a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the ecu question and answer, i would quote it but I have no idea how to.
I have a 91 explorer auto 2 door, and a 93 5spd 4 door. Planning on rebuilding the 5 speed trans and swapping it into the 91 and parting out the 93. my question is can I use the ecu/wiring harness from the 93 in the 91, or will that "open a can of worms" due to the o2 sensor and yadayada.
And just to verify I cannot use the auto ecu correct? thanks in advance and ya i know this thread isnt neccesarily current but Im hopin for a response

I know how to quote. :p:

The 93 harness in the 91 is, as you said, a can of worms. Find a 91 computer.

You can use the auto computer, its been done before. Its not the best way, but it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm stoked to see all the people that this thread is benefiting! It's been a long while since I have been able to post. I will try and answer any questions I can that haven't already been answered. As far as the rig goes, the swap was the best mod I have ever accomplished on it. The next in the works is the epic SAS. Stay tuned for a link to that bowl of poop.:thumbsup:

Thanks snoranger, but one last question. Whats the downside to using the auto comp amd will the harness fit? Planning on swapping in manual transfer case as well. Thanks again

Ok ive got a dilemma. Many ppl ive been talking to say its not worth doing all the work for a tranny swap when it would b much easier to just find an ex with the 5 speed already in it.. .. anyone whos done their swap have any opinion?? Im wavering between saving up for a stock 5 speed or just go with the swap....

Ok ive got a dilemma. Many ppl ive been talking to say its not worth doing all the work for a tranny swap when it would b much easier to just find an ex with the 5 speed already in it.. .. anyone whos done their swap have any opinion?? Im wavering between saving up for a stock 5 speed or just go with the swap....

Yes Tammy, it is easier to buy one thats stick already, but where's the fun in that. I can do (and have done) this swap in a weekend.

If you can find and afford a good condition 5 speed truck, why bother doing the swap, just buy it? If you cant find one comparable (or better) then what you have now, do the swap.

I have so far been unable to find a good working condition 5 speed near here. I couldn't afford to drive one from far away either. I have a guy from TRS who has all the swap parts ready for me, I just need to pay him. I just don't have anyone that I know that has a shop that could help do the swap, or do it for me. I am not sure if any of the local tranny shops would do the swap.

I've wanted a 5 speed for so long now that I'm ready to do what it takes to get one. Be it a swapped in 5 speed or a different rig. I know that my husband won't be too happy with me finding a different rig....so I'm thinking I will just have to start researching into finding some help to get it completed.

im still lost trying to find a how to thred on fitting a 5 spd in a 00. Im ankle deep in the sas swap(pictures and write up to follow), and while I have it up, (and sittin with a mangled auto), I'd like to wack two birds..

Thanks ;-€™

Alright guys one last question sine im starting this project soon. Now donor vehicle is a 93, other is a 91. I can get a 91 manuak ecu, but can i use the 93 wire harness since the trans itself will b a 93? And when you guys say you need the wire harness that is only the trans one right? Not the whole engine harneses?

Alright guys one last question sine im starting this project soon. Now donor vehicle is a 93, other is a 91. I can get a 91 manuak ecu, but can i use the 93 wire harness since the trans itself will b a 93? And when you guys say you need the wire harness that is only the trans one right? Not the whole engine harneses?

you want the trans harness to be from the same year as the engine harness, just to be sure all of the wires will match up

Am getting ready to do this soon to my x the auto in it is dieing got a leak and doing some hard shifting With a 175000 on it. I just did a motor swap when I got in and have but less then 1,000 miles on it. I've been working on rebuilding the inside of the x. If am going to replace the tranny am going to have it as a five speed. Its a 94 as far as i know its not a limited there nothing on there that say limited anyways. My big question is this should i leave the push button four wheel drive or change it out at the same time. The big part that am lost on is the wiring for the safety switch on the clutch and the computer I want to have a better idea before i jump on this. great write up btw. This will be a big help when I start the swap.

You will need a manual computer to have everything work right for emissions I believe. I got one for my swap that I am planning to do here with in the next month. Got mine off ebay for like $50 used.
Sorry I can't help on the wiring harness, I'm not good at that lol.

1)Its a 94 as far as i know its not a limited there nothing on there that say limited anyways.
2)My big question is this should i leave the push button four wheel drive or change it out at the same time.
1)The big part that am lost on is the wiring for the safety switch on the clutch and the computer I want to have a better idea before i jump on this. great write up btw. This will be a big help when I start the swap.

1) If its not a limited, what wiring?
You have to unplug the jumper under the dash and plug in the clutch pedal switch.
You have to unplug the auto trans harness and plug in the manual trans harness.
You have to unplug the auto computer and plug in the manual computer.

2) Do you want to get rid of the push button 4wd?
Do you have a manual shift T-case to swap in?
Can you find one at a reasonable price before you do the swap?
It can wait til later, but if your going through all this work already why not do it now?

Thanks snoranger you just made this so much easier for me and, knowing I don't half to change to push button out makes so much better.

I used a 91 2.9L 5spd Ranger as my donor truck for my friends 92 x will the ecu out of the ranger work in the explorer? Or will I need a ecu out of a truck with the 4.0?

Ok, so what about the clutch fork? Is that already attached on the tranny or will I have to get one for my swap???

There is no clutch fork. The slave cylinder is mounted directly on the input shaft of the trans.

Ahhh ok. I wish I could find a diagram that had the clutch parts and the tranny in it so I know which way things go.

Here's the slave installed on the input shaft.

SANY0276.jpg

Ok great, thats a start :) Thanks! Just need more pics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so going to be doing this swap in TWO days starting tomorrow morning. What exactly involves in the clutch alignment tool?
I have a wiring diagram for the wiring harness, can anyone help me with it? I don't have a manual wiring harness for the tranny, but got a donor harness to pull plugs from if needed : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/nikbait/42370731.gif

Is it going to be much easier to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it? And, how would I take out the pushrod on the mc to bleed the mc? The video I saw on here that shows bench bleeding says not to use the pushrod to bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back