95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say get a case a Romen noodles, a case of Mt Dew, 3 rolls of toilet paper, lock yourself in the garage and get it done. Too bad u wasn't a bit closer, I would come and join.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can probably help depending on the date - where's the party going to be at?

when ya thinkin on doin this?

Looks like I picked a good time to randomly stalk around my old haunt, let me know if you need an extra hand.

Yup, still alive. Just busy with work and life. Trying to get the truck together for a run in early may. Don't know when I'll get to the cage, right now I'm working on getting my hydro steering back into shape.

Phew! I thought maybe you had gotten trapped in your garage or something :) Are you going to make it to Carlisle/Rc this year?

Ok, I'm back. Been away from the rig and this forum for too long, gonna get to my shop in PA sometime soon to get the rig dusted off, fixed up and back on the trail.

Now if I only had a shop in MD, that would make this all so much easier.

Everything okay, man? I hate to repeat myself, but are you going to make it to Carlisle 2011?

I see tater is back

*waves* hi tater!

long time no see man

Well, its time to start getting some projects done for Carlisle and another trip I have coming up in May.

I know I want to get my beedlocks done. I guess I will just use my current wheels and add spacers i I feel that I need more backspacing.

I also wanted to think about some way of limiting the front axel drop. Not sure if it is going to be with a center limiting strap, a small winch just for the axle or mounting up a fullsize front winch and using that when I need to.

Does anyone have any ideas about what may work best?

Thanks!

Going to go with the center limiting strap for now. I ordered the tabs from Ruf Stuff and will get the strap once I get the tabs and mount fabbed up. Woulda liked to order it all together, but I'm 2hrs frommy truck and didn't feel like guessing on the length. Also got a rear pinion guard for the 9".

Would really like to do the bead locks, but I'm thinking I should get winer wheels first. Does anyone have some old 5 on 5.5 steelies that they are looking to get rid of?

I have 3 rims 2 never had tiers put on them Im willing tosell. There black rock crawlers with the D holes. Can take pics when i get home if you would like?

Back