• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
why not just invest in an aluminum link for the bottom. a 1 time investment.

I have been doing the press fix for mine for a long time now, but will be upgrading to an aluminum link across the bottom since it will bend back to original location. Ruff Stuff sells them
Main reason is its expensive, and mine is set up with a saddle type mount tig welded on for the drag link.

I will try the way I was thinking first, then if it bends again, replacing.

I was going to use my winch and a tree saver to try to straighten it, but it is so mildly bowed that it didn't change the toe, so decided to wait until I got home. Give it a better chance of success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Have it heat treated.

A case hardening will make it into spring steel.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Have it heat treated.

A case hardening will make it into spring steel.
It's just 1020 DOM and heat treating would have no affect on it. It needs to be cro-moly to be heat treatable. That tie rod is too small imo, I'd go 1.5 x .250 wall...but still anything can be bent. I think Matt bent his tie rod once and it was 1.5 x .250 wall cro mo. Ideally having heat treated cro mo would be as strong as you can get.

Last edited:

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Thanks for the tie rod info. I will have to deal with it next month, as this month I am actually busy.

While I was cleaning up the Explorer from its dirt bath last weekend, I took the time to replace the door panel clips. They were all worn out and the only thing keeping the panel's on was the handles. $5 on eBay got me 30 new clips. Said they for 81 and up Mustangs, but are also for Explorers.
Old

ForumRunner_20160309_152213.jpg

New

ForumRunner_20160309_152233.jpg

Was 4 clips short, but the panel's are holding. Just for reference, 94 Explorer door panels have 8 clips on front, 9 on rear.

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
It's just 1020 DOM and heat treating would have no affect on it. It needs to be cro-moly to be heat treatable. That tie rod is too small imo, I'd go 1.5 x .250 wall...but still anything can be bent. I think Matt bent his tie rod once and it was 1.5 x .250 wall cro mo. Ideally having heat treated cro mo would be as strong as you can get.
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6114

Just FYI

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Last edited:

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
My idea of finding some thick wall tube to press inside the tie rod is a fail. I thought it was 1-1/4 OD x 1/4" wall, but it's a funky sized 1-1/8 OD. No standard tube or hardened rod will fit. Can't sleeve the outside because of the saddle for the drag link and can't match the OD with the ID of a heavy enough wall tube to make it worth while.

Going to get it to the machine shop tomorrow and see what they can do with it. He can press it straight, but that's a temporary fix. Maybe he can come up with something else.

josh40601

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger & Explorer
what's the ID of the funky tube?

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I'd go 1.5 x .250 wall...but still anything can be bent. I think Matt bent his tie rod once and it was 1.5 x .250 wall cro mo. Ideally having heat treated cro mo would be as strong as you can get.
Mine is 1.5x.250 cro mo. I have a sliggt bend in it. Maybe 1/32 of an inch. You cant see it unless you hold a strait edge to it. I am still running it as is.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Mine is 1.5x.250 cro mo. I have a sliggt bend in it. Maybe 1/32 of an inch. You cant see it unless you hold a strait edge to it. I am still running it as is.
Mine is the same size. But mine is DOM. I try not to run into things with the front axle after ditching the IFS:D

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Mine is the same size. But mine is DOM. I try not to run into things with the front axle after ditching the IFS:D
Mine is the same size Dom, but looks more like Jack Nicholson smiling. Still drives great at highway speeds, so I just leave it be. :D

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
what's the ID of the funky tube?
Can't get a proper measurement because the ends are threaded and my calipers are not that deep (3+ inches). It seems to be thicker walled than 1/4" which is what BC Broncos says it is. 1-1/8", minus 1/2" should be 5/8". No where that I could find is there 5/8" OD thick walled tubing or cro-mo solid rod.

Can't leave it along, because its more like a Jack Nicholson as the Joker smile and it rubs on the drag link at full passenger side compression. And, it bugs me.

Last edited:

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Did you try mcmaster carr? I looked real quick and it looks like they have some that might work.

19Ranger94

Reaction score
City, State
Oregom
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford ranger
I have to say the details in this thread are awesome! I have really used this as an outline for my own build. my one question though is did you end up trying the 94 f150 mc? did it work just fine with the stock booster?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
While still on the subject of brakes. Do you have a photo of how you bypassed your ABS pump? I still have mine in there and would like to free up the space.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Did you try mcmaster carr? I looked real quick and it looks like they have some that might work.
Didn't try that, the machine shop guy says he will find some proper material to sleeve it with. I will post up when I get it back.

I have to say the details in this thread are awesome! I have really used this as an outline for my own build. my one question though is did you end up trying the 94 f150 mc? did it work just fine with the stock booster?
Kept the 99' MC in place. Adjusted the proportioning valve some more and removed the shims in the front calipers. Seems to have much more braking power now, but still not perfect. I am satisfied with it for now. What I am experiencing now is brake fade. Brakes work good at speed, fade quickly while slow crawling. Still work, but pedal gets soft.

While still on the subject of brakes. Do you have a photo of how you bypassed your ABS pump? I still have mine in there and would like to free up the space.
There is really nothing there to take a picture of as I removed the entire ABS pump, wiring, etc.. I used the OEM passenger side brake line since it was longer. One end to the MC, the other end I ran to the engine cross member and centered over the differential. Cut it down to length and installed the proper fittings. Used a 12-14" extended SS brake line from the hard line at the cross member to the hard line "T" manifold on the axle at the differential.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

josh40601

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger & Explorer
I have the same brake fade problem on D. Based on what you said above, my brake hydraulics are pretty similar to yours as well. Completely bypassed the ABS pump by running hardline. ABS light of course is on in the cab, but the whole pump and everything is gone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S let's see your steering box on gen 2 sas Offroad Projects 4
ovrlndr Jay's '92 SAS on F150's Offroad Projects 1
KurtECV The Black Pearl SAS and build Offroad Projects 362
G 2001 ex SAS project Offroad Projects 4
C Chato's '98 V8 Mountaineer SAS build Offroad Projects 4
9 2000 5.0 sas question Offroad Projects 3
F Dana 44 purchased, SAS questions! Offroad Projects 7
L SAS on tons and 40" Offroad Projects 2
SVO42 mushy brakes after SAS Offroad Projects 6
A 2005 sport trac Dana 30 sas (Version 2.0) Offroad Projects 24
madbutcher Madbutchers shitmachine sas Offroad Projects 93
1 D30 sas/soa Offroad Projects 4
F FullBlownModz Dana 44 SAS Build Offroad Projects 18
D Project "Twisted Sister" SAS Front Dana 44, Rear Ford 9" Offroad Projects 46
A Explorer SAS or not for daily driver? Offroad Projects 1
boominXplorer Superduty D50 axle for SAS? Give me your thoughts........ Offroad Projects 7
JTX JTX's Return! 1997 Mountaineer Build Thread SAS/4wd Conversion Offroad Projects 65
CodePoet 1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box?? Offroad Projects 3
W Woody's SAS Build Offroad Projects 4
MidnightRebel07 2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. Offroad Projects 118
I Getting closer to my full width 3 link sas need some help Offroad Projects 5
T Ford explorer sas project Offroad Projects 5
Stic-o 2nd gen SAS steering rubbing on exhaust manifold Offroad Projects 17
A sport track dana 30 sas project Offroad Projects 97
R 2002 Sport Trac SAS rack/pinion Offroad Projects 4
jprentice94 1st gen explorer sas Offroad Projects 20
B SAS for 2002 ford ranger Offroad Projects 0
D dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA Offroad Projects 18
T 99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build Offroad Projects 10
W 99 mounty sas thread Offroad Projects 0
K SAS to do or not to do? Offroad Projects 4
blueka Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap Offroad Projects 208
D 01 Sport Trac SAS Offroad Projects 33
C 94 explorer. Need help with SAS Offroad Projects 1
Y YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 14
N SAS with ABS? Offroad Projects 24
X xeek's full width sas Offroad Projects 74
Stang5lgt Bronco II SAS Dana 30/8.8.... Offroad Projects 7
C Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS Offroad Projects 32
Stang5lgt Project Lazyboy SAS... Offroad Projects 277
M 94 Re-SAS....leafs to links Offroad Projects 7
jjaganashi Gauging interest on SAS Offroad Projects 10
jjaganashi SAS "Betsy" 1-ton Offroad Projects 90
M mjc79's sas project Offroad Projects 7
LIFTEDXPLODER96 oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works Offroad Projects 34
1-MEAN-X Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 159
turboexplorer Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 965
D My no-budget 91 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 37
Four0Sport Jack's SAS version 3.0 Offroad Projects 270
C SAS leaf springs front Offroad Projects 2