94 Sport Full Width Dana 44 and 9 inch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Sport Full Width Dana 44 and 9 inch

Ok it's finally looking like something. This thing should be complete by the end of next week, so I am posting this in the registry instead of the projects section, I hope that's OK with everyone.

Front:Full width Dana 44 from a 78 Bronc with 4.88s and a Lock Rite
Wild horses coils, custom drag link and radius arms. Bronco buckets and stock track bar.

Rear: Full width Ford 9 inch, with 4.88s and a EZ Locker, stock springs and 4 inch blocks.

No cutting down here. There are pizza cutters on her right now, but I'm picking up the 35' Muds tomorrow.
(dead links)
Thanks for looking!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Full width rules! :thumbsup: What backspace will you run on the wheels? What brand of 35s? That rear tire is a TRUE pizzacutter! What size is it!?! :confused:

How did you compensate for the full width? Where are the radius arms mounted on the frame? Did you space out the coils?

I spaced in the coils and spaced out the buckets. and I am going to run stock backspacing on the wheels and let the mud fly!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm getting BFG Mud terrains, the tires in the back right now are from a 47 jeep or something. The only number on them is 75, I don't know what that means, but I measured them and they are 28 1/2 inches tall.

Looks good so far. Congratulations on almost being done. :thumbsup:

looks good, I am currently getting parts together to put a dana 30 under my 94. Are all sports green?

I would like some closeups of your front end install. I am currently putting the same axles under my 1992 Explorer.
I need pics of the radius arm brackets at the frame, coil lower mounts and the buckets. Thanks so much.

Here are the radius arm mounts, they are just tacked in place right now. I am going to Box the frame in that area and then weld the mounts back on.
726969_27_full.jpg

Here is one with the new meats :D
726969_26_full.jpg

wow that looks very menacing with those full width axles :D :D

Here are the new radius arm mounts I made. The other ones were too low and looked like ****. As you can see, I boxed the frame above the RA mounts for extra strength. I also welded a plate above the RA mounts for a future crossmember or skidplate.
726969_28_full.jpg

726969_31_full.jpg

726969_30_full.jpg

This is just a pic of the teuck how it sits now. I am only waiting on the rear Driveshaft now.
726969_29_full.jpg

Yes, those are the nurf bars sitting on the ground. I am going to weld those on tomorrow.
This has been a great project and I could never have done it without this website. I have spent hours researching this site and soaking up as much info as possible.
Fot those of you who want to know, here is an abreviated cost breakdown for the entire project. I bought alot of the small stuff on ebay.

HP Dana 44 from 78 Bronc--------320.00
Ford 9inch-----------------------Freebie :D
Gears and lockers for front and rear-787.00
Installation for Dana 44 gears-------175.00
Tires-BFG Muds 35x12.5x15---------880.00
Drive shaft-rear--------------------389.00
Misc welding-----------------------400.00-est.
Warn hubs-------------------------55.00
C bushings-7.5 degree--------------40.00
Jonny Joints for RAs-----------------40.00
Tubing for rear bumper and nerfs-----80.00
Wild Horses 5.5 lift EB springs--------Freebies
3.5''Lift blocks for rear-------------------Freebies

I'm sure there is more stuff I forgot, but these are the major parts.

That thing is MASSIVE!!!
How did you manage all the freebies?

Looks great so far!!
Action shots-YES!!
:D

OBTW, I've heard that w/ fuul width axles, the driveshafts and some other stuff doesn't align correctly. Was that the case for you or is that a false statement?
Thanks

As for the freebies, I have alot of freinds who have been doing this for a long time, and I had to "work off" the 9 inch by helping a guy put a 350 in his Land Cruiser.

I don't know what everyone's hang upis with full width. I had no problems with alignment, other than the coil springs. I just had to rotate the pads about 90 degrees so the spings would be verticle to the buckets. Other than that, no problems.

Sweet!!

Looks great! Signing up for future posts!

Flex anyone?
726969_33_full.jpg

40 inches. Now I can order the shocks and she'll be ready to rock!!!!!!!!
726969_32_full.jpg

That is a beautiful site!!
:D

Did you need to space out the Coil Buckets in order to match up with the full width axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I turned the pads in that the springs sit on. Then I relocated the holes so I would have 2 hold down bolts for the spring. I also welded the pad to the rear part of the radius arm for extra strength.

Back