1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

Hello Explorer Fans.

I have been on the forums for some time and have extensively read many threads. I have enjoyed the forums so far. Now I have a question of opinion for you all.

I currently own 97' V6 SOHC Sport and I love it. I was going to SAS it, but Id rather do it to a V8 Explorer, plus, manual TC's are readily available for the swap.

To get to the point, I'm looking at a 97' 5.0 AWD Explorer (166,000 miles) (for a few hundred bucks). It's a solid vehicle, straight but its flashing a few codes. I looked up the codes here on the forums and it appears to be a "simple" fix. It idles well, but has an obvious 'lumpiness' to it. When you accelerate under load, you can sort of hear and feel it. The codes I got were P1132 - Lack of Oxygen Sensor indicates Rich and P1131 - Lack of Heater Oxygen Sensor indicates Lean. Both appear to be O2 sensor issues which may not be that big a deal. The trans seems to shift well with no obvious issues.

I'm very mechanical in nature (I work on my own cars/trucks) and fabrication of all I want to do...is what I do.

I just wanted a few opinions on the success of fixing this issue and any potential things I should look for before i pull the trigger and pick this thing up.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick photos of bolt locations to remove grill supports on both Mountaineer and Explorer. The Red and Yellow are locations for the support removal - Blue is to remove headlights via clips on the back side...save the spring clips; after the support is off the vehicle.

The top grill plastic cover/access panel and turn signal lenses are easy to remove - Im guessing most everyone should know this procedure.

Wiring can be tucked back into body area. I cut off a few of the connectors just in case for turn signal lenses from mountaineer to use on Explorer.

The Lower Red Arrow on Photo #1 is the hardest to get to. You have to get behind the plastic wheel well cover to get to it with a long extension. I believe the nut is a 7/16"

Photo #1
index.php

Photo #2
index.php

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Awesome Info thank you sir. I am going to be doing this Modification on mine also.

Went to JY on Saturday, found this Flowmaster under a custom painted Mountaineer that I have been picking from. Didnt think to look under it. $10...:)

Got it home and welded it in!

index.php

I finally got all the brakes done. Fronts and rear calipers are rebuilt. New Pads and disks on the front and rears were good for now till I replace them w/ new units. Still contemplating the Ranger upgrade...

Im all about just getting this on the road at this point.

I decided to drive it around the block till I realized the front diff rear gear was shot...all the grinding and clunking of bad teeth. :) I ordered a new pinon and ring gear months ago, I guess I better get it in!

Here she is on the street for the first time. Its a great feeling to know its 'running and driving' again. The rear sags a little, I may put some warrior shackles back there to push it up a little.

Still have to put in new shocks and Im contemplating on hooking up sway bars for front and rear w/ quick disconnects.

With the new year coming, I'm contemplating tire size. I unfortunately stuck with 3.74's for the ring gears, should have went 4.11's. So, I may keep the 33's for now even though I would like to stab 35's under her. Any thought's on this?

index.php

index.php

index.php

Some fun photos; a little flex... No creaking or popping

I know...rediculous, but I had to show off to the other 2 Gen 2's in the driveway who was boss!

index.php

index.php

index.php

Jeep wheels!!!!
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Kidding Merry Christmas looks awesome! I love a SAS Gen II

Looking great!!!
Awesome find on the muffler. How loud is it? or just a mellow rumble?
With the lift you have i would go 35's , I would sell the 3.73's and go with 4.88's just my two cents.:)
I was originally going to do 33's until i went to buy the tires and saw the ridiculous price difference. The 4.56 gears do fine with the 35's but if i am towing a light trailer it will kick out of overdrive or drop speed with a good head wind or grade. it's not terrible but annoying on long trips. I would have done the deeper gears if i knew i was going to wind up with 35's

@johnny499 - its a nice deep rumble, not annoying like a single baffle unit. It enhances the v8 nicely. Its currently cut off right behind the rear seat, still not too loud. I will add some tips to dump it downward and see how it goes. Thank you on the feedback for the ring gear, makes perfect sense.

@410Fortune - Easy...these are temporary :) ...new rims and skids will be in order during tax time! :)

Noticed a pictures in the beginning were missing - I replaced them to keep this thread 100%

I added "FIX" to temperature gauge issue I was having:

Since getting all the hoses reconnected, checked for leaks, I have been able to fire it up and warm up the engine and make sure items like the trans is full since all the swaps I have done. Everything is working well.

Since I have been able to warm this up, I noticed since replacing the thermostat...(click this link)
1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

...the temp gauge is now working!!!

Any tips on replacing the thermostat? I'm doing the job as soon as my parts come in. Seems straight forward and not much different than my Mustang 5.0. Does the fan need to come off?

Any tips on replacing the thermostat? I'm doing the job as soon as my parts come in. Seems straight forward and not much different than my Mustang 5.0. Does the fan need to come off?

You don't have to remove the fan, but you will have to remove the hoses. There are 2 connected. Its an easy swap out, just take your time :)

WOW I just looked at the first pictures and WOW What a change from the time you got her to now.

Worked on some upholstery ideas and vinyl textures I had on hand. Center arm rest is a charcoal black with a grey French seams along the sides back to the rear vent panel cover...I’ll follow down to the cup holder too.

What you think...I plan on accenting the interior (door panel covers and door arm rests the same way) with the French seams, in grey... The vinyl is a high end textured boat material that is super durable.

This is right after I finished...I still need to add some steam to get the wrinkles and bumps out.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

That looks damn good!

geeesh mr upholstery that's awesome
What did you use to make the stitches? did you make a pattern/template?

Also don't miss the January blowout sale!! I got my 25% off coupon today!! LMFAO at HF everything is ALWAYS on sale..........

geeesh mr upholstery that's awesome
What did you use to make the stitches? did you make a pattern/template?

I have an old Chandler Industrial Upholstery Machine (1970's Japanese made).

I 'draw' out the design I would like, then patterns are cut out, then sewn together. I like the 'french seams' allot, adds a little 'Lux' :smokin: to the interior...can be very time consuming...each french seam is made up of 3 stitches.

Can be fun ... sometimes o_O

Worth it
Wish we were neighbors, I could use those skills and that tool!
Impressive is an understatement, best looking Gen II console ever!

Cup holder is finished.... What an extreme pain in the....

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Back