Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 102 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Ok I'm new here
But we have a 2015 Explorer Limited with the 3.5 FlexFuel and we've started to smell exhaust in the cabin when we go over 3500 rpms
Well its back at the dealer for the 4th time and now they're having an engineer come down and look at it
They've done the tsb on it all 4 times and the last time they put a whole new exhaust system under it, we had it for a week and that just made it worse
Ive done a bunch of research and this has happened to people with lower mileage, I'm guessing with the engine "breaking in", Well it started for us around 23k miles and we have just over 36k on it now
Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I'm new here
But we have a 2015 Explorer Limited with the 3.5 FlexFuel and we've started to smell exhaust in the cabin when we go over 3500 rpms
Well its back at the dealer for the 4th time and now they're having an engineer come down and look at it
They've done the tsb on it all 4 times and the last time they put a whole new exhaust system under it, we had it for a week and that just made it worse
Ive done a bunch of research and this has happened to people with lower mileage, I'm guessing with the engine "breaking in", Well it started for us around 23k miles and we have just over 36k on it now
Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same subject that I found using the 'Search' function.
BTW, your profile shows a 2003 Explorer. Do you have both?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same subject that I found using the 'Search' function.
BTW, your profile shows a 2003 Explorer. Do you have both?

Peter

Yes I have a 2003 Explorer and a 2015 Explorer, wasn't sure how you add another vehicle

Yes I have a 2003 Explorer and a 2015 Explorer, wasn't sure how you add another vehicle
Most members will create a 'Signature' and add additional vehicles to that. That can be done by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page. That will present a variety of options including one for 'Signature'. Quite a few things have changed will the new update and many of us are still feeling our way around the site.

Peter

Hello Everyone. I have a new 2015 Explorer LTD. It has the exhaust fume problem under hard acceleration. The entire cabin fills with fumes and is unbearable to drive. Purchased this vehicle brand new with 200 miles, now has 2500. I have had the TSB done 14-0130, where they change out the left side air extractor and use sealant for the back bumper etc., This has not helped the problem.
I saw this post on the new exhaust.

Can you please tell me if this fix was done under warranty at a Ford dealer and did they state that there is a new TSB for it? I have an appointment to take it back in, but based on the phone conversation it sounded like, it was going to just sit at the dealer as they did not have any other options than what they already did. The revised exhaust tips turning down, makes sense to me as I feel it is the exhaust getting pulled back into the vehicle as it keeps accelerating.

Please let me know if the dealer provided any additional information. It would be great to have some backup before I make the trek back in. Thank you much.

Update for anyone interested. I went thru the channels and was awarded the buyback. Question is what now? Are people with 16's facing the issue? Fool me once shame on them....fool me twice....

I have a 2016 base model 4x4 explorer and I have the same burning smell. At the dealer today and they said the smell was coming from a brake pad that was rubbing. I highly doubt that is the issue though, I will find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

How did you do the buy back program? I may be pursuing that soon.

No Idea

Honestly, I have no idea. I just called Ford's 1-800 # and opened a buyback request ticket, so maybe I don't have to do all the BS again. I also sent out an email blast, which seemed to get things moving along last time too. But who knows. They didn't settle with me last time, so not sure what will happen this time.

Colson : How goes the battle with Ford and exhaust smell ?

Anyone thought about redirecting the exhaust to the side??

Viper4ExTip29.jpg

Update for anyone interested. I went thru the channels and was awarded the buyback. Question is what now? Are people with 16's facing the issue? Fool me once shame on them....fool me twice....

You can buy my ’14 Sport(I don’t have any exhaust smell issues). :)

U.S. safety officials from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have opened an investigation into possible exposure to carbon monoxide in recent models of the Ford Motor Co Explorer SUVs, the regulator's website showed on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-201...ssible-exhaust-132420248--finance.html?ref=gs

Too bad they didn't include the 16 - as it still happens
The investigation into model year 2011 to 2015 Explorer SUVs was opened last Friday by NHTSA which said it has identified 154 complaints of "occupants smelling exhaust odors in the occupant compartment," and that some of the vehicle owners "expressed concerns about exposure to carbon monoxide."

Too bad they didn't include the 16 - as it still happens
The investigation into model year 2011 to 2015 Explorer SUVs was opened last Friday by NHTSA which said it has identified 154 complaints of "occupants smelling exhaust odors in the occupant compartment," and that some of the vehicle owners "expressed concerns about exposure to carbon monoxide."

Still isolated, as I haven't experienced any smell and no readings on the CO2 detector that I had plugged in for two weeks of driving.

For those with 2016's please inform the NHSTA by filing a complaint on their website. I just did for mine. Hoping they will expand the model years to include 2016 as well. Ford still has not fixed my vehicle and has refused so far to buy it back. Going to Lemon it if no resolution this week, but was hoping to avoid that...

For those with 2016's please inform the NHSTA by filing a complaint on their website. I just did for mine. Hoping they will expand the model years to include 2016 as well. Ford still has not fixed my vehicle and has refused so far to buy it back. Going to Lemon it if no resolution this week, but was hoping to avoid that...

If we had such process over here in Canada, I would be all over it; if I had the same issue with CO2 leaking into the cabin.
All owners with with this issue should be looking into the Lemon Law, if you want to make a big statement.

We own a 2016 platinum and we're experiencing the same smell when accelerating. I took it to the dealer, who said they don't have a TSB for the 16 MY yet. I called Ford itself and was told there's nothing pending for the 16's that the operator was aware of. This is very disappointing. I hope they figure out a fix soon. It's burning our eyes!

We own a 2016 platinum and we're experiencing the same smell when accelerating. I took it to the dealer, who said they don't have a TSB for the 16 MY yet. I called Ford itself and was told there's nothing pending for the 16's that the operator was aware of. This is very disappointing. I hope they figure out a fix soon. It's burning our eyes!
Did you file a complaint with the NHTSA? That is the only way to get the current investigation extended to include the 2016 if enough owners complain. BTW, your profile 95 rx7, not a Platinum.

Peter

No I haven't filed with them yet. I'm not sure what that is or how. We're out of town this week

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 EXP LTD BD 06/02/2011. 1000 miles.

Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration. This is easily repeatable and
happens every time.

Well now we have another confirmed issue with my LTD. Under hard accelerations
coming from an on ramp and merging with fast moving
traffic only. Other wise, all you smell is the new leather in the cabin.

Accelerating normally, no smell. You have to accelerate at 3500 to
5000 rpm for this to occur. A/C is on, does not matter if climate is
set to "recirculation" or if set to vent outside air. If anything, it is
more acute if vent is set to "recirc".

I am assuming the vent door blend system on this vehicle is operated via
vacuum created by the intake manifold and piped through the firewall
to a distribution block some where under the dash. As it takes a couple
of seconds for the doors to move when changing climate settings.
If this is true there could be an issue on how the vacuum lines were
run during factory assembly, or a bad one way vacuum check valve
causing some of the crank case fumes (intended to be recirculated
back into the intake manifold to be re-burnt as part of this vehicles emissions solution),
to enter the vacuum tubing being routed to the cabin for blend door operation.

But even then, there would probably have to be a loose vacuum tube somewhere
under the interior's dash to allow the fumes to leak into the
cabin air.

This only occurs under hard acceleration when very high amounts
of vacuum are generated by the intake manifold.

Of course, I could be way off base and blend door activation could be
electrically driven, but most car makers use a vacuum system, and
have not had the opportunity to discuss this with the
service team yet, but will tomorrow when I take in to have the suspension
popping noise diagnosed. Apparently they will need to keep it all day for
that, so they can also take a look at the vacuum line routing,
check valve operation and the EGR tube routing to see if every thing looks correct.

I have found during searching this forum, that others have experienced this
also. But have seemed to write it off as the vehicle just burning off some
under coating over spray or something vague like that. But if that were the issue,
you would smell it all the time once the vehicle systems warmed up to operating temperatures.
And the smell should be much less when not venting air from the outside of the vehicle and
somewhat more when climate control is
set to "vent" and you are venting air from the outside.

We will have to see what the service team can come up with.
This may help you out with your issue. Just found out about it.
http://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

Back