BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not cheap for what sounds like a crush bend system with small pipes. Stock is 2 1/4 now, remember that every Mustang 302 made had dual 2 1/4 systems. Any upgrade always includes bigger pipes, 2.5" at least.

For stock sized pipes you could do better by ordering a tail pipe from say Dynomax and the right muffler, and just about do it yourself. There are a couple of cat back kits to buy that will be much more expensive, but not too bad compared to what you were just quoted. Remember that the aftermarket parts will be mandrel bent pipes, not crush bent like muffler shops.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well I really had no way of installing anything myself, when we moved, most of my tools were lost/stolen so im down to the basics, but I went ahead and did it, he did the tips for free, so I paid 209$ out the door, 150$ for the muffler, and then only 50$ for labor and 9$ tax.

I cant even type how amazing it sounds. I love it, and one day I will probably order a DynoMax or Flowmaster, since its not quite as loud as I was hoping, but I still love it.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

Ill try and get a video up asap. Most likely wont be for another couple of hours though.

Give it 10-15 minutes or so to finish "processing"

720p! You know you want to.
It was recorded with my iPhone 4's "HD" video recording, but I dont think its all its hyped up to be.

Holy rust Batman!

Lol shutup man! Im gonna get a whole new (Probably used, but no rust) bumper probably around springtime, its too cold to be out there, and I dont wanna get a new bumper and put it on this soon to get eaten away by salt :p:

That sounds really good

Thanks man, the camera definitely makes it sound a little quieter and less deep than what it really is, but for 200 bucks, im in love :)

It doesn't sound quiet to me, I wouldn't want it any louder or it would be way to obnoxious for long highway drives. It sounds great, i would be pretty pumped if i got that for 200 as well.

Thanks man:thumbsup:

I have to say out of every vehicle ive owned, and all the things ive done to them, this is the best mod yet!

Lol shutup man! Im gonna get a whole new (Probably used, but no rust) bumper probably around springtime, its too cold to be out there, and I dont wanna get a new bumper and put it on this soon to get eaten away by salt :p:

Just teasing bro.

Exhaust founds good!

Excellent Brian, for that price with the muffler that's very good. It sounds great as is, and give it a little time to settle in too.

Thanks guys! This just makes me wanna break the bank and get the TM headers already but I would definitely be paying someone todo them which is what's holding me back because id imagine labor being $400 easy even at muff. man.

Im getting sick of the "Its just an Explorer" attitude people have! It seems like the only people who understand is my close friends only realize an Explorer is so much more than what its labeled as.

I was talkin to a good buddy from work, tellin him about my Exhaust and he did the same thing, hes like "On an explorer!?" "But why, its just an Explorer"

I know how you feel Brain. My boss can't understand why I want to go through all of the trouble to convert my 2wd to a 4wd. He drive s a Wagoner.

I know how you feel Brian....I just have fun showing all my friends what my Explorer CAN do....(i'm the only Explorer owner in my 'group')

Why customize a Neon? Why customize a Mustang?
Why? Because you own the car and you want to! You obviously care for the vehicle alot, and want to make it your own. I know everyones got opinions but some people are just flat out dumb.

By the way, this kid drives a late 80's/early 90's Cougar thats beat to hell but he thinks it can smoke anything and that its badass.

I know how you feel Brian....I just have fun showing all my friends what my Explorer CAN do....(i'm the only Explorer owner in my 'group')

Same here! Lol people EXTREMELY underestimate these things. When I had my 95' Sport, there is this hill thats pretty steep, not sure what to even compare it to, but anywho, this kid used to talk **** to everyone who had any kind of a rig, whether it was lifted or just had some bigger tires, about how badass his cherokee was, but he couldnt get it up this hill, he had like probably 33's, 4x4, lifted a few inches, and couldnt make it up there, and I bet him my explorer could, being all stock, not lifted, no nothing.

I made it up in AUTOMATIC AWD! Like nothing, literally barely gave it any gas. He has yet to this day to talk to me lol

Throwing a code: P0401
Insifficient EGR Flow

People have told me to just take it off and spray carb cleaner through it, but I figure if im gonna take the time to remove it, might as well throw a new one back on there; so I bought a new one at AZ. Its a Duralast, and im kinda weary now because ive just read a few threads saying dont buy them from autoparts stores as they fail alot.

It was throwing 4 codes, but they led me to replace the gas cap, which fixed them. I knew that from the get-go because on a full tank, if I floored it, I could smell gas and notice behind the gas cap door had gas on it.

Now im down to the P0401, and P0455.
Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected

Im more worried about the EGR code, since I have the new one. I couldnt really find any write-ups, but it seems pretty straight forward, I dont have any PB Blaster, and really dont want to go back out in town for it, is there any household solvents I can use? I have to work at 4 so im not gonna replace it today.

Also, what kind of symptoms would I have if the EGR was bad?

Bump

Back