95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sounds about right. The SSR has a 2 ply sidewall, but most of their other tires including the SX has a 4 or 6 ply sidewall.

Little late...but the SX has a 10 ply sidewall. They are damn near indestructible tires.

Looks good, but man that thing is sky high...

I plan on running my 38.5's with 4.5" lift

Looks good, but man that thing is sky high...

I agree, too tall for my tastes, but love the tires and axle combo. Once you chop down the body lift it'll look a lot better. That plus some sort of front bumper.

looks great!
Guess youll be keeping the BL then.. tis ok.. i have no time right now to put one on. not to mention money to buy new tires.. so it wouldnt look major dinky with 31's

Anyways.. can't wait to see this thing at the Creek!

I believe I have extra lift blocks from other projects that I'll be cutting down. I'll let you know what I find.

^ hey whatever.. really no rush...

The thing looks awesome with the 38's! Can you notice a considerable difference over the 35's yet.. or too soon!?

This is how my day started....
DSCN0949.jpg

Some of this....
P4120068.jpg

Little of this...
DSCN0956.jpg

And this...
DSCN0954.jpg

Then this...
HPIM0186.jpg

Led to this...
HPIM0192.jpg

HPIM0194.jpg

Which ended like this...
HPIM0197.jpg

HPIM0199.jpg

No this isn't some sweet flex....
DSCN0968.jpg

That is the whole story in pictures. We were running without spotters and I got my front axle againt a rock that I was not gonna slide over. Well I didn't know how big it was and gave it some gas. That ended up wrapping my rear springs and breaking the rear driveshaft yoke and ujoint. Tried to crawl out with only front wheel drive. I should taken it out of double low and taken it easy becasue eventually I broke my spicer joint, alloy USA shafts and the upper and lower balljoints. I gathered up some spare balljoints and a shaft from a fellow ranger guy and got off the trail. I also found out that 4 high wasn't working either. I'll have a little work to do before the May 3rd run, but I'll get done. This is only my third run with the truck and the first with my new tires. They def grip much more then my old ones, so I think I'll keep finding the weak links in my setup.

Note to self... If this happens to the front again, I'm going to start rebuilding my 60s...

..I broke my spicer joint, alloy USA shafts and the upper and lower balljoints.
I didnt even know you broke the upper and lower balljoints too .. that's quite the carnage all in one package :eek:

I didnt even know you broke the upper and lower balljoints too .. that's quite the carnage all in one package :eek:

Tell me about it. I also almost broke one of my friendly spotters when part of the ujoint went zinging past them into the bushes... :eek:

Do you think the ball joint went first taking out the alloy with it? New ball joints or orig to the axle?

New joints from the rebuild. Its hard to say. The ujoint had full circle clips, so I'm not sure that the caps would have walked out that quick. It wan't eben that much power, just that it was all concentrated on the front since the rear was disconnected. I think it was just a combination of things. We'll see how she goes on the next run. So far Alloy USA told me my replacements are out of stock :mad:

Do you need a spare shaft? My ford outers are no longer good to me and I have 2 pairs of inners

I shuld be cool for axles. I still have a full set of inners and outers for spares. I had kept my set in my F250 because I didn't expect to break my Alloy's on the 3rd run.

Lets see some picture progress on your rig? We have about 3 weeks!

Been a while since I updated this thing.

I finally got the 3" bodylift out. I wasn't too bad of a job. I had to relocate my fuel cell, ended up putting it where the back seats used to be. Also had to rebuild part of my trans tunnel to clear the doubler. It looks a lot better. The 38s still clear the body and it doesn't look quite as tall as it did before.

Took it out for new years and I separated my rear leafs and bent the main, so I rebuilt that. I also wrapped the rear axle springs up and busted another rear u-joint. I attribute part of this to my pinion angle that I finally fixed, but I still may make a wrap bar if it happens again.

It’s still not flexing the way I want in the front. I'll need to get the front end cycled sometime and see what I can find. I'd like to find a way to 3 link it, but the cast ford Cs are going to hold me up with that. I feel like part of my problem is where I have my radius arms mounted on the frame side. Most o the setups I see have them in line with the frame, where mine are about 4 - 6 inches inside the frame. I don't know if that is causing it to bind, but I'm going to moving them out to the frame soon to see if that fixes things.

And lastly, its going to get a cage before too long. I plan to buy a bender this week, so as soon as I save up to buy enough tube, I’ll be caged. Then I can break more stuff :D

Back