2.jpg

brandonexplorer.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do any of you know the exact measurement to chop off the passenger side to get it to equal the length of an EB passenger side?
if I were you, even if some one posted that they cut off X number of inches, I still wouldn't trust that number 100%.
The only 100% sure way of knowing how much to cut is to measure the difference once you have the parts in front of you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like there would be more fabrication work for spring mounts and radius arm mounts and such. Wouldn't it be a much more straight forward install to just keep it simple and keep it EB width?

That would depend on a number of factors. Going with a full width COULD be just as straight forward if you didn't move the axle up any from the stock position and had a pre 78 d44 housing with weld on wedges. If you're using a 78-79 housing you DO need space out the buckets 2"s, and most likely if you don't extend the ra's will need to outboard the ra mounts. These three pieces aren't that hard to build though. Either full width or eb would require a trac bar mount so that's a wash between the two.

I am using a 79 housing full width. Buckets are spaced out 2"s and my crossmember allows me mount my ra brackets about 1.5"s or so outside of the framerails.

But the driver also has some influence because he/she should know the best line for his/her vehicle.

I think you decided your best line is to hammer down, screw spotters.

:D

if I were you, even if some one posted that they cut off X number of inches, I still wouldn't trust that number 100%.
The only 100% sure way of knowing how much to cut is to measure the difference once you have the parts in front of you.

That makes sense to me. Get the new passenger side axle shaft, measure against the old longer one, get the difference and cut that amount off of the axle tube. Seems straight forward to me.

Thanks!!

I think you decided your best line is to hammer down, screw spotters.
Ahaha -- only on the rocks where there are no trees to hit :D

That makes sense to me. Get the new passenger side axle shaft, measure against the old longer one, get the difference and cut that amount off of the axle tube. Seems straight forward to me.
Yes, thats pretty much it! Dont forget though that some full-width axle tubes with radius arms are very difficult to cut near the knuckle as their tubes do not run the entire length -- the radius arm wedges takes over near the end. More info on this on Mr N's D44 page (scroll down near the bottom): http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm

dana4478-79axle_cut.jpg

You can still narrow 78 and 79 d44's though. Grind down the weld going into the cast piece till you can start to see the "crack". Then, convince it to come apart. Cut down the tube, re-press the cast piece back on, heat and weld.

Great flex! You say 12" extended radius arms. Stock arms lengthened or other? Heim joiints at the frame and urethane C-bushings? what is the distance between the radius arm heim joints at the frame/crossmember?

I have in my hot little hands, both an EB pass. side axle, and the pass. side axle frome a 1979 Bronco. Center of the u-joint/trunion cap to end of axle is 28"/EB, 34" /1979. Looks like my `79 diff is getting chopped 6"

Quick ???. Where and at what height did you mount the coil buckets. I have a HP44 out of a Bronco Im gonna use and still figuring everything out......

Mine are mounted around 2"s forward of the stock buckets, at the same height. I had to cut them down however to do this.
DSC00574.JPG

NOTE: I will be welding the buckets to the spacer ;)

Thanks, thats what I needed to know................:thumbsup:

more recent pics. now locked front and rear with 4.88's and gettin the doubler in 2 weeks. also gonna re-do the front suspension with coilovers and high steer. gonna be making a new radius/tranny mounts

4x4118.jpg

4x4116.jpg

4x4087.jpg

4x4097.jpg

4x4020.jpg

Hey thats an interesting trailer, who makes it? Or where did you get it from?

this thing looks so wide driving down the road.

lol, its a volvo rents trailor, i get them for 20$ through my work, ya its pretty wide. they are fullwidths. i saw your explorer a couple of weeks ago on rocky ridge turning on douglas. i live in roseville.

im out that way alot, my buddy lives right there.

If ya don't mind me askin' what`s the weight of that trailer with Explorer on it.
Guesstimate? -And what are you pulling it with and how do you like it? 1/2 ton, 3/4, 1?

What made you go with 4.88s instead of the 5.13 you talked about?

Back