Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did)

Turns out my two local dealers even want to price out a base or tow package only explorer for me. Since they don't have them in stock and I guess all the dealers are being stingy on dealer trades right now.

So I guess my next thing to do is go after the dealers that have them in stock and see if they want to write up a deal.

They don't want to move off the basic xplan+ rebates either on the stock they have.

I wonder if the chip shortage and the associated plant closures are scaring dealers their stock might be slim...........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should still be able to 10 percent off msrp on available stock. I believe they still have 0% financing also.

I am usually a base car guy, ended up going 2021 xlt 202a tow pkg awd. I paid 36k otd including nys tax (8%) and all fees. 0% financing. I'm not sure if this was a "good deal", but I couldn't buy a 5 seat subaru with 170hp, cloth seats, and belt drive for much less. I have not regretted it yet.

My non 202 xlt would have been 33k otd. In the end, I splurged on the 202, and don't regret it.

Everyone who sits in my car comments on how much they like the captains chairs. (Personal opinion obviously).

If the price difference ends up being not too much, I think the XLT and/or 202 are both worthy options.

On perceived quality/reliability, I was a Subaru guy, but after two later model cars (12 and 15) that left me wanting, I no longer have confidence in that brand the way I used to. My 2000 subaru was a heavily built, high quality car. It had quirks, but felt like a good solid car, even at 200k miles. Both newer cars felt cheap, and had actual quality issues both inside and immediately outside of warranty. The mechanical action of the awd in the 2000 was notably superior to the newer cars as well. The new cars were 'slip then grip' even with studded snows. Both newer cars felt cheaply built and became surprisingly expensive with surprising failures that I did not expect from "the responsible choice."

Good luck

Thought I'd update everyone, after taking almost every suv available on a test drive. Ive ended up at an xlt with capitans. Was thinking about special ordering but didn't feel like paying the extra 500 for the bench.

200a with tow package in atlas blue, just X-Plan plus the available discounts. But getting a decent amount on my trade.

Snapchat-10574699.jpg

Well, that's why they have different trim levels, of the same car. Not everyone wants the same thing. I will say, once you get used to something, you tend not to step down.

Thought I'd update everyone, after taking almost every suv available on a test drive. Ive ended up at an xlt with capitans. Was thinking about special ordering but didn't feel like paying the extra 500 for the bench.

200a with tow package in atlas blue, just X-Plan plus the available discounts. But getting a decent amount on my trade.

View attachment 328853

Well Done and glad you found YOUR next car.
Same color as the Wife's too.

I also got spoiled on my last 2 explorers, XLT, to me they have the perfect blend of price and luxury. Now I avoid base models. The only thing I don't like about the new XLT is that the side mirrors dont have turn signals. I hope they add them soon.
While nothing wrong with going with a base model, the XLT does upgrade quite a bit. The price difference is not great but I understand if a couple of thousand makes the difference for you. My suggestion, as others have stated is to negotiate an XLT. If your negotiations fail, then go base. I had the advantage of X pricing but there was still a lot of wiggle room. I checked out several dealers and bought my xlt about an hour away from home

Back