CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Chief, I won't need to put a lift or anything to clear the engine in a stock height Explorer will I? Some places say you need a body lift, then other places say you dont. Just wondering if you had any problem like this. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are using a carbed set up, then you should be fine... Especially since that is already coming out of a ranger which has the same engine bay size.... Typically, the big clearance issue is the 5.0 efi intake clearing the A/C Box and the headers clearing the Steering shaft. I have a 3" body lift on mine, but I modified the a/c box and Throttle cable bracket anyway... When I re-vamp my truck, which is coming pretty soon, the body lift will be coming off. Short answer it can be put it there without the body lift, yes...

Okay, thanks. Also where did you end up mounting your windshield wiper fluid and coolent container since the Battery now takes up that space in your engine bay? And will a fan from the original 4.0L work on the 302? The 302 from the Ranger won't have a fan since it was damaged when the truck was rearended. Just wondering. Thanks.

Also when you put the 302 in did you have to beef up your front suspension so you wouldn't squat in the front? Looking to just put a small lift on but worried about the added weight from the 302 and what it would do to the front suspension. Thanks.

I planned on building a windshield washer box and installing it somewhere, but haven't done that yet. I have a coolant overflow container mounted on the left next to the air filter... As far as the suspension goes, I'm not sure about that because my truck was already lifted when I did the swap. I don't think it will squat though. The 302 is not very much heavier than the stock v6. If I remember right it's only like 80lbs difference...

This thread is useful for anyone wanting to do a 5.0 swap...

Back