Canister Vent Solenoid Location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrTechit

Reaction score
City, State
West Seneca, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac, Base
Hey guys and gals, I have a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, with code P1451.

It is an emissions thing and a little research says it is either a faulty circuit to the Canister Vent Solenoid (CVS) or a bad CVS.

My Questions is: Where is this damn thing located, and how can I fix it to get rid of the check engine light to pass emissions inspection in NYS?

This is a new to me truck, with 205k miles, and the death rattle. Given to me for free. So cheap or free fixes are the best.
Thank you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys and gals, I have a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, with code P1451.

It is an emissions thing and a little research says it is either a faulty circuit to the Canister Vent Solenoid (CVS) or a bad CVS.

My Questions is: Where is this damn thing located, and how can I fix it to get rid of the check engine light to pass emissions inspection in NYS?

This is a new to me truck, with 205k miles, and the death rattle. Given to me for free. So cheap or free fixes are the best.
Thank you all.

I think one is located directly beneath the battery box. I've seen older solved threads showing a hole melted into one of it's fittings from battery solution drips. The holes were difficult to spot, requiring removal because the holes were on the bottom of the fitting.
The vacuum lines also become brittle and may crack.

link to an illustration
https://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/apjp02/2012-06-14_120452_2006_eplorer.jpg

It is under the battery I took battery out and went from top but part of it had to do from the wheel well

I think the canister vent solenoid is located in rear of truck above spare wheel. Drivers side, you need to take whole canister out( 3 or 4 bolts, 2 vent lines and 1 electric).

I think the canister vent solenoid is located in rear of truck above spare wheel. Drivers side, you need to take whole canister out( 3 or 4 bolts, 2 vent lines and 1 electric).

Agreed. The canister vent solenoid is attached to the canister. The purge solenoid is located under the battery box.

If your truck has spent it's life in FL you may find you canister mounting bracket is okay, but in states where the roads are salted in winter the bracket rusts away and the canister can even fall into the spare tire.

Got it, It was over the spare tire. The thing was fried. Replaced and Check Engine light went away. Thank you.

IMG_20170827_144458609.jpg
My 01 was getting the same code. I dropped the spare this morning, dropped the bracket which was kinda hard as my bolts are rusty. The wires to the solenoid were broken, don't think chewed by a mouse but maybe. The plastic part of it was broken not sure why. Anyway I will head to the junkyard and try and get a good one with some wiring.

I ended up getting it new. Freaking expensive little part...

Back