Could I get advice from Explorer owners? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could I get advice from Explorer owners?

shopping

Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching for a new car and have finally settled on a 2013 Ford Explorer - probably the XLT 202A package. All of my google searches with questions have led me to this board and I can see that there are a lot of knowledgable Explorer owners here, so thought maybe you'd be kind enough to give me some advice.

I decided on a Kodiak brown XLT with a lot of extras. I had also decided that I wanted the eco-boost engine because I'm so sick of pouring gas into my current Lincoln Aviator that I can't wait to get good (better) gas mileage.

Turns out there are no kodiak brown Explorers with the eco boost engine in the entire state of Texas where I live. We asked them to check Oklahoma and they found one but it has been badly hail damaged.

I have three options:

1) Order one -- six to eight weeks. With the summer vacations we have planned, I really can't wait six to eight weeks for a car. My Aviator has died.

2) Get one without the ecoboost engine. This was something I thought I really wanted, but maybe it's not that big of a deal. Three miles to every gallon sounds like a big deal to me, because I drive cars FOREVER until I replace them. I test-drove both ecoboost and regular engine XLT's and honestly didn't feel that much of a difference in the power. If the regular engine had a lot more power, I think I'd feel better about losing the gas mileage benefit, but in my short test drive, I didn't really feel the benefit of the regular engine. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is really something worth giving up?

3) I can get what I wanted in the XLT if I go to black with black leather interior. I have three messy kids and they always have messy friends, so black interior scares me. I know it will show everything more than the light stone interior that the kodiak brown model I liked had.

So can I get some advice? Should I give up the eco boost engine or try to live with messy kids and black leather? (I really did like that kodiak brown, too.) Thanks so much! I just want this shopping process to be over and to be driving a new Explorer soon!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go for non boost

Go for non boost

I agree! Really, there is a reason that you can't find the combo you want... And the reason is the ecoboost 2.0; don't do it. The gas savings over the 3.5 V6 won't pay anything back over the $1000 charge for the 2.0; I am against it but I don't mean to sound like a fanboy or anything but I am sure you would be rather satisfied with the standard 3.5 in the Ex over the optional 2.0

I presume you mean the 2 liter ecoboost....

I'd say that engine is underpowered for as heavy a car as the explorer is... the lil engine will be straining for the same amount of work that the v6 would handle easily...

We actually went in looking for small good mpg car for the wife's dd commuter, and since we had bought too many cars there - the salesman made her drive all of them, including the hybrids, and she chose the sport with twin turbos...
rated at 16 and 22 that's only 1 mpg less than the limited and mpg is more a factor of driving style than anything else (for similar cars...) she gets little over 20 mpg in her 40 mile dfw commute.... she loves it !

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, I assure you that you will hat the 2.0L. The reason you cant, or your dealer I mean cant find one, is because nobody orders it. If you cant even get a 4x4 in the motor that should be your first worry. If it cant handle 4WD how would it handle 4-7 passengers or god for bid luggage or anything. Do yourself a favor and get the V6.

And with reguards to the INT color. Get the dark as with the kids yes the light color will show everything. Great color choice though.

Best of luck.

I like the black leather interior on my Explorer Limited.

I had never had black leather on vehicle before, and was hesitant, but I really like it.

I agree with the V6 choice. I've had my 2012 for a year now, in all kinds of terrain and weather, and can attest to the decent MPG of the V6, smooth ride and shifting, and decent power. You won't beat much off the line with either choice, but the V6 has the torque for the size vehicle and passenger / luggage weight.

Don't pay extra, and go crazy trying to find the eco engine in your color choice. And unless you plan on more rough terrain than the occasional dirt or gravel road, don't even worry about the 4x4. I have FWD and it's gotten me through last year's blizzard in the midwest with no problems (in 8+ inches of standing snow), over snowy mountains in Vermont, and everyday commuting in New Jersey.

I love my Ex. Just wish I had the 10 way power seats....

Do the black interior, it hides a lot more of the dirt than the stone. I have the stone and if I don't clean it every week it gets very dirty. As far as the engine, if you can get a V6 fwd go for it. My boss's wife has my explorer with the ecoboost in it and she's averaging 23mpg and I'm averaging 21mpg with my V6 4x4.

...you need the 6 in this car. Forget about the rest unless you plan on driving 100% on flat even roads, and never have passengers or gear or trips to Ikea.
Mileage is fine in the 6.

May want to look at the slate grey interior, black is nice but its hotter n hell on the dash in summer, and the heatwave it creates reaches both driver and passenger. Also all dust, dirt, stains, or feet marks show on black right away.
The grey or tan likely would hide it better and you wouldnt see the dust as much.

1 issue that isnt exactly spelled out here or anywhere, is the question of durability of the design and durability of the build.

Stories of leaks, failing trim, front strut issues, rubber seals, -not one off items, but recurring things from multiple owners across the 2011-2013 models. Stuff that shouldnt be happening for at least over 50K miles.
Or not even - over 100k maybe?
Is it the design, the parts used, the execution, is it the quality control, is it all really sub par?
If its less than 1,2 or 3% does it even matter to Ford or any brand?
Man I hope so.

My Honda started to crap out at 135k,( but not the engine.)
Everything from electrical to exhaust system to tranny to differential was ready to fall onto the street. I babied the car, never leaned on it, and it was fine until, it wasnt. But it never leaked, always started, and you could hear anything funky happening and as long as I got it into the shop quickly, it was fixable...any shop would do...
now its like, the dealers tech are sloppy and have no clue, the leave sunroofs unbolted, safety belt harnesses unbolted, ...will they keep the car clean when they get in and out?
will the local guy do the same?
will they take care of the car when its waiting, when its on the rack?

...will they train a new guy on my car and tell him to put the interior back together, since that should be the easy' part?

As for software, I would bet the next update or release will solidify the platform.No way to know now, but to compete with everything, Ford has no choice but to spend on the platform, regardless if its updated or revamped.

Never mind all that, Ford sells a lot of Explorers, ask yourself what is the percentage of bad builds coming off the line, and will yours be one?
-lets hope not and lets hope the percentage drops to zero.

Many people hope to trade in a spotless 35k-70k miles car for a new one, others are hoping to own for 10+ years.
I hope so too.....

It appears, the 2013 has less of these growing pains than the prior 5th gen builds. I suppose the 2014 models will be the real test.

The good - around the burbs, the city, away from home, on the hiway, i have to tell you, the Explorer is hands down the nicest SUV out there, in its class.

Its a head turner, and the most frequent SUVs I see, are the exact opposite.

The Pilot, the Highlander, that fugly Nissan, any Lexus, the MDX -really damn ugly, uncharismatic, blah SUVs.
When you see them you dont give them a second look, but the Ex, always!
(except the Base...sorry gang but its true...)
Likely all very good cars though, quality builds and parts. High reliability ratings. Good features.(equipped Highlanders can drop the 2nd row middle seat into the floor allowing 3rd row access. Thats awesome. But did I want to buy one?-hell no.)

Same infotainment systems, only issue is stability and ease of use.
Honestly, the manual knobs for nav,phone, heat/ac are a must, -especially as a fail safe to the CPU crapping out.

I was stopped at a light a few days ago, and a new, shiny, just cleaned, still wet, white Highlander was driving by into the tunnel;
the driver was looking at my car the entire time as he crossed the intersection and began turning into the tunnel. He had to turn his head to look and did so the entire sloooow turn.

...and with that, good night and good luck.

Hi, I've been searching for a new car and have finally settled on a 2013 Ford Explorer - probably the XLT 202A package. All of my google searches with questions have led me to this board and I can see that there are a lot of knowledgable Explorer owners here, so thought maybe you'd be kind enough to give me some advice.

I decided on a Kodiak brown XLT with a lot of extras. I had also decided that I wanted the eco-boost engine because I'm so sick of pouring gas into my current Lincoln Aviator that I can't wait to get good (better) gas mileage.

Turns out there are no kodiak brown Explorers with the eco boost engine in the entire state of Texas where I live. We asked them to check Oklahoma and they found one but it has been badly hail damaged.

I have three options:

1) Order one -- six to eight weeks. With the summer vacations we have planned, I really can't wait six to eight weeks for a car. My Aviator has died.

2) Get one without the ecoboost engine. This was something I thought I really wanted, but maybe it's not that big of a deal. Three miles to every gallon sounds like a big deal to me, because I drive cars FOREVER until I replace them. I test-drove both ecoboost and regular engine XLT's and honestly didn't feel that much of a difference in the power. If the regular engine had a lot more power, I think I'd feel better about losing the gas mileage benefit, but in my short test drive, I didn't really feel the benefit of the regular engine. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is really something worth giving up?

3) I can get what I wanted in the XLT if I go to black with black leather interior. I have three messy kids and they always have messy friends, so black interior scares me. I know it will show everything more than the light stone interior that the kodiak brown model I liked had.

So can I get some advice? Should I give up the eco boost engine or try to live with messy kids and black leather? (I really did like that kodiak brown, too.) Thanks so much! I just want this shopping process to be over and to be driving a new Explorer soon!

The Ecoboost Inline 4 is definitely not what you would want to go for in such a big SUV like this. Maybe if you're doing lots of highway driving but still, it just isn't enough when it comes to the responsiveness. The size of the Explorer makes the turbolag more apparent. Go for the regular V6.

Here's my take again: We have a 202A equipped 2013 2.0L Ecoboost, with the stone leather. Go with black, stone is pretty easily soiled if you or the kids are not very careful. . You will like the comfort and ride, and the generous cargo space. The 3rd row seats are ok but just barely as they are not accessed very easily. Do NOT spend the extra $1000. on the EB motor. Driven easy, it gets no where close to the advertised gas mileage. I've been very disappointed, and the Dealers say there is no fix to make it better...You will get almost the same mileage with the V6.....You can look at some 2013's being tracked for mileage at www.fuelly.com And if you are a tecky, you may be disappointed in the MFT/Sync. It's not all it's cracked up to be either. best regards Plum

Thank you so much for your replies! I don't know a lot about cars. I thought I would probably get good advice on this board, and I did. You totally changed the car I was going to buy. Now I think we have found a Kodiak Brown/charcoal interior w/ a V6. I'm excited. I have one more question about the Kodiak Brown, but I think it should be a different thread. Thanks again! You changed my purchase. :)

I'll add to the chorus... don't get the ecoboost. It is underpowered and the gas mileage is only a few MPG better, if that. You'll never get that extra money back

I'll add to the chorus... don't get the ecoboost. It is underpowered and the gas mileage is only a few MPG better, if that. You'll never get that extra money back

Yeah, well too late for me. I bought the 2013 Explorer with 2.0 Ecoboost. It is a small engine for the SUV, but also runs better than my old chrysler sebring 4 cylinder as well.

But so far we love it it works good and would have rather bought the sport, but well, maybe next time.

Yeah, well too late for me. I bought the 2013 Explorer with 2.0 Ecoboost. It is a small engine for the SUV, but also runs better than my old chrysler sebring 4 cylinder as well.

But so far we love it it works good and would have rather bought the sport, but well, maybe next time.

What kind of gas mileage do you get? The best I have gotten in the V6 all highway was 23.. with my mixed highway and city driving I usually get anywhere from 17-21

I want to say a big thanks to all who helped me. I just drove home my new Explorer and couldn't be happier. You helped me in my selection of options, and from reading other threads in here, we decided to get the extended warranty and negotiated a better price on that as well. Thanks! Happy driving! :)

WHAT !?!? no pics - no way !!!

what did you end up with and pics or it didn't happen :)

2013/2014 LIMITED with 2.0 ECOBOOST.

Can anyone with first hand experience speak to the 2.0 in line 4 cylinder in the Ford Explorer. (240hp & 270 torque) Do you find it adequate to move this vehicle to get to work, shopping & trips etc? I realize this is not an engine for towing. I have no need to tow. What is your experience with the mileage? Does it get anywhere close to 20/28/24? Any first hand information you can share would be appreciated. I like the Explorer Limited, however I'm tired of spending money on gas guzzlers and the two v-6's are very thirsty.
Regards.:usa:

Can anyone with first hand experience speak to the 2.0 in line 4 cylinder in the Ford Explorer. (240hp & 270 torque) Do you find it adequate to move this vehicle to get to work, shopping & trips etc? I realize this is not an engine for towing. I have no need to tow. What is your experience with the mileage? Does it get anywhere close to 20/28/24? Any first hand information you can share would be appreciated. I like the Explorer Limited, however I'm tired of spending money on gas guzzlers and the two v-6's are very thirsty.
Welcome to the Forum BLUESURF.:wavey:
I advise you to read the posts in this thread. They may or may not help you.
I have moved your post to this thread.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To answer your question Yes to all. I have this same vehicle and I use it for daily errands. It runs great on the road and very powerful compared to the 4 cylinder engines I used to own.

When stepping on the gas you feel the power of the engine and it picks up very well. I have gone to Yosemite national park and I had my wife, daughter, mother and father with me. We had the back seats folded and carried a cooler with ice and plenty of food, chairs, stroller, small gas stove, and luggage, since we stayed in a resort close by. I went up a steep hill and the small but powerful engine handled it very well with all of us and all the equipment.

With millage I do notice a bit less than my old 4 cylinder car, but not as much, considering the bigger vehicle and the smaller engine. With a full tank I will go to and from work the whole week, and I travel 18 miles each way.

For towing large things it will not be possible without stressing the engine, though I think it has enough power to tow a small camping trailer or two jet skies (which i plan to purchase some day). Other than that, If I had to choose again, I would choose the same engine, unless I had to tow or needed more power.

Back