Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did)

The little I know about the base is the headlamps don´t say "Explorer" and you don´t have the option for the 202A package of the XLT that ads active x seats, fog lamps, remote start, heated steering wheel. Also I kind of read somewhere that XLT and up are getting 3,000 price drop, can´t confirm but read it somewhere. My advice, stablish a budget and stuff you need to have, then go shopping to a dealer maybe the price between Base and XLT is too narrow in real market. Good luck
The price drop is already baked into the 21 sticker price, there may be more xlt exclusive discounts available. I've gotta look into it.

It was -20 here this morning in Port Huron lol. I wouldn't mind a heated steering wheel.

The wife likes heated seats but I never use them. I wouldn't mind ventilated seats but I'm not paying that much for a suv.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These days even the base models are fairly well decked out with features. Heck, my loaded 2010 Mountaineer doesn't have many features that a base 2021 Explorer doesn't have. The base 2021 model probably has several features I wish mine had! Plus, the basic models have less things to go wrong with them which is important as the miles rack up and the warranty expires. Repairing these higher end features will be hella expensive outside of having a warranty.

One thing I would get is the tow package even if you never plan to tow anything. The reason is this package has a dedicated transmission cooler which will help a lot in keeping the transmission more reliable over time.

If you get an Explorer, then get an ST. It is a beast. It probably also has that transmission cooler in it.

If he is considering a Base trim I doubt that jumping to the ST would be in the plan. :)

Peter

Please, please do a long test drive before you buy! I'll make a list of what to pay attention to that you may {in the excitement} not notice.

On your drive:
  • Drive around neighborhoods. Pay attention to when you slow down and when you take off at stop signs and traffic lights
  • Drive on concrete roads and pavement.
  • A must is to drive on streets that are 25, 35, 45 MPH and then highway. Notice the differences
  • Lane change on a highway by going say 35 or 45 MPH and then accelerate to change lanes. Notice or hear anything?
  • Reverse from a parking spot
  • Take a go at the car wash and pay attention to the hood

Try the following:
  • Turn the defroster on high. Do you hear anything out of the norm.
  • Notice how the start/stop feature engages. Feel anything?
  • Look up in your rearview mirror while driving. Notice the headrests? Put your passenger in that seat and ask how they feel.
Test drive a few vehicles. One with low miles and then try one that may be pushing 100 miles. My issues started just over 100 with the transmission. My loaner came to me with 45 miles and at 108 miles... noticeable difference.

Take a spin on this site and make yourself aware of other folks experiences {nightmares}.

In all fairness, I have been dealing with a bad 20' Explorer XLT that even the dealer agreed should be a buyback. Ford disagrees. I have transmission, electrical, and hood issues to name a few. The dealer gave me a 21' Explorer XLT as a loner that has the same transmission issue and introduced a new defroster issue. I know many people have been blessed with not having these same experiences. I would just caution you to dig DEEP into the forums, complaint areas, and not just the positive car reviews.

In the end, you buy what feels right for you and works in the budget.

Please, please do a long test drive before you buy! I'll make a list of what to pay attention to that you may {in the excitement} not notice.

On your drive:
  • Drive around neighborhoods. Pay attention to when you slow down and when you take off at stop signs and traffic lights
  • A must is to drive on streets that are 25, 35, 45 MPH and then highway. Notice the differences
  • Lane change on a highway by going say 35 or 45 MPH and then accelerate to change lanes. Notice or hear anything?

Try the following:
  • Look up in your rearview mirror while driving. Notice the headrests? Put your passenger in that seat and ask how they feel.
Test drive a few vehicles. One with low miles and then try one that may be pushing 100 miles. My issues started just over 100 with the transmission. My loaner came to me with 45 miles and at 108 miles... noticeable difference.

Take a spin on this site and make yourself aware of other folks experiences {nightmares}.

In all fairness, I have been dealing with a bad 20' Explorer XLT that even the dealer agreed should be a buyback. Ford disagrees. I have transmission, electrical, and hood issues to name a few. The dealer gave me a 21' Explorer XLT as a loner that has the same transmission issue and introduced a new defroster issue. I know many people have been blessed with not having these same experiences. I would just caution you to dig DEEP into the forums, complaint areas, and not just the positive car reviews.

Most of the people on here join this forum when something goes wrong. There are already hundreds of thousands new explorers on the road that have no major issues or no issues at all. Over 95 percent Explorer people don't even log into this website and talk about positive things. I wish more positive car reviewer people post here, it's mostly when someone has an issue of some sort only then they post for help.

Most of the people on here join this forum when something goes wrong. There are already hundreds of thousands new explorers on the road that have no major issues or no issues at all. Over 95 percent Explorer people don't even log into this website and talk about positive things. I wish more positive car reviewer people post here, it's mostly when someone has an issue of some sort only then they post for help.

Very true. i got my XLT last summer and was browsing this forum unregistered when i felt something a bit odd with the EX.

Once i experienced a "real" concerning issue, is when i registered and posted.

On your drive:

Try the following:

Search the terms buyback, transmission problems, brake problems.

Search the terms buyback, transmission problems, brake problems.
Ford denied the buyback and I’m currently fighting them. The transmission problems have been twice not three times per my state regulation. There are nine issues with my Explorer. I’ve been to the dealer twice and the bays have many new Explorers they said all had transmission issues. I know there are many lucky people with good Explorers. I envy them. As I say, I love my Explorer when I look outside. I love it when I get in. I just don’t love it while driving.

FWIW, we have owned our '20 ST for three months and 2600 miles. Zero issues so far.

Go XLT. Just be a good negotiator and don't say anything about down payment trade ins etc.... Negotiate your price first, But XLT will be the right pic even if you don't want all those features it will be good for resale if you ever want to sell it or trade in in the future.
They have invoice price they won’t go below regardless. I just got my 21 XLT with sport pkg for 38.1k before all the fees. They float around 42k so there’s a few k of wiggle on price if your at the right dealer. My salesman was a friend and disclosed all numbers.

Your best deal right now may be on a 2020 model.

Peter

It appears the majority of people who purchase a base model to save a few thousand end up spending more later in time and money adding on the things they wanted in the first place.

As many here have suggested an XLT is a much better deal then a base if you look at the content you get.

Ultimately it's your call but you came here for advice, mine is same as the others, go XLT.

Today I just purchased a 2021 xlt and they had 0% financing and 2,000$ off so it was a good deal. Really like it so far the moon roof is a nice feature

Today I just purchased a 2021 xlt and they had 0% financing and 2,000$ off so it was a good deal. Really like it so far the moon roof is a nice feature
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Congratulations on the new Explorer.

Peter

Most will disagree with me, but I think you may be able to get a leftover 2020 ST for not too much more than a fully loaded 2021 XLT. (btw, I traded in 2017 XLT.) The small difference is worth the smiles you will have.

Most will disagree with me, but I think you may be able to get a leftover 2020 ST for not too much more than a fully loaded 2021 XLT. (btw, I traded in 2017 XLT.) The small difference is worth the smiles you will have.
I believe that to be true. In fact the XLT I built in a few cases was more than some 2020 ST listed on Auto Trader.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turns out my two local dealers even want to price out a base or tow package only explorer for me. Since they don't have them in stock and I guess all the dealers are being stingy on dealer trades right now.

So I guess my next thing to do is go after the dealers that have them in stock and see if they want to write up a deal.

They don't want to move off the basic xplan+ rebates either on the stock they have.

Back