Colorado Colors Run 2010 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2010

Where should CCR10 be held?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I plan on being there Tuesday night with hitting trails wendsday and thursday before the runstarts. I don't plan on leaving til monday morning, but I have to call my work thursday or friday to find if they are still swamped and if so I will leave sunday to get back to work a day earlier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys have a safe trip! Here's a couple of teasers I took back in July to help you make it through next week:

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

Oh, watch out for these, found this on Imogene pass. Eco Terrorist we suspect.

DSC_0261.jpg

Can't wait to see those sights (except the deck screw on) from behind the wheel of the Dr. Jack! After setting up my area at the KOA, I'm headed down to the biergarten for a wixen beer!!! Thanks for the encouragement Scotty!!

Can't wait to see those sights (except the deck screw on) from behind the wheel of the Dr. Jack! After setting up my area at the KOA, I'm headed down to the biergarten for a wixen beer!!! Thanks for the encouragement Scotty!!
Yes, the biergarten is awesome! Also be sure to grab some Irish Egg Rolls from Obrien's Pub! Oh and going with the German theme, Das Tacos is there, we didn't try it, but you gotta love the name LOL.

Just talked to a few friends of mine today that will be up there the same weekend that we may join since both our groups looks like they will be small.

I would probably do Black Bear and Imogene as long as the weather is good so lets plan on that for Saturday, weather permitting.

Mike, I hope you can stay for Sunday!

Jack, I plan to be in the area Friday around 2 and will be running Ophir to Telluride then Last Dollar to Ridgway. Then I will stick around Sat & Sun and then Monday hit a trail on my way back towards Durango and then on home.

Just talked to a few friends of mine today that will be up there the same weekend that we may join since both our groups looks like they will be small.

I would probably do Black Bear and Imogene as long as the weather is good so lets plan on that for Saturday, weather permitting.

Mike, I hope you can stay for Sunday!

Jack, I plan to be in the area Friday around 2 and will be running Ophir to Telluride then Last Dollar to Ridgway. Then I will stick around Sat & Sun and then Monday hit a trail on my way back towards Durango and then on home.

Sounds great, Brian!! I'm pretty sure I won't have to leave Sunday, but work is swamped (and that is a good thing for job security) so I made arrangements to check in just in case. Will keep an eye on the forum while at KOA (I finally got a laptop, and since they have WiFi, looking good for that), so we can link up Friday to run trails.
Jack, when do you plan on being at Ouray?

I don't know. I could try to be there tuesday evening if you need someone to join you on the trails. What trails did you have in mind? Not sure I can get ready tomorrow. Even if I did it's 675 miles to Ridgeway. Green my X can run the speed limit and a little bit more. But it is stick shift and hurts my bad leg on the trails. Jr. my Bronco II may have rear axle trouble but is auto and will walk the trails in the San Juans. But it does not have over drive and is a bit slower on the highway.

Do we have any extra drivers? If so I'll bring Green. If not I'll need to drive out Jr. and hope the rear end stays together.

If you'd like we can see about loading some stuff on your laptop and hooking up a GPS for you.

So the trails so far are:

Wednesday-TBA
Thursday-TBA
Friday-Ophir&Last Dollar
Saturday-Black Bear&Imogene weather permiting
Sunday-TBA
Monday-TBA

I really don't plan on hitting trails until Thursday since we are gonna do Black Bear and Imogene unless another member gets there early. I just thought I would do a mine tour or some plain tourist trap on Wendsday. I aminterested in old stuff like that. Thanks for the offer but it might be pushing it if you tried to get there Wendsday having to go that distance. Maybe we can hook up Thursday?
Also thanks for the GPS offer, but I'm a map and compass type of guy. Old school. GPS is a great tool, but when a map will work I always use one. Besides, I don't have wireless (except WiFi) on the laptop, my daughter in college has the wireless and until she graduates, I won't get it.
I don't know about any other drivers.

Back in the 90's a guy by the name of Dale Lemon had Ford as a sponsor and had an event called the Ford Mountian Rendezvous. He head quartered out of the Bachelor-Syracuse Mine. http://www.bachelorsyracusemine.com/bottom.htm Kind of a nice place. I liked the tour over the Molly Kathleen mine tour we took over near Cripple Creek in the late 80's. Had some neat dutch oven tools back then. The meals were good. But that was near on to 20 year ago.

My cell number is three 1 6 six 4 zero one 7 eight 8. I'll see how tomorrow goes. Should be able to make it Wednesday afternoon if not before. I'll drive the Bronco II and see if it makes it.

Puter stuff don't need wireless. Map an compass ain't bad. I carry um. But GPS is easier and faster. Still not any more accurate map wise. Maps are wrong some of the time and the roads and trails are not where they are suppose to be. So they are just a guide sometimes.

Sunday Im thinking Corkscrew/California/Hurricane to Animas Forks then Minnie and Maggie Gulches and then the tram tower on Stony Pass if time.

FYI - I drive up from the durango side into silverton and plan to just turn off onto Ophir whenever I get there, probably 2ish. You guys could hang around the trailhead and wait or do any other trails of your choosing on Friday. I consider it a 'free' day to do what you want.

Mike, how bout Poughkeepsie for Thursday? I can go up Wednesday night a camp above the Michael(Mickey) Breen mine. Then you can drive up Thursday morning. I'll buy ya a Funnel Cake in Silverton.

Jack, sounds like we have a winner!! See you at Poughkeepsie Thursday. Umm, funnel cake.

Brian, that sounds like a winner also!! Will see what everyone else who makes it thinks.

Getting ready to load, rig is already on the trailer and pulling out in a few hours, will be stopping somewhere tonight and will get back on the forum then.

Not a good day today. Doesn't look like there is any chance for me to leave tomorrow. I'll keep trying but I may not be able to make it out.

understand Jack, know it sux when a plan is made to go to a run and then poop happens.

Update: In Clovis, NM for the night. Two joewillyfofo's, one, I forgot my camera, came across a wallyworld and got another one, left the key switch in the "run" position when I loaded the rig yesterday and killed the battery, hopefully it will recharge enough to kick the rig over, but the first truck stop I come to tomorrow am gonna get one of those portable jumpers, i have cables, but not doing any good since the rig has to be offloaded to drop the trailer. Oh well live and learn.
But the Silverado pulls outstanding, the real test will be after Durango tomorrow.
:D :D :D :D

kinda last minute but there is just no way :( you guys have fun be safe and take lots of pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

side note Great article in crawl brian on Robilio's jeep looks good!

greetings from KOA Ouray!!!! The Silverado pulls like a champ, I am darn impressed with the pulling of that 4.8L engine, actually caught my brake pad (Left front) on fire coming down the mountian after Silverton, noticed the smell and pulled over, just a little flame, poured water on it and let them cool for around a half hour, readjusted my driving and lala, brake lines not touched.

side note Great article in crawl brian on Robilio's jeep looks good!

You got it already?! I was just talking about that yesterday. Hope my issue comes soon!

Sorry you cant make it Marshall, I might be coming up your way with the Jeep in the next month or 2 and I will be sure to let you know!

Got my new radiator today and went to the UPull for the correct fan shroud. Install tomorrow then I will be ready!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the rig off the trailer, where I stopped to find one of those portable jumpers, they wanted 80 bucks for, and it was one of those you plug into the cigarette lighter, so got a set of jumper cables, figured with mine and another 12 foot meant a total of 24 feet, could just join them together and jump the Dr. Jack from the Silverado, Noooooo, about two foot short, wasn't about to ask anyone here for a jump, so just took the battery out of the rig, then used the silverado to charge it with a set of jumper cables hooked to it's battery, the rig is sitting here running and charging now.
The folks next to me in 47B,(the one Chad was in last year) are from Houston, so we've been bs'ing, they are jeepers but don't have their rig with them, this is just a sight seeing trip for them, real nice folks. Another couple close by is from Tucson and they don't off road, just sight seeing for them, also a nice couple. Bryce and Brad, he gave the motor in the rig a damn nice compliament, said he had never heard a 4.0 run that smooth.
Weather is just frigging awsome, cold in the morning of course but just beautiful right now. Gas is 3.10 a gallon, but it is a tourist area.
Just gonna run into town and do some sight seeing today.
See other folks soon!!

Back