93 Explorer project "The Hulk" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer project "The Hulk"

Ok to give a starting point i want to say that i have had a 91 X that i had the Superlift 5.5" lift on back in 2001 took it to MOAB and had a blast including jumping it 5' yes FEET off the ground at the dunes. However it was unfinished and i was 19 and traded it in for another vehicle and have regreted it ever since. Then in August of 2010 i found this 93 that i purchased for $400 because it needed a clutch and was beat up a bit. So Since then all i have done was a clutch until recently. I started replacing a few things here and there including one front fender which the other needs to be replaced as well eventually. Then i finally decided it was time for the fun stuff. SO i purchased another superlift 5.5" Superrunner lift, the one with the extended radius arms. I also purchased a set of used tires and rims tires are 35 12.50 r15. Then i purchased a set of 4.56 ring and pinion with master rebuild kits for both axles. And i wanted to start logging all this on here for others to see as well as advice. So you know before i get beat up too bad on the TTB i thought about going to a straight axle and i might eventually but i personally kinda like the TTB and this is also still going to be my every day driver, I just want it to be more offroad capable as well. I plan to replace all seals and bearings in both axles MAINLY in front while its all apart, and probably painting/undercoating both axles at the same time. Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

Thanks for reading if you were able to read through it all just wanted to give a good background. OH YA and i will post some pics soon of the 93 as well as a couple of my first X the 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a be done while everything is apart under there; for the front axle, a c-clip eleminator mod and a drain plug mod are a must.

That said, Wood1 made a very complete index of useful threads concerning the TTB (which I love too, btw); and I would highly recommend that you spend the afternoon reading all of it, and then picking out what you want/need from there.

As for everything else... perhaps a search for superlift extended radius arms is in order on this forum... I seem to remember people saying the the upper and lower tabs that connect the arm the the axle housings had the tendency of cracking, which is easily fixed if you have some extra 1/4" plate, a welder, and a drill. I'm not positive on that though... so I suggest a bit of digging.

Oh, and good background is a good thing. Well done. :thumbsup:

Wow, adamsbro2, you summed up what I'm looking for in a nutshell! Thanks for starting the thread! I'm waiting for my hand to heal and then I plan on doing basically the same thing, but I have no experience! Thanks again for starting the thread! Also, do you still live in Ogden? I'm in salt lake and mine is also my daily driver.

Thanks Naasau i will definately check into those things. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of my current explorer yet. But i Did find one of my old 91 and its my favorite so here is that
explorerjump.jpg

I am currently living in clearfield. I am not "experienced" by any means it has been 12 years since i put one of these on and i have never done the gears before so that will be a learning experience but i will take lots of pics and try to post step by step at least daily once i get started.

You are more than welcome to come hang out and help out if ya want!! I plan to start on it on the 25th but am not planning to RUSH through it i want to take my time since i have another vehicle or two i can drive in the process.

Ok so it isn't the best but here is a few pics with some flex of the current stock explorer..probably should have disconnected the sway bars but it was just a quick pic so not bad but not full potential.... Work begins in one week from today!!!
DSCF2002.jpg

DSCF2001.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

Few more pics i wanted to share showing parts and difference in tires against stock...... I just know i like pictures so i hope they dont get annoying to anyone.
liftkit.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

adamsbro2 said:
Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

I would make sure to add all new ball joints, radius arm bushings and all other bushings. Use the high quality stuff too, no cheap junk! I have always had great luck with MOOG products.

I love the look of your old truck. Have fun with the new one. If I could offer only one piece of advice it would be, NEVER CUT CORNERS WITH YOUR WORK.

..Looking forward to the progress pictures..:popcorn:

Ok so i was anxious and couldn't wait til tomorrow to start so i figured i had enough daylight after work to get a little start even if it was just getting it on stands and taking the tires off!!!! BUT this is how far i got!!

Its on stands and jacks supporting the front end........
DSCF2008.jpg

Drag Link disconnected from pitman arm......
DSCF2009.jpg

Top of coilsprings and bottom of shocks disconnected......
DSCF2012.jpg

Disconnected the sway bar from the frame. Lowered both jacks a little and took the nut off the back of the radius arms, then worked the front end out from under the truck.
DSCF2015.jpg

Front end is removed and in the garage then i cleaned up and came in for the night. Pretty good progress i think for like 1.5 hours...
DSCF2017.jpg

DSCF2016.jpg

Oh and one mishap i dropped the caps from the u-joint and the needle bearings fell out but i was planning to replace them anyways so...

DSCF2014.jpg

If anyone wants pictures of anything that i can possibly get as i go or that i may have missed or whatever just try to let me know asap... and any questions that i can try to answer i will but most everyone on here knows WAY more than i do so!!!

Nice progress for only an hour and a half , Id Say just snag as many pics as your can along the way !

cool, I will :popcorn: as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap! The last time I did that it took me twice as long to yank the front end! Very well done!

Back