CO Fall Colors run?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I was wondering if there was any interest in doing this? when do the aspens start turning? with the drought, it's been early for the past couple years.

I was thinking maybe Ouray?

I might be able to put something together if people could give me some input on time and places. My club is already planning to go to Ouray labor day weekend. Aug 29-Sept 1. I don't know if that would be too soon or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking about making a trip to Ouray over Labor day as well. I am going wheeling with the other members in town here in 10 days and I was going to propose to them that we make a trip to Ouray over labor day to do some wheeling.

Trails on my to-do list are: Black Bear, Pougeepsie Gulch, California Gulch and a few others.

I think it would be great to have a big group of Explorers up there. I have been in Ouray during labor day weekend of 2000 and the aspens hadnt turned yet but were close. I was there in October of 02 as well and I didnt get to see any aspens because all the trails had snow and I had limited time.

Close enough :D I didCalifornia Gultch last year and it was fun, hopefully I get my SAS together by then. I really want to do Black Bear too. Sounds like a good weekend to do it. How many people were there over the weekend last time you went? would we have to reserve a spot at all?

It didnt seem like there were that many people actually. I have done Engineer and Cinnamon pass 3 times now and want to do other trails. Only thing to do would be to make hotel reservations or camping reservations at the KOA. I dont know if I would be able to make it but I am going to try if there will be a group of us.

I'll be bring 2-4 depending, and anyone else that wants to come. Hopefully we can get a big group. That would be sweet!

I'm in

I want ti do those same trails. I've never wheeled Ouray. I know its beautiful and the trails are great! Last summer in Aspen the leaves started changing about mid to late Sep.

David

I'm in!
If we do Black Bear, we it is a must that it be followed up with Imogene Pass.
I doubt seriously that the trees will be changing that eary, but that doesn't mean the sceenery will be dissapointing.

Brian1, the offer to pitch a tent at my parent's place still stands. Jaws and friends are welome as well, I just need to now how many to expect.

Heath, If you can squeeze the cost of travel and food you are more than welcome to camp at my parent's place as well.

Sweet! All I need is a place to park, I usually just sleep in my X. How many cars can fit at your parents place?;)

I don't know if I'll make it all the way on Friday night, but I'll definitely be there Saturday and leave Monday.

Originally posted by mrboyle
Brian1, the offer to pitch a tent at my parent's place still stands. Jaws and friends are welome as well, I just need to now how many to expect.

Cool, thanks Mike. If I come alone I probably would bring a tent to put up. How many miles/driving time from Ouray is it? Thanks for the offer and I will let you know.

Their place is about 30 minutes north of Ouray. There is enough room for several (how many vehicles can you fit on 20 acres) people to park. I can also get the water turned back on so there will be a bathroom w/shower.

sounds like a funt ime. Unfortunately I'm a bit broke and my truck doesn't wheel much, LOL.
To those of you considering black bear... its scary!

Originally posted by mattadams
To those of you considering black bear... its scary!

WUSSY :p
I thought it was fun! :D

I've never been on it before. How bad is it? I hope I'll have my SAS done by then.

I dont think Black Bear is bad if you are used to shelf roads. I know a 2.5" lifted explorer did it on 30" tires so any mildly modified Explorer can do it. I want to do it to see what it is like, I have never done the trail before.

Hey guys, I might go along for this trip if I do not go hunting. I would love to go over black bear since I didn't go with mike earlier this summer. I'll let you know.

I'm okay with shelf roads... Its when those shelf roads have an off camber situation that bothers me... Because we all know if there is one, it has your truck leaning toward going over the edge!!! Thats what scares the s*&$ out of me (as I'm sure anyone that did CCR01 can tell you!!!)...

Heath, you will not do Black Bear, I will forbid you. As was said there is a few off-camber 17-point turns around those tight turns, and they aren't that fun. I know my heart definately got racing a few times and I was very glad I had an auto, my legs were trembling. But the best picture I ever took of my explorer was on black bear, so you take your good with your bad LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back