1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

Hello Explorer Fans.

I have been on the forums for some time and have extensively read many threads. I have enjoyed the forums so far. Now I have a question of opinion for you all.

I currently own 97' V6 SOHC Sport and I love it. I was going to SAS it, but Id rather do it to a V8 Explorer, plus, manual TC's are readily available for the swap.

To get to the point, I'm looking at a 97' 5.0 AWD Explorer (166,000 miles) (for a few hundred bucks). It's a solid vehicle, straight but its flashing a few codes. I looked up the codes here on the forums and it appears to be a "simple" fix. It idles well, but has an obvious 'lumpiness' to it. When you accelerate under load, you can sort of hear and feel it. The codes I got were P1132 - Lack of Oxygen Sensor indicates Rich and P1131 - Lack of Heater Oxygen Sensor indicates Lean. Both appear to be O2 sensor issues which may not be that big a deal. The trans seems to shift well with no obvious issues.

I'm very mechanical in nature (I work on my own cars/trucks) and fabrication of all I want to do...is what I do.

I just wanted a few opinions on the success of fixing this issue and any potential things I should look for before i pull the trigger and pick this thing up.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that. Nice work!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I’d probably swap the rear vents for black from the yard. But damn, that’s a great job. Way classier than the typical arm rest wrap and staple.

Dang! Looks great.

Looks like you may have a side business if you wanted one...

I really dig that!!! Great job!!!
I just had mine out a few weeks ago to clean up and get rid some squeaks and rattles.

I was able to break away and work on the Explorer. :chug:

I have been wanting to put a safe in the truck somewhere and have looked online for a solution. There doesn't seem to be anything available these days...maybe the truck is just too old :) for their time.

The console is perfect so I decided to create my own...I may have to reach out to @turtle for some powder coating :thumbsup: If I don't decide to match upholstery to the outside.

I made patterns for this so I can make a few more for my other Explorer and Mountaineer. Im pretty happy with the results

index.php

That is cool.

But what are you protecting in there? If a crook knows what's in it, they may just destroy the console, come with a sawzall etc. If the item is small like a gun, you might be able to cut and fit a steel box under the floor below the rear seats. I haven't thought of things like that, so you are blazing a new trail. There is some dead space below the floors in the rear corners, it's inside the wheel wells behind the tires. You might do something with that space, but the inner quarter panels cover a lot of that floor area. I've got those panels removed in my mail truck, to make use of that lost volume.

@CDW6212R

I always have something in my vehicle...temporarily, IF it is not on my person or EDC pack.

There are cases I would have an item like a firearm in it, but rarely. ie: restricted areas, etc. Valuables and similar items would be what I put in there typically.

IMHO: It would take a considerable amount of time for someone to hack up the console to enter it. I figure, the odds of someone carrying a porta-saw on their person would be unlikely...they want in and out quick (Grab and Go) so they don't get caught.

I have been working on a device that would go in the glove box....more to come on that one. :)

Thought I would do a "test' pattern on the arm rests in the doors....Still deciding if I want a stitch pattern for the door panel insert at the top....

index.php

Progress has been slow, but with spring around the corner, Its time to dig in. Im ready to drive this thing.

I decided to re-gear my front axle. Sending it out was not an option and way out of budget. I already had the tools and gauges and dove right in.

It was the most tedious thing I have ever done.

index.php

Pinion Hold down tool I made - I was not about to spend $50 for one of these
index.php

Yukon "lunchbox" locker installed
index.php

Last Night - final Pinion torque and setting up pinion pre-load....whew!
index.php

Progress is always good.. Looking good...
What ratio did you decide on?

Progress is always good.. Looking good...
What ratio did you decide on?

I ended up putting 3.73 into it to match the stock 8.8 rear. I will be running 33's so its a little off. I made the purchase well before my research...I should have went 4.11's or 4.56's. That will be my plan next year as I work the bugs out, and run 35's.

I also found a set of Dana 44's, so they may be my new axles in the future :)

Thanks for your small bits of advice and confidence to do this. It took me a slow 6 days, but I understand the process as second nature now. (i must have read and watched tons of articles and YT videos on the subject) Like you said, take your time.

Only some road time will give me the fruit of the labor I put into this....

Yeah gears are a PIA. Did a lot of them when I worked in a shop. Looks good so far.

6 days on and off the floor. I will pull the unit and put it on the bench next time. UGH!

Question for you all - how critical is it to have the disk brake, tin dust shields on? both of mine were bent up pretty bad like wadded tin foil. I plan on sourcing more from my local JY and install later.

I have been running without brake dust shields on my front dana 44 for years without any ill effects

Back