Colindo94 front 3 link | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colindo94 front 3 link

I decided to sell the radius arms a few weeks ago and redesign the front suspension. I will be using the same steering, trackbar, coils, and front axle, but everything else went.

The links are all made of 2" OD 1.5" ID DOM tubing. The axle end have a 3" poly bushing from ballistic. The chassis end is a 2.63" flex joint from ballistic. All of the flex joints will be adjustable, but the bushings are welded streight to the link. I'm not a hundred 100% sure of the length of the links but they will be pretty long. the lower links are going to be longer then the upper link. and the upper link is going to be a drivers side upper link.

All bracketry is made of 1/4" steel. Some are from ballistic and ruffstuff, but most will be custom made.

I've been working on the 3 link calculater a little and hours of sitting under the truck with a measuring tape trying to plan. MAny research hours. And I can use all the help I can get.

Few pics of the start
SAS_2_001.jpg

SAS_2_002.jpg

SAS_2_005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't hurt to move your lower link mounts on the axle in a little at all. My lowers are mounted in line with the frame and tires just barely rub the links on full lock and thats on a narrower EB axle with 37's. You could probably compromise and mount them in the middle from where they are now to parallel
with the frame.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

UHH OHH :D

RangerCabSwap001.jpg

RangerCabSwap004.jpg

RangerCabSwap002.jpg

RangerCabSwap003.jpg

I guess you could say, the three link motivated the Ostman Bros Fab Shop :)

94 interior and front end (off the old ex) 63" chevy springs in the rear, hopefuly an upgrade in tires somewhere in the 37-38 flavor. sliders, new front bumper, already added ruff stuff weld on bead locks. we need to do something with the t case i have been trying to get a hold of a doubler for 6+ months.. front locker in the near future as well. im almost positive i am forgetting some things.

we have an 80's ranger rolling chasis if someone needs some parts (picked up only), there is everything from front to back minus the interior and body of coarse

nice!!! caint wait to wheel with you. and what moter and tranz wher in the ranger?

idk its a 4 banger and a 4 speed, there were actually two motors... one in the truck and the other in the bed. both are missing the heads.

ill snap some pics of the rear body mounts on the ranger cab to explorer chasis. it turned out really clean

picked up some 63" chevys last night for a whoppin $45!

Here are a few more pics just to keep everyone posted on what we've been working on. After cuting up the dash to try and fit it around the cage I decided to go with a custom dash so thats on the list for the next thing to do. Seat bars are next too.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_001.jpg

How I tied the a pillers to the frame
Ranger_Cab_Swap_002.jpg

63's
Ranger_Cab_Swap_005.jpg

outboard shock hoops. They will be tied together with a removable bar for more support. It will all be incorperated with a tire carrier.
Ranger_Cab_Swap_004.jpg

sliders
Ranger_Cab_Swap_003.jpg

Hurry Up And Finish This!

we made some pretty good progress this afternoon, will be posting pictures later this evening.

Seat bars
Ranger_Cab_Swap_015.jpg

They will cross over to eachother so I can mount the seats. Im using stockers for now because of the lack of money.

Love the notcher
Ranger_Cab_Swap_017.jpg

You can see the beast in the background. also working with the seats
Ranger_Cab_Swap_019.jpg

I got the dash started also but is't a slow process. I need to be able to fit in the truck and it will be tight with the cage. It should be ok though.

Wow great work on the bends and the notches!

you might have to help me do a cage in mine.
and how much weight can the 63" springs hold?

Id love to help:thumbsup: I'm not sure about the springs though...a lot of yota and ranger guys run them with huge success though. It sits a tad bit high in the rear so i might get a little shorter shackles. and remove the overload.

I would guess they would hold up under a sport. They came off a 1/2 ton pickup.

Here are a few shots from the last couple days
seat bars for the stock seats
Ranger_Cab_Swap_021.jpg

start of the dash
Ranger_Cab_Swap_022.jpg

sliders, plated, gusseted and mounted:)
Ranger_Cab_Swap_023.jpg

side shot that shows the sliders and the front end work
Ranger_Cab_Swap_026.jpg

tire carrier that ties into the shock hoops
Ranger_Cab_Swap_027.jpg

Ranger_Cab_Swap_029.jpg

looks like you almost ready to wheel it. :)

Back