Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did that a long time ago. Its cheap, easy, and it works.

Mark, I have 5:13 gears and I think they work great with 35's. With the 700R4 trans it allows much more low speed throttle control.

I am a rookie I guess.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did that a long time ago. Its cheap, easy, and it works.

Mark, I have 5:13 gears and I think they work great with 35's. With the 700R4 trans it allows much more low speed throttle control.

I'm running 5.13 as well and am quite happy with it. I've got the M5OD though, so the low speed is more about left foot control rather than right foot :)

I'd like to swap the NP231 for a 241 but it seems like they are worth their weight in gold out here.

I like the one in my jeep a lot. It would take some gold to get it off me. What about a Tera low?

I like the one in my jeep a lot. It would take some gold to get it off me. What about a Tera low?

I looked at them as well, but still not anytime soon. Do you know if the Advanced Adaptors slip-yoke eliminator and Teraflex 2 low kit I have in my 231 fit a 241?

Anybody know what this is (make, model, etc.)? I saw it at the shop that bends tubing for me.

ForumRunner_20160203_191336.jpg

ForumRunner_20160203_191350.jpg

I thought it was kind of cool, and its really well built.

I looked at them as well, but still not anytime soon. Do you know if the Advanced Adaptors slip-yoke eliminator and Teraflex 2 low kit I have in my 231 fit a 241?

The 241 has a fixed yoke so no to the sye. It's not needed either tho.

Your problem will be the speedo. The 241 doesn't have a speedo gear in the rear housing. They have an electronic speed sensor. It sucks because I can't compensate for the 35" tires without a module.

Idk about the two low kit.

Spent the day in the back country prospecting and off roading with Mike and his Green Machine. It was a very good day for both.

ForumRunner_20160209_184837.jpg

Entrance to trails.
It was a whole new to me bunch of trails. I was surprised there was somewhere in SD County that I haven't been. A few moderate, mostly technical trails, but all pretty overgrown with pinstriping brush.

ForumRunner_20160209_185327.jpg

Never actually seen gold in rock before. We picked up two buckets of this stuff. We also found a dry stream bed toward the end of the day, and got a bunch of small flakes in one spot under some rock. Cleaned it out and covered up our work for a return visit because the entire stream bed looks promising. It's hard to get to and seems rarely visited. There were several abandoned mines that dumped their tailings in that stream bed.

ForumRunner_20160209_185815.jpg

Poser shot on old foundation

ForumRunner_20160209_185849.jpg

ForumRunner_20160209_185914.jpg

ForumRunner_20160209_185946.jpg

ForumRunner_20160209_190019.jpg

ForumRunner_20160209_190051.jpg

Spend the early hours at work this morning catching up on your thread. What a great build.. always continuing to amaze me and making me wish for straight body panels again lol

Oh well, there is always the next build to try and keep the rubber side down.

you go to TDS this weekend?

Spend the early hours at work this morning catching up on your thread. What a great build.. always continuing to amaze me and making me wish for straight body panels again lol

Oh well, there is always the next build to try and keep the rubber side down.

Thanks, you can always pick up another Explorer cheap and start over...

The bent tie rod is bowed more than bent. I was driving up a tight canyon that I had been up several times before. Some good sized rocks must have fallen into it since I was there last. I drove up on two with the front tires so I did not straddle them. Rock on the passenger side popped out from under the tire and must have ended up under the tie rod.

Was going to replace it, but thinking of taking it to a machine shop I know the owner of, and having him straighten it in the press. Its 1.25 OD, 1/4" wall DOM with threaded ends for heims from BC Broncos. I am going to look at metal supply places for the thickest wall chromoly or DOM .75 OD tubing I can find and have the machine shop drive that down the center, leaving enough room for the heims to thread. Should help keep it from wanting to bow again, especially if I keep if off the rocks.

why not just invest in an aluminum link for the bottom. a 1 time investment.

I have been doing the press fix for mine for a long time now, but will be upgrading to an aluminum link across the bottom since it will bend back to original location. Ruff Stuff sells them

Press hell... i use the winch and a snatch block with a couple of tree savers. Close enough. :D

Back