Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 105 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Are there cases where this still occurs even with some mileage?
That is what this entire thread is about, unfortunately although my 2011 never had it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been a while since I have posted here. Been fighting with Ford over this for over a year. Had to file Lemon Law to get them to react. Anyways, of course had all TSBs performed over a year ago, helped but was not a fix. Just got it back from their last repair attempt last night. Drove it pretty hard on way back from dealer, seems to be working, did not notice the usual odor, however something seems to be different about the way vehicle throttles, not sure yet if its me or actually something different, because we have not driven vehicle much do to numerous issues, this being one major issue. So according to service adviser, after 5 days in shop, the SSE(Ford engineer) had them do 3 module updates, one was PTM(whatever that is), one was HVAC(makes since) and last was power steering, do not think this has any relationship to problem, just an update that needed done. Of course will not know for sure if fixed until we take on a trip on interstate. That is if I really want to attempt that, because of second issue of April 25 recall that of course Ford has no fix. All Ford people will tell you that this was not a recall that it is an advance notice of upcoming recall, looks like an official recall notice to me. Oh and it is safe to drive, even though recall states very specifically that rear toelink can fracture and cause steering issues that can result in crash.
Also on related exhaust issue, the Florida class action lawsuit never made it to court, Ford settled a couple days before court date. Do not know terms of settlement, but rest assured only one got anything out that was the attorneys.

I have a new 2017 Explorer Sport. I also have a very keen sense of smell, but my car is literally 48 hours old and it's in the early break in period, but I have smelled a small amount of engine/exhaust fumes inside the cabin after some moderate acceleration (varying speeds as per break-in), but will pay closer attention now. It's not something I've experienced with any other car I've test driven. I just figured it was literally some breaking in smell, and it may very well be that. I've never owned a new car before.

Colson543 ,where do you stand with Ford and your 2016 replacement??

Gypsy
No luck so far. I lost with the BBB so now I am waiting for my case to be scheduled with the attorney General's office.

I have a new 2017 Explorer Sport. I also have a very keen sense of smell, but my car is literally 48 hours old and it's in the early break in period, but I have smelled a small amount of engine/exhaust fumes inside the cabin after some moderate acceleration (varying speeds as per break-in), but will pay closer attention now. It's not something I've experienced with any other car I've test driven. I just figured it was literally some breaking in smell, and it may very well be that. I've never owned a new car before.
Since my post, I have not experienced any smell. Might have just been new car.

Well I jumped the gun on that. Was hoping it was fixed, but just got back from a short trip and the smell is still there.

Just got our 2013 back from ford. They said it was fixed by replacing the rear vent flaps and sealing body joints.
Left the dealer, gave it some gas and smell is still there, just as bad as before.

Posting on here won't get you anywhere, other than cluttering this thread.
Ask the OP to update the post with all of the contact emails and regulatory bodies that drivers need to reach out to.

I test drove a 2015 sport, and it smelled much worse than my 96 before I replaced the cat converter that had a quarter sized hole. The smell happened merging on a freeway with the A/C on. Salesman said it is sort of normal for some newer cars and the exhaust is extremely clean. The car was a lease but was returned early for non-payment, not related to the odor according to them. It has 10k on it. It also had a CEL that they have to take care of, wanted to try forscan with my new indash android unit but they wouldn't let.

He said some 2016s have smells too. It does feel much more powerful than my 1996 which is in perfect running condition, almost ready to overlook the smell. I wasn't really impressed with base engine explorers.

He did say service did all they could for it, so 'unless you have a solution' we can't promise it can be fixed. He said you are handy with cars maybe you can find the reason. He made me a pretty good offer for my 96, it has a lot of new parts and they looked it over. I was really surprised. They seem pretty eager to make the deal, and they said they have a few interested people(maybe I take with a grain of salt). I like the red color and everything else about it.

36.8 for the suv and 2.8k for the 96. Price was originally 38.

Is the odor something to be concerned about?

Also, I didn't look that much but do these cars have a web browser? I'm really spoiled with that now and my android unit. I doubt I will be able to install something like that because it seems lots of functions are controlled by the touchscreen.

I test drove a 2015 sport, and it smelled much worse than my 96 before I replaced the cat converter that had a quarter sized hole. The smell happened merging on a freeway with the A/C on. Salesman said it is sort of normal for some newer cars and the exhaust is extremely clean. The car was a lease but was returned early for non-payment, not related to the odor according to them. It has 10k on it. It also had a CEL that they have to take care of, wanted to try forscan with my new indash android unit but they wouldn't let.

He said some 2016s have smells too. It does feel much more powerful than my 1996 which is in perfect running condition, almost ready to overlook the smell. I wasn't really impressed with base engine explorers.

He did say service did all they could for it, so 'unless you have a solution' we can't promise it can be fixed. He said you are handy with cars maybe you can find the reason. He made me a pretty good offer for my 96, it has a lot of new parts and they looked it over. I was really surprised. They seem pretty eager to make the deal, and they said they have a few interested people(maybe I take with a grain of salt). I like the red color and everything else about it.

36.8 for the suv and 2.8k for the 96. Price was originally 38.

Is the odor something to be concerned about?

Also, I didn't look that much but do these cars have a web browser? I'm really spoiled with that now and my android unit. I doubt I will be able to install something like that because it seems lots of functions are controlled by the touchscreen.

The exhaust smell is a big problem with this generation of car. Thankfully my car does not have the problem (just has a handful of the other problems). The NHTSA has started an investigation into this matter because Ford has tried and failed mutliple times to fix this problem. There are numerous articles all over the web about it (here is one: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...to-2011-15-ford-explorer-for-possible-exhaust). The big concern with the smell is that there have been reports of carbon monoxide entering the car. There is also a massive thread on this issue on this very forum.

If i were you i would walk far away from that car or negotiate a killer deal given all of the information you now know about the car. Furthermore, you should also question yourself on if you should be buying the car from that dealer as the sales people all should know about this problem and based on what you wrote it sounds like the person is either 1) head buried in the sand 2) trying to cover up the issue.

Thanks, I think I let emotion get a hold of me, I have to do more research. I know you can't really smell CO(but it could still be there), and the odor is more of a nuisance. Exhaust also has other bad for you gasses. It is pretty bad though for such a new car.

I just came for an alignment after replacing torsion bars, and a salesman asked me to try new Explorers. I do love that Sport though!

They were ready to pick my pocket for a deposit, but I told them I'll think about it. I already have a bunch of texts!

Got a fairly quick response from L. Buckman at Ford in Michigan. After a short phone conversation, a "Ford engineer" is now meeting me at my local Ford dealership this Wednesday so he can bear witness to "The Stench". Will report back.
Glad to see you got a response! Good luck! Be sure to look up your states lemon law rules and follow it to a T. Prepare for your hearing as Ford will go after you with a vengeance. They do not want to buy the cars back at all, even though they know they're poisoning people.

One thing I can add, is that I tested for two straight weeks with a CO2 plugged in the 2nd row and there was 0ppm readings (even when I went WOT) and had the rotten egg smell.

2016 Explorer Sport here with 10,x.. miles and under hard acceleration I get the rotten egg sulfur smell in the cabin pretty strong and have pretty much since we bought it. Smells like when you drive behind a car with a bad Catalytic Converter. I have never had another car make this smell under hard acceleration (someone above posted that it is normal for cars to smell like this under hard accel but def. not in my experience). Not sure what is causing it but definitely something I will be bringing up during the next service appointment.

The rotten egg smell is not uncommon, I've had it from other cars. It's the cats, and not necessarily anything wrong.

Here's a link to one explanation

http://www.swri.org/10light/catalyst.htm

Thanks for the link. Due to the smell I had already assumed it was something to do with the Cats and them not liking when we give it the full beans haha. I don't think it is anything serious as it is only under hard accel. I certainly don't smell exhaust under normal driving or at highway speeds which is good. I guess it is just unpleasant and I have never had any of my cars new or old have that rotten egg/sulfur catalytic converter smell come into the cabin under hard acceleration.

Thanks for the link. Due to the smell I had already assumed it was something to do with the Cats and them not liking when we give it the full beans haha. I don't think it is anything serious as it is only under hard accel. I certainly don't smell exhaust under normal driving or at highway speeds which is good. I guess it is just unpleasant and I have never had any of my cars new or old have that rotten egg/sulfur catalytic converter smell come into the cabin under hard acceleration.

Your exhaust is being drawn into the cabin from the auxiliary cooling unit and it only happens when negative air pressure is created inside cabin which then creates a "vacuum like" situation drawing the fumes in. Ford knows all of this but tries to make you believe exhaust gases are harmless do to low levels.............which is not true. In 40 years of driving this is the only vehicle I have owned this scenario has ever occurred. Exhaust fumes are not harmless..............PERIOD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This isn't normal. I had a news crew do a carbon monoxide test in my vehicle. You can see the results in the video. Levels exceeded 20ppm. All other cars they tested didn't go above 1 ppm.

Back