Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im a big fan of the merc. any problems with that transfer case now that you put 18k on it?

so this ranger you just got it going to get tons under it? if so i cant wait

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

im a big fan of the merc. any problems with that transfer case now that you put 18k on it?

so this ranger you just got it going to get tons under it? if so i cant wait

The STaK Mini Monster has between 8-10k on it now. I love it and would buy again in a heart beat. Now that it is broke in it way quieter then when I first and installed and shifts way smoother. Just takes some use to break it in.

Going to keep this Ranger simple and just follow the Merc build. Cause I plan on selling it later this year. Already ordered wheels for it. I sold the truck bed and 8.8 out of the Ranger today for a total of $450 bucks. So now I have $300 in the truck at the moment. But that will change once I start picking up more stuff for it. I have to collect a few more parts and I will start the build thread for it.

Wow, just read this thread from beginning to end and I have to say I am impressed. A lot of our dreams on here is your reality lol. I have a 99' Merc that I would like to SAS and convert to 4x4 one day too! Props on the build man.

Wow, just read this thread from beginning to end and I have to say I am impressed. A lot of our dreams on here is your reality lol. I have a 99' Merc that I would like to SAS and convert to 4x4 one day too! Props on the build man.

Thanks man! I love Jeeps and what they are capable of offroad. Just always been a Ford man by heart. Probably why my first Jeep I swapped a 5.0 V8.
Here is my build thread for it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-215763/

As my fab skills got better working on all the Jeeps I realized I could build a Ford I wanted. And here you have it about to hit 20k miles on the SAS setup and I am very pleased with it. Main goal when I built this thing was make it so I could drive it anywhere and still pull offroad and wheel it hard then pull back on the road and cruise home, sitting in comfy leather, AC on, cruise control set, listening to a nice factory sound system, and smooth ride. And still gets 14-15 mpg. :D

Wrangler Kevlars are B/O for 33x12.50x15 :(. Discount Tire Direct only has 2EA in stock :(

Wrangler Kevlars are B/O for 33x12.50x15 :(. Discount Tire Direct only has 2EA in stock :(

I ordered an extra set so now I have two sets of brand new 35" Kevs. Putting one set on the Wife's TJ and taking her tires which are around 70% and putting them on the Rock Ranger. :D

What made you decide not to do the WJ knuckle swap?

What made you decide not to do the WJ knuckle swap?

You have to use the newer style unit bearings and I didn't want to switch. I still might do it but not right now. Drove the Rock Ranger around all night it was awesome I had people chasing me down to ask me about the truck and honking waving and screaming my kids were amazed how much people liked it. LOL

20120530_182356.jpg

This entire thread is...AWESOME...You should pick up a 3rd gen, im sure there are alot of people on this site who would love to see where that went.

This entire thread is...AWESOME...You should pick up a 3rd gen, im sure there are alot of people on this site who would love to see where that went.

Thanks!
Already been working on my plan for a 3rd gen. I have 2003 Lincoln Aviator. My wife had a little fender bender with it a couple year ago, so I am thinking I might just turn it into a solid axle swap. Do coils and links front and rear. Probably won't happen til next year cause we are moving later this year.

Very Very cool and Unique!!! No surprise people were chasing you down!

Pure Eye Candy, really dig the Merc!!!

Back