99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build

FOR starters, I am David and I'm From Missouri....I bought this 99 Ford Explorer v8 from a guy in Illinois....I paid $500 for it. It has a new set of Torque Monster headers., an intake spacer, and he gave me a new cold air intake kit for it.. It had a brand new set of Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tires on it that the guy paid a grand for, it also had new breaks and rotors with it in boxes in the back, had 4 brand new shocks and rear end was recently rebuilt.......it has :eek:389,000 miles WooooWeeeeee.:eek:.......I sold the tires, wheels, shocks, running boards, breaks and rotors, front and rear bumpers, and made all of my money back plus all of my fuel money to go get it.....The transmission doesn't have overdrive, as it went out....and the transfer case pops..... It can drive but I don't drive it as in its current state its not real street friendly.....LOL.....

Okay I have been very busy but have been collecting parts in my very little spare time....:)

Here is my master plan for this trail rig beast machine of a unit......
I have a 93 dana 60 king pin front end from a 93 f350 diesel truck.....paid $150 bucks:D from a Pick & Pull type yard in ST. LOUIS, MO called Riverside Salvage.....I was shocked at the price......:D
I bought a 14 bolt FF rearend today for $100 buck
I have a new skyjacker track bar that was with a lift I traded for, may have to be shortened but it was free......
Im still up the air on trans/transfer case----I have a c4with 1350 case...but kinda want a c6 with 205, because I know those are strong, as I have ran many of them....
I going with 5.5 or 6 inch progressive rate coils in front, 3 link setup with all Ballistic Fab brackets and joints/bushings......
tube bumpers, winch in front, which I already bought the new 12,500 lb winch
rock sliders, and maybe some extra body armor here and there.....
engine runs great as we speak, a/c blows cold, power everything and works..... As for the rear im gonna do SOA with the 14 bolt FF....both my front and rear have 4.10s as we speak.....I bought the shackle kit from Ballistic to build Warrior type shackles without paying $100 bucks for them....
I haven't decided on a steering box setup yet but am leaning towards a just a new ford box with hydro assist.......
Im gonna order heims for all my steering I think

Not sure what gears I will put in later on but it kinda has to be decided along with my trans and transfercase.....it will be driven on the road but not real long distances... Whose got an idea for this....I want to run a 37-40 inch tire.....
Im running the adjustable upper coil mounts from Ballistic, with the lower mount holding the coil, shock, and link mount. I am using the 3 inch BAllistic joints and in the pic you can see a guy at the shop where I work made me a nice spanner wrench to set them up with...I got the 14-15 inch travel james duff shocks for the front, but none for the back yet.......the pro comp lights I got cheap, or else I wouldn't have bought them...the winch has a 5 year warranty but is a knock off brand, but works and will do the job....the diff cover is for my 14 bolt rear, gave 50 bucks for it, ballistic sells it for 125..a guy here in town bought it and never used it....his loss my gain.........Well I know its a long first post in here but I wanted to throw out as much info as I could to get everyone up to date, if anyone has pointers from experience or just a darn good idea, IM ALL EARS;)

Im trying to add all my pics but I cant get anything to work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What trans and transfer case do you guys run, and do you see on road use?
I have been debating a 5.13 gear set with 39-40s...but nothing is set in stone.....

I'm running a 700R4 and Atlas III, currently with 5.13's on 37's, though I'd like to squeeze in some 39's in the near future. As far as the street driving, not if I can help it, but I do use it to run to the parts store and other short errands. lol

before I decide on a ratio or trans/case im gonna decide how much ill actually drive it on the street

Atlas and driven street, trails 7 days a week. 2500 rpm at 58 mph. Might mention 302 with Edelbrock heads, L&L headers, Comp cam, Holley off road carb, MSN ignition, Aussie front d44 and ARB d70 rear. And yes it's street legal, just have to get a modified inspection sticker each year.

the 1350/1354 doubler is an idea to run with my c4 as well.....just not sure....im gonna finish my rearend on my days off and maybe get to the front end too....

Sounds like a good starting plan, since you're in Missouri try and make one of the SMORR trips.

I heard Washita which is in your area is closing :(

Yeah I live 10 mins from Washita, its closing....I have a big truck I used to run out there when they had it......And yes i will make some trips for sure, but i have to build it...that's the hard part.....its gonna be very worth it....

Back