Camshaft Recommendations for 5.0L V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Recommendations for 5.0L V8?

DanielB23

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited 5.0L V8
I’ve been looking at the ford letter cams like the E303, seeing mixed reviews. Some say the letter cams are too old and outdated, that there’s better stuff on the market now. Im just looking for a mild performance upgrade to throw in my explorer. Any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep
Comp cams xr-264
Perfect for a mild explorer 302 w some breathing mods
Very streetable makes noticeable power up higher rpm vs stock explorer cam
Basically imo it was created for the Earl bronco dudes who discovered the explorer gt40 302 would go into their trucks with it’s *****in 4r70w automatic efi and short dress high output

You will neee headers to make any power from one of these

Yep
Comp cams xr-264
Basically imo it was created for the Earl bronco dudes who discovered the explorer gt40 302 would go into their trucks with it’s *****in 4r70w automatic efi and short dress high output

Ok sweet i’ll check that one out. Are there any other header options besides TMHs for a 97 explorer? I need headers regardless, the OEM ones crippled apart when removing them.

Ok sweet i’ll check that one out. Are there any other header options besides TMHs for a 97 explorer? I need headers regardless, the OEM ones crippled apart when removing them.
TMH is pretty much the only performance option for these, since the clearance doesnt work for the mustang shorties etc. I know someone on here was trying ot make their own, but I dont think that came to fruition. I heard the old FMS headers could work if you notched the frame, but dont quote me on that one.

I know someone on here was trying ot make their own, but I dont think that came to fruition.
Hahaha yeah if you want to read that misadventure check here. My big takeaway: unless you already have the tools and skills to fab headers, you're better off with TMHs.

Going DIY will easily cost a few hundred in materials and dozens of hours of test fitting, tacking, marking, cutting, shimming, etc. TMH are also coated in a high quality ceramic you won't get from a rattle can. Worth the wait and worth every penny in my eyes.

Yep
Comp cams xr-264

Googled Comp xr-264, is this what you are referring to?

I daily drive a 03 sport trac with a 5.0, 5 speed manual, manual 4wd, obx headers, custom dual exhaust and that comp cam

I also built a 07 ranger with a 5.0, auto trans, tmh headers, Holley computer, custom dual exhaust , x pipe, and that camshaft

Cam install starts somewhere around post 84 in this thread;

I like that cam!

I ran it in a comparison to a stock X in Desktop dyno:
Comp Cam Upgrade.jpg

I put in a lot of hours of research on what’s best cam for mild 302 in these rigs… comp cams made this sucker for us basically. IMO it’s for the late 302s going into early broncos basically… once the eb crowd found out about the efi gt40 302 and 4r70w in the explorer prices on used 5.0 explorers went way up

Money well spent!

Y'all are making me wish I'd put one of these cams in my Mounty when I had the chance! I'll definitely need one for whatever 5.0 ends up in my Sport.

I daily drive a 03 sport trac with a 5.0, 5 speed manual, manual 4wd, obx headers, custom dual exhaust and that comp cam

I also built a 07 ranger with a 5.0, auto trans, tmh headers, Holley computer, custom dual exhaust , x pipe, and that camshaft

Show off!

wish they were CARB legal...

wouldn't have to be if your vehicle identifies as a pre 1975...........
these days you can identify as almost anything!
How would the emissions testing site actually know it was an aftermarket cam though?
hmmm true. i would guess it'd depend on how close they pay attn. sometimes they listen to the idle sometimes they just test haha imo if it passes the sniffer it should pass in general

Was everything stock other than camshaft in this example?
Yes!

I'd like to think I could slip one of these in. My heads only have 20k on them, so the lifters and rockers are good. What about pushrods and valve springs?

I put in a lot of hours of research on what’s best cam for mild 302 in these rigs… comp cams made this sucker for us basically. IMO it’s for the late 302s going into early broncos basically… once the eb crowd found out about the efi gt40 302 and 4r70w in the explorer prices on used 5.0 explorers went way up

Money well spent!
I really think this is the cam I wanna go with, but man I can’t wrap my head around tuning? Is this something everyone is commonly doing when installing a new cam? Do most people tune themselves or do they take the engine somewhere?

I really think this is the cam I wanna go with, but man I can’t wrap my head around tuning? Is this something everyone is commonly doing when installing a new cam? Do most people tune themselves or do they take the engine somewhere?
to get the most out of a new cam (when paired with breathing mods), tuning is good. is it required? i dont think so. but to make the most of your investment, you can tune. you take your truck to a tuning shop and they do all their magic (ie. w spark timing, AFR, etc) some companies will do it over the air, but usually you bring it in person. to DIY it i dont think you can custom do your own tune (at least a good one) without lots of research and experience. imo the canned tune in an SCT tuner is ok, but leaves something to be desired still

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No tuning needed with these mild mods just headers, exhaust and cam.
However a good dyno tune can unleash some potential power!

With headers, some exhaust mods, a mild cam (like this one) and some intake mods the stock computer is perfectly happy.

However we are now pushing the limits of the stock 19 lb / hr injectors they will be running near full duty cycle to keep up with your 5.0 now. So a tune with some 24# injectors will really unleash the potential.

This is enough for most people… but it’s not over can always keep going
After this is would be time for head upgrades, maybe boost, nitrous, or heck a stroker motor… the sky is the limit with a pushrod 302!

Back