Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I've got a few boxes of grinding and cutting wheels plus flap disc just itching to get to work on something..:hammer:

..Hopefully we can get Dave and Matt to chime in when would be good for them..

..When would be good timing for this party Brian?

..For some reading, there are a couple links in this thread..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157667&highlight=panhard

..and I can't find it but there was some really good info on the geometry etc. in one of Kevin's post after he ripped his panhard mount in Moab a couple of years ago..:dunno:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I am blushing like a little school girl.
Thanks for the support.:biggthump

Relax...I said I'd help...not buy you dinner. .:p:

I wish FST had pushed my axle farther forward. I have had to trim a whole lot out of the rear of the fenders to make enough tire clearance and I'm "only" running 36s.

Where the fender normally mounts with two bolts, mine mounts with one, and it's trimmed right up to that single bolt.

I pushed my axle forward 3-4 inches. It works great that way. My 37"s clear the cab. If you haven't cut the axle yet you might talk with db1 aboutit. If i remember right he had some coilover clearance issues with the narrow axle.

I pushed my axle forward 3-4 inches. It works great that way. My 37"s clear the cab. If you haven't cut the axle yet you might talk with db1 aboutit. If i remember right he had some coilover clearance issues with the narrow axle.

db1's axle is forward one inch from stock so he could use the same pitman arm.
He had some clearance issues with the King 2.5" shocks. Switched to 2.0 Fox and problem went away.

How wide is your Waggy axle? And, could I get mine cut down to that width and use the waggy long side shaft? I am guessing the splines are different. I don't mind having a custom axle shaft length. I am still thinking about cutting it down 3-4 inches instead of six, and having the long side shortened and resplined.
The only other issue would be no off the shelf steering, but that is not a big deal.

I am also using a stock pitman arm. The waggy axle is 61.5"wide i believe. I also have 1.25" wheel spacers on each side. Most if not all the 44 axle shafts have the same splines. They are just different lengths. So a wagoneer longside shaft would work with your housing. I made my steering out of 1.5x.25 tube and it has been bashed and it is still strait.

I also run wheel spacers.

Rick Horwitz - Mobile Admin

I am also using a stock pitman arm. The waggy axle is 61.5"wide i believe. I also have 1.25" wheel spacers on each side. Most if not all the 44 axle shafts have the same splines. They are just different lengths. So a wagoneer longside shaft would work with your housing. I made my steering out of 1.5x.25 tube and it has been bashed and it is still strait.

Good Info;
You got any idea exactly how long is a waggy longside shaft?
I think this might be the way to go. Not full width, but not early Bronco......Its a new hybrid waggy shafted Bronco tabbed, HP Dana 44.

On your steering; Did you thread the ends, or weld in threaded bungs?

I'm running the same steering as matt. 1.5x.25 dom with Chevy tre's. My bungs are welded in.... (that sounds weird)

..anyway my front axle was also pushed 4" forward.

I got my hi steer kit from a place in California but don't recommend the company at all; they had horrible customer service and messed up my order 3 times before sending me the right stuff. Anyway, I am running 1.5x.25 DOM as well and each end is threaded to accept threaded TREs. BTW the axle is a LP HD44 from a Grand Waggy.

My bung was also pushed 4" forward.

There, I fixed it for you. Doesn't sound weird at all anymore.:eek:

What does everyone think of the elockers? I like the ARB because I have had very good luck with them, but they are complicated and expensive. I want a selectable, push button type locker for the front axle, but really don't know much about the elocker. I can get one for about $200.00 less than the ARB. Also won't need to purchase a new compressor since my old one is shot. Overall savings is close to $500.

I've never known anyone who has run an E-locker:dunno:

Jefe had one, and if I remember correctly, nuked it several times.

On that note, I have had 13 years of good service from my D44 ARB... knock wood!!

I know. I have Paul B's old ARB. Its at least 15 years old and still working perfectly.

I know the E Locker was recently redesigned and is supposed to work very well now. Going to have to do a little more research.

OX locker is not much different than a push button selectable. Just have a cable to push/pull.
No compressor needed, and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the ARB. :dunno:

They also have a bolt on upgrade for electric push button motor that replaces the push/pull cable.

Same here, no experience with e-locker but my ARB was bullet proof, never failed.......when I remembered to switch it on. :D

OX locker is not much different than a push button selectable. Just have a cable to push/pull.

Randall ran an Ox-Locker. I remember he initially had some problems with it. I'm not sure how it's worked out in the long run. I don't recall if he was running it in the front or rear:dunno:

Back