Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am guessing that the problem with the stock SOA is that as you compress them they reverse arc. Most leaf springs do not like to be reverse arced. The result if you are lucky is just sagging. In my Early Bronco the result of reverse arcing the rear leaf springs was breaking 3 springs in 2 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any pictures of the back bumper from the backside, specifically the tow hitch and how you have it all reinforced ? I'm building mine and will be integrating a tow hitch into it.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I ordered some LED bars for Double R got a 40" bar for the roof. They are doing a giveaway on 40" bar if you like there Facebook page. Spread the word maybe someone on here can win. They also have pretty good prices on all there LED bars.

https://www.facebook.com/OlympusOffRoad

20130109_195002.jpg

Merc turns 2 (since it's first test drive) tomorrow so proud of my first SAS(personal swap). These trucks are great stock which makes a great platform for a wheeling rig. 28k mile since the swap. I drive it almost 3-4 times a week all over town. The Dana 30 has held up amazing I figured I would have had to swap a 44 in by now but I am still rocking stock shafts with just D44 U joints and welded on caps. Most issues I have had is a broken shock mount since I went Monotube shocks. Truck just keeps firing up and getting me where I need to go with little fuse. I am glad I decided to build this rig over my Jeep. Can't wait to see what I do to it in another 2 years. LOL

If you had built the Jeep, we probably wouldn't have met. I'm glad you built the "Merc" also. :thumbsup:

Yeah the Merc has opened the door to meet you and a lot of other great people. I need to get it ready next week for a big 2000 mile road trip. Need to go over it with fine tooth comb make sure it is ready for that much seat time. :D

Couple questions for the Professional...

I'm gonna be installing 5.13 Yukon gears front and rear ('89 GW D44 3.92+ front, '03 ST 4.10 LSD 8.8 rear)

Can I use the current carriers? How does this work, lockers would replace the current carriers, correct?

I'd like to run a locker in both front and rear, what lockers are reliable and somewhat street friendly (Pittsburgh is all hills and curvy roads)?

I remeber you and turboexplorer talking about the Yukon gears awhile back about the reboxed gears and different tooth count pinions. You wouldn't happen to have the correct/ better Yukon gear sets in stock that I could buy straight from you or your dealer could ship to me, just curious? I have bad luck with companies sending me the wrong parts and getting the correct parts shipped out (not on my dime).

Also, axle shafts. I'm looking at chromoly shafts front and rear, what shafts would you suggest?

Sorry to bomb your thread with so many questions. The more I read and research all these parts the more my brain gets fried and I forget what I was looking at before.

Thanks for all the help and tips in advance and for all your help in the past.

Couple questions for the Professional...

I'm gonna be installing 5.13 Yukon gears front and rear ('89 GW D44 3.92+ front, '03 ST 4.10 LSD 8.8 rear)

Can I use the current carriers? How does this work, lockers would replace the current carriers, correct?

I'd like to run a locker in both front and rear, what lockers are reliable and somewhat street friendly (Pittsburgh is all hills and curvy roads)?

I remeber you and turboexplorer talking about the Yukon gears awhile back about the reboxed gears and different tooth count pinions. You wouldn't happen to have the correct/ better Yukon gear sets in stock that I could buy straight from you or your dealer could ship to me, just curious? I have bad luck with companies sending me the wrong parts and getting the correct parts shipped out (not on my dime).

Also, axle shafts. I'm looking at chromoly shafts front and rear, what shafts would you suggest?

Sorry to bomb your thread with so many questions. The more I read and research all these parts the more my brain gets fried and I forget what I was looking at before.

Thanks for all the help and tips in advance and for all your help in the past.
Yes your carriers are good. Locker wise Detroit No Spin rear and Detroit Truetrac rear you will be cheesing. I get them from Drivetrain America call and tell Josh sent you and ask for free shipping. USA Standard is Yukon budget line same gears in both boxes. Even the same gears that are in G2 , Superior, Alloy, and few others. I can have them dropped shipped to you if you like. Have to PM me for contact info. I like the Yukon shafts. Ultimate 88 is good for the rear. Just Chromos for the front.

Oh and with a low pinion 44 front you can get a thick cut gear to use with 3.73 down carrier if you find a deal on a used locker. The ring gear is thicker so no need for the 3.92 up carrier.

Another SAS on Torsion bar RBV. This Ranger already had a 5.0 swapped in when it came to me...

2014-01-18134959_zps9d3d0c76.png

20140118_121728_zps727f2aa0.jpg

20140118_121746_zps62f3a31a.jpg

I made some improvements over the Merc. Merc is almost 3 years old I have some new plans for it this year one tons and 40 plus tires... :)

I made some improvements over the Merc. Merc is almost 3 years old I have some new plans for it this year one tons and 40 plus tires... :)

If you are removing your front setup to do something different with one tons, I'm interested in your SAS for mine. I'm in Arvada.

Back