Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 122 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Replacement drains are part of the first step of the TSB.

I'm talking about the 2 windows on the bottom of the tailgate just on the other side of the outside sheet metal. Mine has an open "window" in each side of the tailgate. I don't know the inner workings of the tailgate between the outside metal and the inside plastic, but I highly doubt it's fully sealed.
Those 2 windows right near the 2 tail pipes, so I would guess they'd be pretty susceptible to exhaust fumes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are these the "windows" you are referring to? They are drain holes and thanks to your post I found out that one of them is missing the little rubber plug. The plug is not tight and I'm guessing is to prevent dirt from entering. If that isn't it, a picture would sure help.

Peter

Drain.JPG

Drain2.JPG

Are these the "windows" you are referring to? They are drain holes and thanks to your post I found out that one of them is missing the little rubber plug. The plug is not tight and I'm guessing is to prevent dirt from entering. If that isn't it, a picture would sure help.

Peter

View attachment 150901

View attachment 150902
I hate things like that. Very easy to knock out when towel drying a vehicle or inadvertently when loading/unloading or closing a trunk/liftgate.

I received my CO meter and have been doing some testing under my normal driving conditions. So far on my 16 PIU in 'normal' city driving at speeds up to 45 mph with AC or vent on at lower to mid fan speeds and usually fresh air (but RECIRC has been automatically switched on at times by the HVAC system) - CO meter has registered 0 inside cabin on drives that ranged from 10-30 minutes. I intend to continue monitoring and will try some different driving conditions, such as the previously discussed WOT from a 40 roll with AC on highest fan speed and RECIRC to see what happens in both of my PIUs.

Peter

View attachment 150901

View attachment 150902

Yes, those are the ones. Interesting mine doesn't have plugs in either one. I cannot remember if they ever had them or not.

If they are drain holes, why would they have a plug?

Yes, those are the ones. Interesting mine doesn't have plugs in either one. I cannot remember if they ever had them or not.

I have a 17 XLT. There are 3 drain holes, left, middle, right and each has those dinky rubber plugs. They look like they could seal but also would allow drainage.

But I agree, they could easily be wiped away, or fall out when older, and you wouldn't even notice.

Like Explorer XLT 17 above, I also have 3 of those drain holes.

My dealer did the first phase of the TSB, and I am happy to say that I've not smelled any odours since. I've put on 2K, and covered all the acceleration possibilities, as well as having the HVAC set to recirc during the acceleration, and nothing since the repair. Hopefully I can put this issue to rest.

I also have "the smell" and I've got about 5k miles on my vehicle. Only under hard acceleration and it is very repeatable. Last time it was in for service I had them look at it and they couldn't find anything, but also had trouble reproducing the smell. I think they might not have pushed the vehicle hard enough to re-produce it. I'll be going back in the near future to give them a ride with me driving to point it out...
I have a 2014 Explorer XLT I just bought and discovered the burning smell on acceleration. My vehicle has 39,731 miles on it. So it doesn’t go away with time! It’s not undercoating or gaskets! I would love to know how to correct the problem.

I have a 2014 Explorer XLT I just bought and discovered the burning smell on acceleration. My vehicle has 39,731 miles on it. So it doesn’t go away with time! It’s not undercoating or gaskets! I would love to know how to correct the problem.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Any available info on how to "correct the problem" is in the later posts in this thread. Good luck.

Peter

Check my post 3 up! The first part of the TSB rectified it for me. Dealer was well aware of both the problem and the solution. I've put 3K on since it was done, and pleased with the results. Now if could get Ford to replace the Hankooks......

Dropped off mine Saturday and they still have it. I called a couple of times for updates but no response yet. if they don't call me tomorrow, I'm heading to the dealership. It's the first time taking it in for this.

"A Maryland couple said Ford agreed to buy back their Explorer after a News4 consumer investigation discovered a carbon monoxide leak.

After toxicologist Albert Donnay found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in Mark and Valentina Shedrick’s 2016 Explorer a few weeks ago, Ford sent engineers to test and repair it within days.

Ford said their engineers took it out for an "in-vehicle drive evaluation" and tested for carbon monoxide. The Shedricks said the engineers detected carbon monoxide but refused to put the results in writing."

"Ford serviced the Shedricks’ vehicle and took it out for another test drive and found "consistent carbon monoxide readings near zero," which they did document.

When News4 had their vehicle retested by Donnay, he found the same.

Even though the Shedricks' car was repaired and showing no levels of carbon monoxide, they said they don't trust it and refuse to drive it.

“I'm still not convinced this vehicle is safe to drive,” Valentina Shedrick said.

Tuesday afternoon, the Shedricks called to say Ford has offered to buy back their vehicle."

see below link for full story.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...rer-After-Carbon-Monoxide-Leak-449307163.html

I am surprised Ford made this refund offer, but now that it has, I advise anyone concerned about CO exposure to test their vehicle ASAP and request a refund if CO goes over 5ppm

(This is the only CO limit for vehicle interiors. It was adopted by Russia in 2004, which is one of just 3 countries where Ford makes the Explorer).

PS. The news report is mistaken in saying that CO fell to zero in this case after Ford made repairs. It went from max of 30ppm to 3ppm and most significantly, this no longer occured during high speed acclereration with AC on recirculate, but only during rapid deceleration from high speed.

The Dealer still has mine. Spoke with the advisor today and it sounds like the whole TSB is being done. I'll know for sure when I get it back end of the week, but they had to do the whole process. Parts were ordered and took a while to arrive, sounds like a fair demand for them. I hope after all this that it's gone.

The Dealer still has mine. Spoke with the advisor today and it sounds like the whole TSB is being done. I'll know for sure when I get it back end of the week, but they had to do the whole process. Parts were ordered and took a while to arrive, sounds like a fair demand for them. I hope after all this that it's gone.
Be skeptical, my ford dealer, Scott Peterson Motors, told me they did the whole 17 pages of the TSB. When we came it to pick up the Ex, I asked if they also replaced the exhaust parts of the TSB, and they said NO. I guess I do not understand FORDspeak. By the way the exhaust odor is still there after the first part of the TSB was done, so back to the dealer for me!

Everyone please see the following PDF that was done on my vehicle: http://www.mfmafleet.us/Doxs/17B25 - Technical Instructions.pdf

It should be noted that my vehicle WAS used for Police work in the past before my purchase, and all upfitting holes were previously plugged after equipment was removed.

Had all the "new" work done via the customer satisfaction repair number 17B25 about 3 weeks ago, they welded small turndown tips on the existing mufflers. In addition all the other repairs were done to try and fix the fumes, no improvement in the issues. I gave Ford the time, but unfortunately I am getting rid of the vehicle as soon as I settle on a new truck from a different manufacturer.

Just got it back from the dealer. The 1st part of the TSB was done. I haven't smelled anything yet, but I couldn't lay into it while in traffic. Tomorrow I will and report back

It seems to be much improved, not nearly as strong, but its not completely gone either. I'll have to make another appt. I also noticed after hard acceleration, the climate control switched from recirculate to outside air. I'm going to test this more on the way home tonight to confirm it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....I also noticed after hard acceleration, the climate control switched from recirculate to outside air........
Automatic switching will only occur if you have the Climate set to Auto and then it is only to regulate the inside temperature.

Peter

Back