Colorado Colors Run 2010 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2010

Where should CCR10 be held?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
another thing I want to throw in here--
Just my advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

While descending the "steps" on Black Bear

Use neutral, and let gravity pull you down when possible. This way you do not have the engine pushing through your frantic braking. If you get to a small hang where gravity will no longer keep you moving down hill, pop it into drive, just enough to get you moving and go back into neutral. This will take at least half of the strain off your brakes.

<<<<steps down from soap box

Really?

I agree with the trans in neutral, but I would suggest not taking your foot off the brake pedal. Reduce brake pressure, allowing gravity to work. But I wouldn't descend the steps freely/uncontrolled.

(Perhaps I misread what you said, Jon...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really?

I agree with the trans in neutral, but I would suggest not taking your foot off the brake pedal. Reduce brake pressure, allowing gravity to work. But I wouldn't descend the steps freely/uncontrolled.

(Perhaps I misread what you said, Jon...)

I think it goes without saying your foot will be wrapped around your brake pedal up to your bottom pucker---

:D
Yes, firm brake pressure.
Guys check your brakes and brake lines well. Be sure to check the caliper, and, caliper bracket bolt torque. Don't assume since you just worked on them they are good--;)

You didn't see broncoIIguy go down the steps last year, did you?

About half-way down, he let gravity work - without a countering force.

Ifin ya have the gears ya kin drive down it.

B2guy had 4.88 gears, M5, and an Atlas t-case to help descend the trails. What he did don't really apply to the majority of us :)

Neutral is definitely going to help in braking, but be ready to slap it back into gear if you need to drive out of something in a hurry.

Were getting so close guys. Can't wait!

I think Scott is reffering to futher up the hill, where there was a left side lean/ angle issue, on my rig since was way taller than everyone elses and had very flex suspension that liked to sway, i couldnt go real slow, at that on section, i kinda kept my speed up to get thru it. In a rig thats not lifted has much with stiffer suspension I wouldnt be near as worried.

I havent made my mind up if going to Ouray if thats where this ends up? But if I do I can help lead groups on trails, I have the books and pretty good with directions.

thanks for the follow up on my post turdle. I got new GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's and so far the got me outa a lot of stuff.

Im folowin the thread... u guys made up yur mind on where its goin to be

I am out, because of these ****ty transmissions. Brian looks like he is out. It looks like Ouray won the poll. Somebody thats actually going needs to step up and acknowledge that. I am sure motel rooms are starting to get scarce.

will help with some planning still not sure if I will or even can make ouray but we shall see!

Ouray is ahead in the polls and the numbers do not seem to be changing much. I would change my vote from Leadville to Ouray. I love the area and you always see something new no matter how many times you have been there.

I am still up in the air if I will make it or not, I had two big trips come up the weekend before and after this one plus a few other reasons. If I can I will make it, I havent missed a single CCR (except 99 before I became active with this group).

So the lodging details for Ouray that we have used in the past:

Lodging:

Ouray KOA
US Hwy 550 - CR23, PO Box J
Ouray, CO 81427
Information: (970) 325-4736
Fax: (970)325-0410
Email: koaouray1@mindspring.com
Reserve Online Now Or By Phone: (800) 562-8026
http://www.koa.com/where/CO/06158/

Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
For information and reservations, please call: 800-368-5444
373 Palomino Trail
P.O. Box 608
Ridgway, CO 81432
http://www.ridgwaylodgeandsuites.com/index.html

More details will follow. If someone would like to takeover since I may not be able to make it let me know, I can still help with the planning.

I will help whoever with whatever I can, but for planning I don't see myself as quatified (sp) to help in planning of trail runs since I have not been to an EF run as a driver. Someone who has ran Ouray trails is the best bet if Brian is unable to attend.
I do look forward to Black Bear and a beer at the Biergarten.

I myself have only been to Ouray once and was great but if chosen there again will pass, mainly cause I want to see other parts of Colorado, which I assume is true for most that have been, no offense to anyone that hasnt been to Ouray yet.

BethAnn and I have been to Ouray 5 years in a row now (with the Full Size Jeep group) and we STILL have not explored (snicker) everything. The Ouray/Silverton area has more trails than anyone could explore in a weekend...or a month at least!

I'll be posting a link to a photo album of our trip to Ouray this year as well as updating my build thread that led up to our insane adventure. :thumbsup:

I doubt we'll be able to make another epic trip like that again this year, though, so I'm not voting. :(

I'm still a maybe. If the deal I have planned for the 9th falls through I most likely won't drop by. I'll just wait to go out the 15th when I have the AZ trip planned. I have many of the trails mapped on Delorme though if folks want them. I have Corkscrew, Black Bear, Imogene,Engineer, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Stoney, Carson/Hart Lake loop. Missing Picayne and Placer for some reason.

well guys i have to drop out of this one.... long story short my birthday was this last tuesday so sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday my girlfriend and i went to Las Vegas and WE spent WAAAY too much money.... i was a little, (verry) drunk and not really thinking about when i got back how much i was going to need to pay rent, sorry guys... i would have loved to make this trip but $$ is tight now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on a better note, the blue man group was AWESOME, and so WAS ZUMANITY by cirque de soleil that was close to 600 for the 4 tickets not including NY/NY rooms and WAAAYYY TOOO MUCH TO DRINK!!!! DIDNT EVEN GAMBLE, my pockets would really be hurtin if i had been out on the crapps table too, then again maybe not..

Back