Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Who makes the ultimate 88 kit?

Superior has the Super 88 kit, is it the same thing? Price dif?

Yukon makes or should say sells it. Yeah same thing I am pretty sure the same place makes it for Yukon and Superior. I paid $453 shipped for my set I order two sets one for another guy. We split the shipping. Not sure what one kit would cost shipped.

Chro-mo shafts so should be a nice upgrade.:D
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=10255

Cool. Thanks. :)

Which size axles did you get? 5 on 4.5" or 5.5" ?

Double drilled so it can be either.

That is actually why the guy wanted the kit cause he is putting it under an early Bronco and wanted disc brakes and 31 splines. He said this was cheaper then upgrading his 9 inch.

That is a really cool design! Not sure I have ever seen one like that. Nice Work!

That is a really cool design! Not sure I have ever seen one like that. Nice Work!

Thanks! Still have to do some more bracing using round tube you have do a little extra work to make it beefy enough. But the look is awesome that is why I am going the extra mile cause I wanted something different. :D Going to see if I can find a old unit bearing I think I have in storage to cut up. I even saved the old Mercury center cap I am going put on the spare. :D

Pretty much done with the tire carrier part. Just need to beef up the bumper some where the hinge is. Turned out good I am very happy with it.

Used a Dana 35 axle shaft and cut it down so I could use the end for my tire mount.
20120404_173004.jpg

Saved one of the Mercury center caps just for this purpose. LOL
20120404_183943.jpg

You can see the extra brace I added in the center and then one from the hinge over. Made the carrier super solid.
20120404_191817.jpg

Thanks guys I love how it turned out. Now if the other 2 Kevlars I have on order would ever show so I could put a tire on it. LOL And yeah backup camera would be nice but I am used using the side mirrors since I pull my flatbed and enclosed race trailer with my Super Duty.

Also one of my Jeep buddies said if I wake up and my bumper is gone and his is laying next to the Merc not to be alarmed. LOL

Got a present from the Fedex truck today!

20120406_141143.jpg

20120406_142247.jpg

Double drilled sweet!!!
20120406_142311.jpg

20120406_142930.jpg

I also got the D tabs put on the Merc.
20120406_135123.jpg

20120406_135102.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to build a special holder for my axle holder cause this isn't going to fly when the tire is on the rim. LOL
20120406_122723.jpg

Also replaced the 8 inch sub in the back it was blown.

20120404_092937.jpg

20120404_093052.jpg

I had to cut the back since the sub was just a little to deep. So now I have a ported box still sounds good just need a bigger amp since the JBL is good upto 800 watts.
20120404_094322.jpg

20120404_101552.jpg

great build! i still cant believe you are still rockin the d30 front.

How hard was it to balance the tires with those weld on rims? in cali they dont fly. sucks

great build! i still cant believe you are still rockin the d30 front.

How hard was it to balance the tires with those weld on rims? in cali they dont fly. sucks

30 is doing great. I am not worried about it cause the D30 still comes stock in the Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited they weigh as much as the Merc if not more. They use the same carrier I know cause I have used ones from the older Jeep Dana 30 in JK regears. They use the same 27 spline shafts and I have geared a bunch of those Dana 30 JK axles guys were running 37s with no issue.

As far as the beadlocks yes balancing is tough. I had them static balance the first ones I did they didn't do a good job. Ones I did for another guy we used air soft BBs and his is better then mine.

Install the Ultimate 88 kit in a customers axle Yesterday mine should be going in this weekend if I have time. The kit brings the factory axle from 58.75" to 61.5". So now my rear will be wider then my front. I did not know that would be the case when I ordered it cause I could not find any info. But I am happy that it is. The kit is super beefy I am impressed here are few pics of install.

Pulling the old bearing and seal out.
20120410_101039.jpg

Cutting the end of the tube off that holds the bearing and seal.
20120410_102259.jpg

Installing the new bearing seal holder/spacer you can see the RTV down inside the spacer to help seal everything up.
20120410_103413.jpg

Ready for backing plate and axle shaft.
20120410_103715.jpg

Ready for action. This axle is going to the 5x5.5 bolt pattern.
20120410_105611.jpg

You can see how much the new shafts go into the spiders.
20120410_163427.jpg

That kit was pretty easy to do just took some time. I had to take one of the shafts to a place with a bigger press cause mine wasn't big enough. The other went right together with my 20 ton press. Not sure what was up with that. I put one of my shafts his this axle waiting for phone call today to see if they got the other one done. If not I am calling Yukon and going to raise hell! LOL

Here is the article on the superior kit install done by Petersons. They dont mention a press being needed, but do offer this advice...

It is critical that this end plate be bolted on squarely, and not beat onto the housing with a framing hammer. Superior supplies longer bolts and extra large nuts to squeeze-press the plates into the tube a small bit at a time from each bolt. After the plates have been pressed on, the brake caliper and dustshield can be reassembled onto the new tube ends. It may be necessary to grind the lip of the dustshield down so that the bearing will go through easily.

They do mention the lengths, the dual lug patterns ( I missed that originally ) and a lot of good stuff about the quality of the kits. These look identical (to me) to the kits you have.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0610_super_88_axle_kit/index.html

Edit: I am tired I guess, I just realized what you meant by needing a press. Superior kits come with the bearings & seals per-installed so you don't have to press them on.....whoops :D

Back