CarPlay Nav on speedometer cluster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CarPlay Nav on speedometer cluster?

avio07

Reaction score
City, State
A
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Is it possible to have CarPlay navigation arrows display on the speedometer just like it does for the Ford navigation? 23 XLT Running Sync 3.4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible to have CarPlay navigation arrows display on the speedometer just like it does for the Ford navigation? 23 XLT Running Sync 3.4.
Android Auto shows the next turn and direction on the top of the instrument panel. Not sure about CarPlay but I would think it would also.

Android Auto shows the next turn and direction on the top of the instrument panel. Not sure about CarPlay but I would think it would also.
Did you have to enable any settings or just worked on its own? CarPlay doesn’t show anything on the instrument panel by default other than music.

Did not need to change any settings that I recall .

What SYNC software version are you on? Not sure if that makes as I'm reaching for straws.

Says build 22200_product
That version is old. If it was me I would wait for the next update. Some are saying 20251 is causing issues. Mine is fine but not worth taking a chance.

That version is old. If it was me I would wait for the next update. Some are saying 20251 is causing issues. Mine is fine but not worth taking a chance.
What sort of issues? Are you able to get CarPlay nav directions in the instrument panel?

Carplay can't be shown in the instrument cluster. Ford chose not to implement that in Sync 3. Sorry! Some Sync 4 vehicles can do this with CarPlay using Apple Maps only.

22251 is such a bad thing for me for over 4 months now. It got worse this week when I paired a new phone which it forgets on every restart. I have to re-pair it every time I drive. The old phone was deleted yet still can't retain the new device in the clogged up memory.. Oddly after multple resets today due to black screen, the FordPass synced up and updated for the first time since May 20! Whoever at Ford is responsible for this bull needs to be reassigned to something low tech and I'm being generous! What kills me is this and the camera problem and a slew of others have been addressed and the fix is never permanent. I've had this vehicle since 2019 and Sync 3 gets worse and worse. My last vehicle was on Sync 2 and I stopped doing updates after about 3 years and I had another trouble free 3 years before I traded it in for this hot mess. Yes it looks hot and drives well but the electronics SUCK!

Yeah, mine used to show the next turn info in the cluster. Since updating Sync to the 'latest' that feature went away.
Not sure if it's the Sync version, or the whole 'out of memory' condition that removed that from the cluster.

Mine (I think) is still on 19274, and I'll be damned if I can't find a sheet listing what changed from then. What features were added/removed/changed, not just "bug fixes/performance improvements"
I created 2 USB drives to update it and the map, but honestly, unless I'm changing a setting or maybe (rarely) listening to FM, I'm in Android Auto 100% of the time for Google Maps (satellite view FTW!) and music (AIMP, which is awesome for Android Auto), and don't care what it does, as long as it works! (which it does)

Mine (I think) is still on 19274, and I'll be damned if I can't find a sheet listing what changed from then. What features were added/removed/changed, not just "bug fixes/performance improvements"
I created 2 USB drives to update it and the map, but honestly, unless I'm changing a setting or maybe (rarely) listening to FM, I'm in Android Auto 100% of the time for Google Maps (satellite view FTW!) and music (AIMP, which is awesome for Android Auto), and don't care what it does, as long as it works! (which it does)
It’s nice they’ve added support for Android Auto with the instrument panel nav directions sucks for us CarPlay users. I guess I won’t be updating to the 22251 with their partition issues resetting all settings randomly. Any feedback email for the Ford Sync team to request CarPlay support for the instrument panel too?

To clarify, if you go the Navigation menu in the cluster, it says See Touchscreen
Where it normally says Trip 1, it would show distance to & direction of the next turn.
Would be nice if it integrated better & the Nav menu in the cluster would show AA/CP directions.
But, as mentioned, that went away with [I assume] the latest Sync upgrade, or the memory issues.

I would encourage anyone with a pre-22251 version of Sync to turn off Autoupdate!

I would encourage anyone with a pre-22251 version of Sync to turn off Autoupdate!
I need to check, the dealer might have updated mine recently with a Sync issue after some rear hatch components were replaced. I lost the ability to turn on Easy entry/exit height and Cargo Loading height, which they fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought you were on 22251.

Peter

Back