Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Did you drive the vehicle, or did the mechanic drive it? When I had this problem, I had to really get the RPM up really high to get the smell, as it wasn't smelling with the mechanic, so I told him to hold on, and got those rpms up as high as I possibly could get them, and then he smelt it, but he said it smelled like sulphur. That's not the smell, its more of a burnt oil smell. Mine has 6200 miles on her. I had the oil changed right before the 5000 miles, and the smell was gone for a little while. It's back now, but not quite as bad as it was. It's like the oil change did something, but I'm not exactly sure what an oil change can do. I do smell it a little off and on now. I would just like to know why smells are getting into the cabin of the vehicle anyways.

I visited the dealership for the second time this morning. The smell wasn't happening this fateful morning though. I guess because it was unusually cold. Whatever. This is getting old...

The smell decided not to show up with the mechanic along for a ride, and he said to come back in as soon as it happens. Ugh!

They probably think I'm imagining it. I don't get it. Yesterday it happened every time I had to accelerate. I'm almost at 20k miles.

The customer service rep from Ford has tried to work between me and the dealership, but for whatever reason, the problem won't happen when I'm with the mechanics. I asked if they could just replace the catalytic converter, but of course, they won't do it until there is concrete evidence. I understand, but I am completely frustrated with this!

Thanks Ford...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And, do you think Ford will come up with a fix? It's not just the EX's that are experiencing this smell. My dealer told me that he was test driving another Ford vehicle, and got that same smell. I never did believe the story of "it's the break-in period." I hope that this does because one of the things that Ford.

Well, it looks like our Ford dealership here in Abilene, TX might have found the culprit. Evidently the cooling vent for the catalytic converter is right by the drain pipe for the air conditioner. To test their theory, they temporarily plugged that drain and are having me drive it. So far I have not been able to smell that nasty burnt exhaust.

They are going to submit their findings to Ford, so hopefully it won't take long for a permanent fix to be found. Good thing the cold weather is setting in, no need to use the A/C!

Maybe someone else can take theirs to their dealer and have them do the same thing and see if the smell goes away. If they need to contact my dealership, they can call (325) 692-9500, Arrow Ford, ask for Jason Murphy.

Did you drive the vehicle, or did the mechanic drive it? When I had this problem, I had to really get the RPM up really high to get the smell, as it wasn't smelling with the mechanic, so I told him to hold on, and got those rpms up as high as I possibly could get them, and then he smelt it, but he said it smelled like sulphur. That's not the smell, its more of a burnt oil smell. Mine has 6200 miles on her. I had the oil changed right before the 5000 miles, and the smell was gone for a little while. It's back now, but not quite as bad as it was. It's like the oil change did something, but I'm not exactly sure what an oil change can do. I do smell it a little off and on now. I would just like to know why smells are getting into the cabin of the vehicle anyways.

The mechanic, my advisor, the service manager, and even the owner are involved in this case. The smell has been observed by all but the owner while test driving it. I have read that most dealerships are saying it's the "break-in period", it's not, I have over 5,000 on mine and have had the oil changed twice. Like I described, it appears to be making its way back into the cabin via the air conditioning drain tube which is right by the catalytic converter cooling vent. I've tried numerous times to do what I know caused the smell to occur, but so far it's not happening.

I have a case open with Ford, and the service folks at my dealership have been in constant contact with them. If this fixes it, then hopefully, Ford will come up with a permanent fix. Given the number of complaints, it wouldn't be prudent for them not to.

Is it possible that oil is seeping from around insufficiently tightened oil filters and dripping onto a hot engine component?

I ask because it seems to only happen under hard acceleration, where oil pressure will be higher, and it went away after an oil change where they would have tightened down the oil filter. Is it possible the oil filter is flawed in some way? Anybody used an aftermarket filter and have the problem resolve?

Does the Ex even have any hot parts in that area? Oh well, just throwing that out there. I had a Mazda that had the oil filter over the exhaust and it would always smell after I changed my oil from pulling the oil filter.

Thanks, I'll see if the dealership here in Stephenville TX will try that test. I'm tired of this. I'm glad somebody may have finally found the culprit.

The only problem is, why doesn't this happen to everyone? I hope it gets solved.

Also, yes I tried revving the rpm's to the red line. It was like a nightmare. I couldn't believe that there was no smell, but this was Friday morning and it was much colder than any day since I picked up this Explorer. I smelled it again today. The temperatures got a little warmer. A connection? Idunno... o_o????

I just got my Limited 2012 Ford Explorer about a month ago. Same burnt oil smell described by everyone else. I don't need to accelerate hard to reproduce the smell. The cabin vents blow the toxic smelling fumes right into the cabin. It actually smells worse to me than having my face directly behind the tail pipe. (I've actually tried this to try to determine what the smell might be.) Forget about garaging the vehicle. I keep it outside now because it stinks too much. Steer clear of this vehicle until Ford fixes the underlying issue. I'm sure this will eventually turn into a class action lawsuit soon enough. I don't feel safe putting my pregnant wife in the car.

Today was really bad. I smelled it bigtime even without the air on.
Just to check, I let down the windows and the smell got very bad. Man, there is something very wrong here. I bet the car that's behind me is smelling it too, thinking "man those new explorers stink!".
I'm afraid to try to take it to the dealership again and have it not show up. But, I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Fix this Ford!!!!! I have to consider the stupid fumes whenever I have to pass someone and decide to hold my breath. This is not a good situation.

Sounds like perhaps a small oil leak, and the oil is cooking at higher RPMs? Would also explain why it is only happening to some?

I dearly want to hear that your dealer manages to find and fix this issue!

You would of thought the Ford "higher ups" would have already figured this problem out. To me, a vehicle of this caliber (and, of course, price) shouldn't be letting any of the smells into the cabin area. I never imagined the people behind me might be smelling it also. I guess Ford thought us Ex owners were cautious drivers and wouldn't accelerate at all, but c'mon, there should be some TSB bulletin already about this, or even a recall since so many vehicles are bothered. My Ex has around 6500 miles on it. I don't smell it as much as I did earlier on, but the smell is still there. It's like you need to baby this vehicle, and my heavy foot doesn't baby any of our Ford vehicles.

1banger's initial assessment seems to make the most sense here. I'm pretty certain the smell is being caused by a crankcase ventilation problem. The smell I'm smelling is blow-by.

To summarize the high level problem, leaked blow-by fills up the engine compartment and then when the cabin vents go to pull in outside air, they're pulling in the build up of blow-by in the engine compartment.

Engine smell

I to am experiencing issues with a smell coming into the cabin during hard acceleration. I usually only accelerate hard when I am passing slow moving traffic or merging into fast moving traffic.

I have always describe the smell as a wet dog smell, but have had others say it smells like burning oil. I have 14000 miles on my LTD and take it in ever 5k miles for an oil change. When I check the oil on my Explorer it is always within normal operating limits.

I live in the country so drive with cabin recirculated air to reduce the dust in the cabin.

Hate to say it but I am glad that I came across this thread, as with the one regarding the A-pillar rattle. That took months and dropping the FSB notice mentioned on this website to get that issue resolved. Looks like I will need to scour the thread regarding engine smell and go the same route with this.

If it IS engine exhaust fumes making it into the cabin I will have a serious issue as come March 2012 I will be transporting an new born in the vehicle. Last the the hubby and I need is to bring the baby home from hospital only to poison him with exhaust fumes.

I LOVE my 2011 Explorer, but I wish I did not have to spend countless hours sorting through message boards to find solutions to problems because the service techs do not do their jobs.

The main issue is what is Ford going to do about this? This problem occurs in all models. Pretending it does not exist seems to be their answer at the moment. This is really quite disappointing.

Wanted to add that I too have this smell and am at 11,500ish miles.

Ford, I am Disappoint.

GM cars have this issue as well. My friend's Cadillac CTS under hard acceleration sometimes vents hot smelly air into the cabin. Same thing with the 6k miles 2011 Chevy Impala except the smell was worse.

I don't think this problem is isolated with just Fords. It seems to me that many modern vehicles have this problem.

I have taken my Ford Explorer to 6,000 RPM in short bursts with no smell and the smell only occurred during break in period which stopped at 1,000 miles. I also noticed the smell was more prominent when the air conditioning/ heat was on.

Do you guys have the air conditioning or the heat on when this smell is occurring?

Have just over 1200 miles. Noticed a "tool oil " smell when climbing steep grades at low RPMs and same odor under moderately hard acceleration. Had oil changed at 940 miles for first time and now the odor is more typical burnt oil smell.

Is the oil that ships in the Ex a standard 20W motor oil? Smelt like what we use to use at the machine shop for our cooling and cutting tools.

The smell on mine is exactly the same after 26,000 miles now. It doesn't matter if the air is on or not. It happens pretty much every time I have to put any kind of load on it (3000 + rpms or so). I will try again after all of the holiday madness is over. I just haven't had time to take it in again.

This is embarrassing. I have to pick my parents up at the airport tomorrow in this. I hope I don't have to deal with the problem on the way home. This shouldn't be a problem to be having with a new vehicle. Argh!

If there are at least as many people as are on this message board that have this problem, surely some Ford mechanic has had some kind of epiphany and could have figured this out.

I don't think they want to figure it out. It's been over a year for some people with their new vehicles, and Ford has yet to come up with a fix?!!

The smell on mine is exactly the same after 26,000 miles now. It doesn't matter if the air is on or not. It happens pretty much every time I have to put any kind of load on it (3000 + rpms or so). I will try again after all of the holiday madness is over. I just haven't had time to take it in again.

This is embarrassing. I have to pick my parents up at the airport tomorrow in this. I hope I don't have to deal with the problem on the way home. This shouldn't be a problem to be having with a new vehicle. Argh!

If there are at least as many people as are on this message board that have this problem, surely some Ford mechanic has had some kind of epiphany and could have figured this out.

I have 280 miles on my recently built (11/28/11) EX and have noticed the burnt oil smell a couple of times as well. Like everyone else has already said, it happened when I accelerated hard to pass someone on the highway, and the other time was coming up an on-ramp to merge with traffic. My wife and I will be having a baby soon and it would be unacceptable to have oil/gas fumes coming into the interior of the car.

A Ford rep on this site needs to make a solid effort to get to the bottom of this. And yes, this could easily become a class action lawsuit if not addressed.

Hi guys,

I’m available to help with this by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

I’m available to help with this by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Thanks Cory, but you've already help me tremendously with this. My vehicle has been at the dealership two different times, and I'm waiting for 10,000 miles to be on my vehicle to revisit the problem because that's what the Ford techs told my dealership that is wouldn't probably go away until the break-in period which they're saying is 10,000 miles on my engine. Thanks again Cory. Wouldn't know what I would have done without your help. I just hope that Ford is taking this problem seriously because I would think a break-in mileage period would be around 5,000 miles. My vehicle has around 7,800 on her right now, and it still does it, especially with the air conditioner on. Although the smell does happen also with the air conditioner off, but I notice it more with the A/C on.

Back