Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You reallly love those tires dont you? Lol..Sick pics as usual

LOL yes I have bought 4 sets so far. And talked two of my buddies into buying them. There is set on my wife's TJ also. She never wants to wheel her Jeep. She really liked wheeling Rock Ranger. Maybe I can talk her into selling the TJ and letting me build her a Ford. LOL Not going to hold my breath though. :D And thanks yeah my Jeep buddy came along since his Jeep was broke it keeps overheating I made him run the camcorder. :D He watched the Fords kick butt and run cool all day.

Tell her no matter what amenity she thinks the TJ has can be installed in the new Ford. Bucket Seats we got those, sound systems we got those, cargo space we got that, clearance we got that, etc.. our list can handle anything.

wow. very clean build.. where did u pick up the hinge and latch for your rear tire carrier?

I destroyed my roller fairlead this last time on Chinaman Gulch so I decided it was time for Hawse fairlead. Never been a fan of roller style but that is what came with the winch.

20120613_152950.jpg

Tried to talk my Jeep buddy into trading one of my roller fairleads for his Hawse when he got his winch, he is like why did it come with this Hawse style I was like I will trade you. He looked at me funny and then after he watched me destroy my roller on Double Whammie he was like now I know why you wanted to trade you jack@ss I just smiled. LOL My approach angle is much better now.

what year mk VII did you get the double cardan yolk from. i need to find a cheaper solution than getting a driveshaft made..$$$

what year mk VII did you get the double cardan yolk from. i need to find a cheaper solution than getting a driveshaft made..$$$

I ended up using a 2 door Ex sport rear shaft(some came with double cardan and have 4 bolt flange on them) I cut it down and welded it back up myself. But if you wanna use the Lincoln shaft they are the mid 80s.

Took my bro out for a day of wheeling at Wheeler Lake. I drove the Merc. He wheeled Double R. And TNT came along for the trip. All three did great and no breakage other then TNT broke a motor mount from doing poser shots on rocks so much. LOL

00091_Capture.jpg

00091_Capture_2.jpg

00091_Capture_4.jpg

00087_Capture_2.jpg

00087_Capture.jpg

00089_Capture.jpg

00101_Capture_5.jpg

00100_Capture_2.jpg

00100_Capture.jpg

Awesome truck and awesome wheeling as usual!

Awesome truck and awesome wheeling as usual!

Thanks man!:thumbsup:

We did a flex test at the top by seeing who could make it up the rock the furthest without pulling tire. Winner in order.

1st place (easily won still think there was more in her)...
20120910_130844.jpg

2nd place (kinda thinking Merc should have been 2nd look at the day light under drivers rear)....
20120910_130016.jpg

3rd place (should have be 2nd by default since TNTs owner told me when to stop right before his mark on the rock. I didn't feel bad though cause Double R blew past his mark. LOL)
20120910_131814.jpg

20120910_131827.jpg

I think you caught a sasquatch in the RR flex pic!

LOL yeah that guy... He was up there on ATV with his woman she had about the same amount of clothes on. He asked how much I would charge to make his Toyota like the Ford. I said I don't work on Yotas sorry.

what did you do for the fromt bumper?

what did you do for the front bumper?

I cut the factory bumper mounts off. Welded two 1/4" plates on each side of frame. Then welded a mount in for the winch. Cut and added a skid plate. Added some tube and then a couple D tabs for recovery points. I have used the bumper several times to save Chevys and Jeeps.

Here is pic of me using the rear bumper I built to tow 4,000 lbs on 50 mile trip to haul scrap metal. Merc did great.

Merctrailer.jpg

i love your truck. It looks awesome! And i think the bumper looks great and probably works better. I have no tow point on my truck so that would be a good spot probably

I need a rear bumper with a swingout......

The Merc is SOA, but what does it have for rear shackles? Factory, beefed up factory length or a different length? I've been tossing around the idea of SOA so the lower shock mounts aren't the lowest thing on the axle. And then of course I need to address the front: SAS or spindles and coilovers.

I need a rear bumper with a swingout......

The Merc is SOA, but what does it have for rear shackles? Factory, beefed up factory length or a different length? I've been tossing around the idea of SOA so the lower shock mounts aren't the lowest thing on the axle. And then of course I need to address the front: SAS or spindles and coilovers.
:roll:
When I first built the rear I used stock leafs and shackles with 1 inch lift anti wrap perches. Gave me 6 inches or so. As time went by it settled down to just under 6 inches. So I upgraded rear leafs to 64 inch Chevys 1/2 ton leafs and custom boomerang shackles. I took HD lift shackles and modified them to be a boomerang so I didn't gain more lift but increased the droop and let the leafs relax some. They ride real nice and can work nice when I pull the flatbed. Stock leafs flex amazing but they just don't seem to like SOA cause they will sag as they relax. I could build you a bumper if you wanted first part of next year once the new shop is up and running.

Back