Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 128 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I'm always the last to know! :)
If you log into your Ford account you should find the following under Field Service Actions;
  • FSA Title: CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS
  • Field Service Action Number: 17N03
I'm not having mine done.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have had my 2016 Explorer Limited since Oct 15. I started noticing the smell last year. Now I have 108k on the vehicle and the smell is so bad I almost can't drive it. It's now at Ford for the 3rd time. I have read through this thread and wonder if anyone has found any kind of fix? My dealership claims they can't find anything (of course) and said they pressure tested the exhaust and ran a CO test. I noticed this thread has slowed down so are people just giving up?

.....................I noticed this thread has slowed down so are people just giving up?
Many have had the free Field Service Action done. It was done on mine although I didn't have the 'exhaust smell'.

Peter

So I have had my 2016 Explorer Limited since Oct 15. I started noticing the smell last year. Now I have 108k on the vehicle and the smell is so bad I almost can't drive it. It's now at Ford for the 3rd time. I have read through this thread and wonder if anyone has found any kind of fix? My dealership claims they can't find anything (of course) and said they pressure tested the exhaust and ran a CO test. I noticed this thread has slowed down so are people just giving up?
Put me down for one who has given up for now on Ford fixing the exhaust odor in cabin.

Put me down for one who has given up for now on Ford fixing the exhaust odor in cabin.
Did you take advantage of the free repair offered in the letter you received?

Peter

Anyone notice this on the 20 ST? I have on mine. I thought I was done with that crap from my 2011.

Anyone notice this on the 20 ST? I have on mine. I thought I was done with that crap from my 2011.
If it happens to be that 'rotten egg/sulphur' smell, that is different from the exhaust smell issue.

Peter

We live in the mountain foothills in Colorado. The smell is terrible when accelerating - especially uphill - with the heat on. We’ve taken it to two different dealerships and completed the CSB for our VIN which did nothing. Both dealerships claim they cannot reproduce the problem are saying to replace the air extractor to *hopefully* fix the issue. Has anyone tried replacing the air extractor with success? How about looking to see if the PTU is leaking fluid onto the exhaust? Any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum Ashley.:wave:
I don't recall the air extractor being mentioned in conjunction with this 'smell' issue. I've never actually checked underneath to see if it is possible to have the PTU drip onto the exhaust. Not sure of the configuration but there have been posts where members found PTU fluid on the ground.

Peter

Wow. Back when I had my '15 XLT, whenever I'd floor it it'd stink like crazy afterwards for a number of minutes. I always thought it was going to catch fire or something. Also, I used to get nauseous from extended periods of driving. Now I know why. I haven't owned another vehicle that has done this since.

I also had no idea that there were 128 pages devoted to this here. Wow.

Hi, I recently purchased a used 2014 Explorer Limited. I noticed gas fumes in the cabin about 10 seconds after a hard acceleration (+4000 RPMs). After investigating a bit I found Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 19N05 (Customer Satisfaction Program 19N05 – Carbon Monoxide Concern – 2011-2017 Ford Explorer | Ford) which involves replacing the liftgate drain valves. Note that 19N05 replaces 17N03. 17N03 involved sealing and replacing many unnecessary vents, plugs and weather seals. This means Ford finally realized that the culprits were the liftgate drain valves, and updated this in 19N05. I am ordering the valves (4M8Z-78280B62-A), 2 in my case, some Explorers use 3 (check the link I provided). I will post an update after I've put them on the car.

17N03 included the drain valves as well. I had it done on my 14 even though I didn't have any issues. They installed those drain valves you reference.

Why pay for them yourself? Just call your dealer and check if your Explorer has any open recalls, then take it in and have them take care of it while you enjoy a couple cups of coffee.

Why pay for them yourself? Just call your dealer and check if your Explorer has any open recalls, then take it in and have them take care of it while you enjoy a couple cups of coffee.
Forgot to mention I live in Costa Rica and I imported the car from Florida. I own a used car dealership in Cartago, Costa Rica. The Ford dealership here won't perform any recalls issued in the US. So I'm on my own down here!

Welcome to the Forum Sebastian. :wave:

Peter

UPDATE:
I installed the drain plugs on the lift gate, absolutely no improvement.
I found a hole in the escape system, right where the main pipe coming from the engine forks out to the dual exhaust pipes. By covering the exhaust tips I noticed a LOT of fumes coming from this hole straight up towards the trunk bottom. I soldered it, will go test drive right now and post an update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back