Black or Chrome rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black or Chrome rims?

I'm looking into purchasing some new wheels for my ex. I've decided on American Eagle Series wheels, however i can't decide if I want a polished finish or a black finish.

I've narrowed it down to the 058 Series
058_HD.jpg

or the Series 185
185.jpg

I love the look of black rims with the original chrome center cap.

nomas009.jpg

Here's a picture of how she sits today (basically)

I'll be putting on shackles/TT December 8th, and eventually be getting some BFG A/T's.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 vote for black.

+1 for black.

I dont think black looks too good with the white, try to find something like gunmetal color to match the gray trim

Chrome but the black will probably look better longer

I dont think black looks too good with the white, try to find something like gunmetal color to match the gray trim

I strongly agree with this. I love the gunmetal looks, esp with your trim.

If not, then I got black over chrome.

I strongly agree with this. I love the gunmetal looks, esp with your trim.

If not, then I got black over chrome.

Word to your mother's uncle.

American Eagle doesn't carry any gunmetal.
Any other companies that would carry the same model (basically) ?

The black wheel doesn't do it for me. I don't think it goes with a white truck with gray trim. I also find the edge design too complicated for the clean lines of your truck. The result is that the wheel exudes a sporty look on your vehicle that I find out of place on a truck with off-road lights.

I think the chrome wheel works better. The white and chrome don't fight each other for attention and the combined effect with the chrome lights on top is one that draws the eye to the total vehicle as opposed to just the wheel. The design is similar to the wheels on semis, which gives your truck a more serious, industrial-grade look.

Gunmetal could work, though it'd depend on the design.

American Eagle doesn't carry any gunmetal.
Any other companies that would carry the same model (basically) ?

check out the American Racing(i think :rolleyes: )Teflon Mojave's they look black in photos but they are really a teflon/ gunmetal color. they are my favorite wheels. and have a similar hole pattern on the wheel as well.

check out the American Racing(i think :rolleyes: )Teflon Mojave's they look black in photos but they are really a teflon/ gunmetal color. they are my favorite wheels. and have a similar hole pattern on the wheel as well.

I agree the American Racing wheels look way better!!

Black is the way to go!

I've decided I'm not going those exact black wheels, I'm not as big of a fan of the chrome lip as thought I was. I'm looking into the American Racing Teflon Mojaves that Costman mentioned, and its just a matter of pricing at a local store whether I decide to get them.

Could someone photoshop these rims onto it? I'm garbage with it, I don't have time to figure it out
b3981.jpg

You can't always go by the color in the picture, the lighting makes a big difference. I'd go with the Mojaves personally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I think Im gonna go with the Mojaves.

EDIT: Called the local sears (Only local store that carries the Mojaves)
$169 per, around $680 total. I think I'm goin' for it :D

Back