Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer

any links available to the MAF adapter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ty [MENTION=280946]5.0EDDIEROCKET[/MENTION]

found a decent deal for 40 bucks on ebay that includes maf adapter, air filter and piping.

Not bad considering a paper filter is 12.99

Hello everyone. I wonder if any of you have knowledge about my situation. So I did exactly what was mentioned in beginning of this thread. I got a k@n cold air intake kit for a 95 mustang with 5.0. I figured I could modify to make it work. So I had to flip one of the tunes 180° and put MAFS at end by air filter. Also the 97 explorer air intake temp sensor is different style then the 95 mustang. So I got a air intake temperature sensor for mustang and wired that up with male and female connectors, just in case I needed to put stock stuff back on. I made a custom bracket that mounts to corner of MAFS on corner, because big chrome plate that came wouldn't fit. Anyways thats all fine and dandy.
But the issue is that with that high performance intake for mustang thats nearly twice the size and flow. Now the check engine light is on and says it's running lean.
So my question is. What's the easiest way to get more fuel, so it runs correctly with no check engine light?
1. Program Ecu.
2. High flow fuel pump.
3. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
4. Bigger fuel injectors.
It was a intake that don't require retuning. But maybe since explorer is not a mustang. I'm kind of on budget, but willing to do whatever is necessary to make it run correctly. I just need to know what I need to do. Please help if you know anything related. Thanks

I’d start with using the correct sensors for your motor.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. You aren’t lean because you can’t supply enough fuel, you’re lean because you aren’t reading the air/fuel values correctly, or more likely, unmetered air is getting in.

You surely didn’t make any real performance changes that would result in not enough fuel.

Hello everyone. I wonder if any of you have knowledge about my situation. So I did exactly what was mentioned in beginning of this thread. I got a k@n cold air intake kit for a 95 mustang with 5.0. I figured I could modify to make it work. So I had to flip one of the tunes 180° and put MAFS at end by air filter. Also the 97 explorer air intake temp sensor is different style then the 95 mustang. So I got a air intake temperature sensor for mustang and wired that up with male and female connectors, just in case I needed to put stock stuff back on. I made a custom bracket that mounts to corner of MAFS on corner, because big chrome plate that came wouldn't fit. Anyways thats all fine and dandy.
But the issue is that with that high performance intake for mustang thats nearly twice the size and flow. Now the check engine light is on and says it's running lean.
So my question is. What's the easiest way to get more fuel, so it runs correctly with no check engine light?
1. Program Ecu.
2. High flow fuel pump.
3. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
4. Bigger fuel injectors.
It was a intake that don't require retuning. But maybe since explorer is not a mustang. I'm kind of on budget, but willing to do whatever is necessary to make it run correctly. I just need to know what I need to do. Please help if you know anything related. Thanks
Put the stock items back on the explorer. Easiest.

There’s really nothing to gain with a huge intake, and no other mods.

There’s really nothing to gain with a huge intake, and no other mods.
So there are a few things I want to do.
1. Cold Air intake
2. Headers, flowmaster and slightly bigger exhaust.
3. Performance chip.
4. Two inch or so Suspension lift.
5. Cab swap with 94 ranger.

I already have the Thornton stage 2 performance chip installed.

The air intake is done, except for what I need to do to even out air/fuel mixture.

I have all the stuff to do exhaust. Staying with dual 2 and a quarter. Was planning on removing the rear two catalytic converters, since from what I researched there are only three 02 sensors BEFORE the 2 rear converters. Then swap stock muffler for flowmaster. Dual 2 and a quarter inlet to single 2 and a half outlet. Also eliminate the resonator. Just haven't done it yet.

As for lift, I am most likely gonna do the torsion twist in front and shackles in back. Haven't done that yet.

Doing the intake and air/fuel stuff first.

Now that you get the big picture, I only need to know best way to get the engine to have correct air/fuel ratio. So I can continue my project. I'm not looking for big horsepower. Maybe shy of 300 and I'll be happy. There was good improvement in power with the intake, just saying. The moral to the story is this is a million times better then a 3.0 v6!!!! So please, if anyone has done similar. What did you do or in a similar build what would be the next piece of the puzzle?

I still don’t believe you are having an inadequate fuel supply problem, nor do I think your planned modifications require any fuel system upgrades. The first step is to fix what’s broken about your current setup.

Ranger frames are quite different, and you can’t just can swap them. You’d be far better off swapping the 5.0 driveline into a Ranger.

For one, which year and model pcm are you using?

Any explorer V8 pcm will require 2 primary 02 sensors. One won't work

Plug the original air intake sensor in, leave the one in the intake there to plug the hole. Also, rotating the maf sensor will change the reading from the sensor.

If the MAF meter you are using is not stock, it won't work without tuning.

There is not enough performance work to require a tune. You say MAFs as in plural? The MAF may not read well if too close to the filter or perhaps you have a vacuum leak? The stock MAF should be able to read the additional airflow and the computer would compensate by adding fuel.

I still don’t believe you are having an inadequate fuel supply problem, nor do I think your planned modifications require any fuel system upgrades. The first step is to fix what’s broken about your current setup.

Ranger frames are quite different, and you can’t just can swap them. You’d be far better off swapping the 5.0 driveline into a Ranger.
Hello Mbrooks420. So I talked to a friend and they told me the issue is the mustang air intake temp sensor. So I got a brass fitting that will thread into the hole for sensor. It has a smaller threaded hole in center that I can screw the explorer sensor into. So the Ecu was confused, bcus there was a foreign sensor in its system. I haven't put it back together yet. Waiting on exhaust work.

I know that all frames: explorer, Ranger, f150 etc.. differ in many ways. But that's part of the game. My goal is to have a custom 94 Ranger 5.0. There are many ways I can do it. I'm going simple and affordable. I don't mind have some custom welding done, such as moving body mounts or bobing the bed to fit. That is minor in my opinion. I could do drivetrain and engine swap. But that would require rewiring the whole truck head to toe. With way I'm doing it, I only got to do half. There are many reasons I decided to go this route. Thanks for info.

?

No way to put a ranger cab on explorer body without reinventing the whole floor. Wiring in a 5.0 would be much easier. The explorer frame is 6" wider in the front and almost 8" wider in the back vs a ranger frame.

Hook your original iat sensor back up and just zip tie it out the intake near your air filter. If you changed your maf for some reason go back to stock.

Hello Mbrooks420. So I talked to a friend and they told me the issue is the mustang air intake temp sensor. So I got a brass fitting that will thread into the hole for sensor. It has a smaller threaded hole in center that I can screw the explorer sensor into. So the Ecu was confused, bcus there was a foreign sensor in its system. I haven't put it back together yet. Waiting on exhaust work.

I know that all frames: explorer, Ranger, f150 etc.. differ in many ways. But that's part of the game. My goal is to have a custom 94 Ranger 5.0. There are many ways I can do it. I'm going simple and affordable. I don't mind have some custom welding done, such as moving body mounts or bobing the bed to fit. That is minor in my opinion. I could do drivetrain and engine swap. But that would require rewiring the whole truck head to toe. With way I'm doing it, I only got to do half. There are many reasons I decided to go this route. Thanks for info.
Simple would be just to put a 5.0 in the Ranger. Simple would be running a factory intake that will make exactly the same power as some Frankintake sourced from other cars.

As has been said you cannot modify the air inlet or maf sensor placement or airflow in any way shape or form without letting the ecu know about it.

For the inlet air temp sensor. It has to be relative to what the ecu is expecting. if its relocated or moved to read temperature at a significantly different than previously expected temperature then the ecu needs to know about that too.

If you have a performance chip just get the tuner to update the chip for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone for the input. I have figured out the intake problem. Actually problems, I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes. I'm happy to share with all of you, so we may all be better mechanics/fabricators.
Anyways, the only way the mustang aftermarket intake would work on my explorer. I had to turn one of the tubes 180° around. Which I didn't realize until today when I tried to put it together again. So besides having the wrong sensor, which may have not even been the problem in the first place.

The main problem was the mass air flow sensor was backwards, so it wasn't reading correctly. I will laugh at my mistake. Lol

So I have ordered a silicone reducer with 90° bend that will be the last piece i need. I will have the stock explorer sensor in it and the MAFS will be in correct direction.
So PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you everyone that said I couldn't do it, that said I would have to re-program ECU and those that were right. THANK YOU! Also your welcome. I know you didn't know about the MAFS, because I didn't know til now and there were no pics. But I'm hopeful that it is solved and no issues.

As for cab swap or motor/drive train swap, that is an issue for a future date. I am considering the motor/drive train swap would be easier. Thanks again.

Back