a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it crank or just nothing? Which ECM and wiring did you use?

Doesn't crank at all. I hear the fuel pump cycling but that is as far as it goes. I used the ECM from a 93 Ranger XLT with a 4.0 like my 91 and the trans wiring from the 93.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the neutral switch connected on the trans? Not sure if it had a start switch on the clutch pedal but if it did is it connected and if so you must push the clutch pedal in for it to crank. Can't check the wiring right now so that's all I got to offer.

Yup, neutral switch is hooked up on the trans end and to the clutch pedal under the dash. Still nothing. I think that I will have to redo the wiring with the schematic when it gets a little warmer this weekend. Too cold to do it today (18).

Turn the key on and jump the starter solenoid, see if it cranks.

Be sure to have it in neutral and the brake on.

I'm not sure the newer ECM would stop it from cranking over, just not allow it to fire.

I installed a jumper connector to loop the starter connection on the harness. It cranked after that, but would not fire. I went thru a couple of ECM's before it worked. Even in the same year, there are different ECM's. It depends on the years, & model, besides auto or manual. With Explorer's, 91-92 are similar, 93, 94, & 95 are all different from one another with OBDI.

Hollander exchange might be helpful with figuring out the right ECM to search for. Also car-parts.com has a search feature to help locate one.

Trans is in gear right now until the shifter gets back with the extension to make it fit through the floor board. Most of the guys at the donor yard (pick & pull), say that the computer should work and have heard of others making the swap, but it is just too damn cold to do anything this week. I will try again this weekend rain or shine. But of course, FedEx is delayed due to the storm on the east coast. Thanks for the input gents, I will get back to you all when I have some good news.

Shifter with extension is now re-installed and still can't get the thing to shift into gear. Need another set of eyes under the truck to see if the throwout bearing is moving and the clutch pedal just doesn't feel right. The interior looks good with the additional cup (beer) holders. Still need to get rid of the PRNDL2 on the dash cluster, bother other than that, it looks great. Will update when I figure the shift and electronics out on it. Wish me luck gents.

Hate to repost this again but the ECUs are very different. I wouldn't bet against a 93 Ranger ECU not even trying to crank a 91. My '94 Explorer would hardly run on a '94 Ranger ECU.

You have yet to report if you can start it by jumping the solenoid.

As far as the shifter goes, did you have the shifter completely out of the trans? You may not have the prong correctly inserted into the shift forks and have it locked into some other nook. Its very easy to do if it wasn't in neutral when you removed the shifter assembly.

I am having the original ECU re-delivered to me tomorrow and will let you know regarding the computer issue. I haven't been able to jump the solenoid due to the trans being stuck in gear right now, but will get the rear end off of the ground tomorrow morning and try that. For the shifter....I think that you are correct IAmTodd, I believe that the trans was in gear when I removed the shifter, so I am gonna pull it again tomorrow as well as the floor plate to give me a little extra room and try it again. More tomorrow afternoon gents. Thank you all for your support and expertise that I am obviously lacking.

Wiring needs to be close in years. There is more emissions equipment on the 93-94. I tried to use a 91 harness and it was definitely different from the 93 harness that I got to use.

I've also come to find that the wiring and ECUs in the 93+ Rangers is very different than it is in the Explorer. As far as an ECU is concerned you need to stick with the same year as there were quite a few changes year to year. I do believe I mailed off my 91 harness to someone on here but I'll take a quick look around tonight.

Also make sure to have your clutch switch plugged in. With a manual harness you'll need that switch to be working in order to start. You can try to jump the solenoid to see if it is a starter interlock issue or an ECU issue.

So..did you mail that harness off? If not I'd be interested! ;)

Benjam :D

Nope, didn't mail it off. I am gonna try to re-use the original auto ecu and put the harness back together. The harness from the 93 was too short so I extended it by using the wires from the original. Guess I have some splicing to do now. I have the new ecu back out of it and am waiting for the original to be delivered now, should be about an hour. The shifter is back out now and will fiddle with that as well. I have it up on jack stands now and will also try to jump the solenoid when the ecu gets here. More to follow.

OK, original ECU is in and the harness has been adapted to bypass the neutral safety and adapt the new pieces of wire to the trans so now the reverse lights also work. The trans was in gear when I removed the shifter (reverse) and have now got it lined out as well. But as goes the Ashcraft luck, I need a different clutch master cylinder as the rod is too short and will not allow the clutch to fully disengage. I am looking for one that will work to finish up. Still need to button up the interior and secure the shift console to the floor, but that will be easy. More to follow. Thanks for all of the advice gents, it has helped immensely.

And by the way, jumping the solenoid worked and it helped me out tracking down all of the wires that needed bypassed. And when I say helped me out, I really mean that it helped a buddy of mine out that knows electrical. All he let me do was wrap everything up with electrical tape when he was done. AutoZone has the correct clutch master cylinder so I will be picking one up in the morning and installing it. I also swapped my 37x12.5x16.5 tires and wheels for a more manageable set of 35x12.5x15s. I was having too many issues with clearance on the rear fenders. My buddy the electrician made out like a fat cat and his Ranger looks mean now. More to follow tomorrow afternoon gents. My thanks to all.

I am now the proud owner of a 91 Ford Explorer XLT, 4 Door, 4X4, 5 Speed BEAST!!!! The new clutch master cylinder did the trick. It was a pain to bleed it though. It runs, drives and shifts like a new truck now. My thanks to all who pitched in their respective knowledge and tips to make this all possible. A special thanks to "94fourdoor" for being the inspiration to me to even attempt this swap. Without his initial write-up, I would never have undertaken such a task.

Congratulations on your completed swap! I too jammed up my shifter I think.. Took the top plate off to check things out, put top plate back on, now I can't move the stick :rolleyes:

I start on this swap tomorrow night! Hoping to have the truck back up and running by Sunday night. Have everything except for the wiring harness for now, I'm waiting for the scrap-yards to thaw before I go crawl around under a truck.

I ended up using most of the original harness. Jumped the neutral safety and wired/spliced the reverse lights. Works like a charm. Busted some u-joints last week but that was an easy fix. Had a blowout this morning on the way to work, but luckily had a full size spare. Good luck with your project.

So does anyone remember what wires im splicing to bypass the neutral safety? In the cab or on the trans?

Thanks

On mine it was the 2 pinkish colored ones under the dash by the E-Brake lever. It should be capped off. I just clipped the pinkish ones and spliced them together.

You need to jump the pink to the red/light blue at the NSS plug from the original automatic. Since it is in series, the clutch pedal safety interlock switch will still function.

You can also connect the purple/orange and the black/pink of the NSS to the reverse light switch of the manual transmission to get the backup lights working.

Did a quick search and found this.. Worked like a charm. Just need to do something about reverse and cruise. Anyone retain cruise after the swap?

I should really just go get the proper harness for this thing.

But aside from cruise and reverse, it's driving great!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has cruise installed, but had forgotten to even check it to see if it works. I rarely if ever use it, so it never crossed my mind. I will try it on the way home from work and let you know. If it doesn't, then oh well, I'll just drive it like they did before cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back